0 (0%)
Just live action
3 (6.7%)
NOTHING. I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING DUNE RELATED
2 (4.4%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Caliga

Quote from: Syt on September 17, 2021, 02:51:17 PM
(/ˈhɑːrkoʊnən/[2] or /hɑːrˈkoʊnən/), their reference for stress on first syllable is a reading by Frank Herbert: http://usul.net/books/sounds.htm
Ok well I'll take Frank Herbert's word for it.  He would know. :sleep:

Also he pronounces Chani's name like Dick Cheney.  I thought it was 'CHAHN-ee'.  I like my way better.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

Yeah, Chani's pronunciation was a surprise. :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

Quote from: Syt on September 17, 2021, 03:04:39 PM
I'm guessing all of my pronunciations come from the Lynch movie since that was my first exposure to the Dune universe.

The Brain

Quote from: Caliga on September 17, 2021, 03:07:43 PM
Quote from: Syt on September 17, 2021, 03:04:39 PM
I'm guessing all of my pronunciations come from the Lynch movie since that was my first exposure to the Dune universe.

It's Duniverse, n00b.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

HVC

Frankie Herbert says relax?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

Read the book as a young teenager. Saw the Lynch movie some years later. Played the game some years after that.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Iormlund

Just came back from the theater. I liked it.

Despite being a fan of Lynch's clusterfuck, I liked especially that it feels distinct, its own thing. They not only changed aesthetics and cast, they also used different stuff from the book to create a different flow.

Volume was a tad too loud though.  :P

fromtia

Watched the Villeneuve version in the movie theatre yesterday. I thought it was a spectacular achievement, I loved it unreservedly. The score was a bit...extra, as the young folk say, a bit overwhelming at first, but it made sense as the movie progressed. I read the book again recently, knowing that the new movie was coming. I had loved the book on my first encounter at 13 , a year before the Lynch version arrived in theatres in the UK. reading the book at 51 was much more rewarding than reading it at 13. I have no plans to read the others though, I got as far as God Emperor in my teens.

Villeneuves version does a great job of bringing the themes, characters and locations to the screen. It does owe some things to the Lynch version, some of the design, but succeeds wildly beyond the Lynch one, although I do have a special fondness for the smoldering train wreck that Lynch made.

Good reviews all round it seems, some griping and a smattering of maoist identitarian nonsense about white savior and cultural appropriation, thus is the spirit of the age for some miserablists.

5 out of a possible 5 fromtia points.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Iormlund

I thought the score was pretty unremarkable.

Nothing gripped me as Eno's Prophecy or Toto's Trip to Arrakis did back in the day.

mongers

Quote from: fromtia on November 08, 2021, 04:13:03 PM
Watched the Villeneuve version in the movie theatre yesterday. I thought it was a spectacular achievement, I loved it unreservedly. The score was a bit...extra, as the young folk say, a bit overwhelming at first, but it made sense as the movie progressed. I read the book again recently, knowing that the new movie was coming. I had loved the book on my first encounter at 13 , a year before the Lynch version arrived in theatres in the UK. reading the book at 51 was much more rewarding than reading it at 13. I have no plans to read the others though, I got as far as God Emperor in my teens.

Villeneuves version does a great job of bringing the themes, characters and locations to the screen. It does owe some things to the Lynch version, some of the design, but succeeds wildly beyond the Lynch one, although I do have a special fondness for the smoldering train wreck that Lynch made.

Good reviews all round it seems, some griping and a smattering of maoist identitarian nonsense about white savior and cultural appropriation, thus is the spirit of the age for some miserablists.

5 out of a possible 5 fromtia points.

Formtia, good to hear from you and your excellent review has convinced me to watch it.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Larch

Quote from: Iormlund on November 08, 2021, 05:49:25 PM
I thought the score was pretty unremarkable.

Nothing gripped me as Eno's Prophecy or Toto's Trip to Arrakis did back in the day.

There are many adjectives that come to my mind to describe the modern Dune's soundtrack, unremarkable would never be one of them.

The Minsky Moment

[some minor spoilers but meaningless unless you already know the story]

I finally saw it.  Villeneuve has a real talent for creating a visual gestalt that is uncanny but internally coherent.  I won't go so far as to say is he created THE Dune or Hebert's Dune but it's A Dune and its compelling and believable and immersive.  And he understands how to use the medium to tell the story - one of the many areas Lynch stumbled badly.  The Salusa Secundus scene although contrary to book canon (no outsiders allowed) tells you everything you need to know about the Sardaukar without a word of exposition.  Some niggling issues including some bad displays of water discipline (we've learned IRL how tricky mask usage can be . . .) but the only thing that bothered me were the ending scenes. It does end on a note of triumphalism which I think does play into the anachronistic "woke" critiques.  The funeral scene from the book does not occur here - perhaps it is being saved for the next part, but room should have been found to put it at the end of this part.  Paul's appeal to the Fremen is not that he is an effective fighter - that is a necessary but far from sufficient condition.  It is his spiritual authority - and that should have been the closing note.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson