3 (6.7%)
NOTHING. I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING DUNE RELATED
2 (4.4%)

Total Members Voted: 45

crazy canuck

The books and then the movie

dps

Quote from: Delirium on February 22, 2019, 03:31:42 PM
First book, about four times in a row - David Lynch video release - Second book, two times - Avalon Hill boardgame. Never played it as a computer game, and never read beyond the second book.

Yeah, I'd even forgotten there were computer games--I was familiar with the old AH boardgame.  I may still have a copy.

Barrister

Pretty sure I saw the Lynch movie, which caused me to go to the books.  I think I read the series twice, and both times I stopped mid-way through God Emperor.

Didn't have a PC in the early 90s, so never played the game (though I was aware of it and wished I could).

I saw the mini series at some point and was underwhelmed.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Maximus

Read the original book, went "meh" and didn't read any of the others. Then several decades later I played the board game. So books -> games for me.

Monoriu

I played the Dune 2 game without knowing anything about the books or the universe.  Absolutely loved it.  My first real-time-strategy game ever, and one of my most memorable gaming experiences.  Then I watched the live-action movie.  It was ok.  Then I tried the book.  Could not get past the first 50 pages or so.

Monoriu

One of the things that bothered me was, there were three factions in the game.  Red (bad guys), blue (good guys) and green.  I played green.  Then I watched the movie and read a part of the book.  Green wasn't even there  :lol:

KRonn

I read the books years ago, I think about thirty years ago.  Absolutely loved the books! Then I got at least one computer game of it, not sure if there were more games. Never played a live action game which I assume is an on line game?

Oexmelin

I believe live action refers to movie and/or miniseries
Que le grand cric me croque !

Maladict

Quote from: Monoriu on February 22, 2019, 06:43:55 PM
One of the things that bothered me was, there were three factions in the game.  Red (bad guys), blue (good guys) and green.  I played green.  Then I watched the movie and read a part of the book.  Green wasn't even there  :lol:

I'm shocked, SHOCKED, you would play House Ordos.  :D

KRonn

Ah, ok. I've seen the 1984 movie, looking forward to the new movie now.  :)

PRC

Denis Villeneuve is apparently doing a two movie project in production now. 

grumbler

Books, then Lynch movie, then TV miniseries.  Never saw any LARP for Dune.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

fromtia

I first read about Dune in 1978 in a British magazine called Starburst which had a short article about Jodorowskys attempt to make it with a Gieger illustration of something Harkonnen and a Foss Illustartion of 'Duke Leto's groundcar". I was eight and had no idea what any of this about, but cool pictures.

I had a nasty bout of what the British called 'glandular fever' (Mononucleosis) in 1982 which kept me in bed for about six weeks. In order to prevent me from attempting to move around my parents would give me science fiction novels because they knew I would be completely absorbed by them. They gave me Dune and I loved it , read the first three books sick in bed aged 12.

Delightful and loving people that they are they bought my brothers and I a copy of the Avalon Hill board game for Christmas. Great game!

The Lynch movie came next in 84.

I have yet to play any of the computer games. I disliked the miniseries. I eagerly anticipate the Villeneuve movies.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on February 22, 2019, 06:43:55 PM

The Ordos were mentioned in the Dune Encyclopedia, so they were not entirely made up by Westwood. And yes Dune 2 is one of the best games of all time, it started the 1990s RTS craze.

Though even at the time I thought it was weird how Dune 2 was in an entirely different genre from Dune 1. Besides both using the same source material the games are completely unrelated, even being made by different studios.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Maximus

Quote from: Oexmelin on February 22, 2019, 09:16:34 PM
I believe live action refers to movie and/or miniseries
Huh, I was surprised at how many languishites were into Dune LARP.