Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

If this is declared to be a pandemic, a number of things will happen.  Let's just take one example of the knock on effects - schools will close.  Those children will have to stay home.  One of the parents of those children will need to stay home because there will be no group activities for those children to go to. People will lose income, productivity will drop etc etc. 

The authorities are not going to close schools because of a car accident.

grumbler

Schools will close whether this is declared a pandemic or not.  What would change with the declaration of a pandemic is that automatic plans will go into effect, some of which will include pre-emptive closing of schools.  But it won't result in the closing of all schools indefinitely.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 27, 2020, 03:45:21 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on February 27, 2020, 03:40:39 AM
I also think the media's been reasonably responsible so far - if anything the big, slightly hysterical reaction is in the markets. This may not be hysterical but at the minute seems a little disproportionate.

Or just a good excuse for investors to pull out of an over valued market

Context is helpful - the S&P is still safely above levels from a few months ago. 
It's reasonable to expect there will be some economic hit where manufacturing activity in the Chinese world hub is down and the true scope of the problem is unknown due to the government's lack of transparency.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: alfred russel on February 27, 2020, 10:02:13 AM
Every year 1.3 million or so are killed in auto accidents with many more seriously injured. I still drive to work every day.

I doubt you would drive to work every day if you had a 2.6% chance of dying each trip.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

alfred russel

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 27, 2020, 11:14:30 AM
If this is declared to be a pandemic, a number of things will happen.  Let's just take one example of the knock on effects - schools will close.  Those children will have to stay home.  One of the parents of those children will need to stay home because there will be no group activities for those children to go to. People will lose income, productivity will drop etc etc. 

The authorities are not going to close schools because of a car accident.

Totally agree that there will be a significant economic impact from coronavirus.

That doesn't mean that the approach taken to the disease is proportionate to the threat.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

merithyn

Quote from: Tyr on February 27, 2020, 05:46:14 AM
I do wonder whether anyone on languish has had it yet and just not realised.

Seedy works at a hospital with multiple CV patients right now. Luckily, he doesn't have direct patient care, but he does directly deal with the caregivers. So far he's fine, but they just hit his space in the last week or so. He's also a relatively healthy younger man compared to a geriatric patient with COPD.

Still.... a person worries. :(
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

alfred russel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 27, 2020, 12:20:33 PM
Every year 1.3 million or so are killed in auto accidents with many more seriously injured. I still drive to work every day.

I doubt you would drive to work every day if you had a 2.6% chance of dying each trip.

I got jumped on for bad math...damn...if I went to work 200 days in the year I'd only have a 0.5% chance of surviving the year!

The traffic fatality rate in India is something like 50 times higher than in many western countries. Yet expats continue to move there and take cars to get to work.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on February 27, 2020, 12:36:27 PM
Quote from: Tyr on February 27, 2020, 05:46:14 AM
I do wonder whether anyone on languish has had it yet and just not realised.

Seedy works at a hospital with multiple CV patients right now. Luckily, he doesn't have direct patient care, but he does directly deal with the caregivers. So far he's fine, but they just hit his space in the last week or so. He's also a relatively healthy younger man compared to a geriatric patient with COPD.

Still.... a person worries. :(

Is he still smoking?  That's supposed to be a risk factor, or so they think.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

That's some bullshit math and you know it.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: alfred russel on February 27, 2020, 12:36:38 PM
The traffic fatality rate in India is something like 50 times higher than in many western countries. Yet expats continue to move there and take cars to get to work.

How many fatalities involve motorbikes?  Because I wouldn't drive in one of those.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on February 27, 2020, 12:43:07 PM

Is it? What is being compared?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on February 27, 2020, 12:36:38 PM
The traffic fatality rate in India is something like 50 times higher than in many western countries.

Not really.  It is ten times that of the US and not even 50 times that of Norway, the lowest rate in the industrialized world (only San Marino is lower).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

:hmm:  That's not math at all.

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

The math is fine, the comparison is bullshit.

People make individual decisions to drive each day because the probability of a fatality occurring is extremely low for that trip.  Total fatalities annually across the entire population are relatively high because the conduct is repeated so many times across the population.  The virus presents a much different situation - instead of endlessly repeated exposures to a tiny risk, it is a single exposure to a moderate risk.

The simple fact is if this virus spreads like the flu there are going to be very large number of deaths. 
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 27, 2020, 12:46:03 PM

Is it? What is being compared?
I assume the intent is to compare the deadliness of exposure to various risk factors, such as viruses and car accidents.  No one is going to be catching the same virus twice a day every day.