Just live action
3 (6.7%)
NOTHING. I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING DUNE RELATED
2 (4.4%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 05, 2019, 12:48:33 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 05, 2019, 12:46:50 PM
Dune 2 was pretty amazing wasn't it? Though I the temptation to Tim every-time the Harkonnen death missile hit you was uncomfortably high.

I am intrigued as to what the missing verb might be.

"admit"

"I admit the temptation to Tim every-time the Harkonnen death missle hit you was uncomfortably high"
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on March 05, 2019, 12:49:14 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 05, 2019, 12:48:33 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 05, 2019, 12:46:50 PM
Dune 2 was pretty amazing wasn't it? Though I the temptation to Tim every-time the Harkonnen death missile hit you was uncomfortably high.

I am intrigued as to what the missing verb might be.

"admit"

"I admit the temptation to Tim every-time the Harkonnen death missle hit you was uncomfortably high"

I was thinking about the verb of what you were tempted to do to Tim every time a Harkonnen missile hit.  Granted it is not his fault, but that should not stop you.

The Brain

Dune 2 was totally awesome.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

I started reading Dune last night on my flight to Chicago and so far I agree that it's an excellent book. :yes:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Drakken

Never made past Children of Dune. I've attempted a few times, but always stopped when Leto II finds Jacurutu, overdose in spice, then let himself be covered in magical sandtrouts.

To me, the charm of Dune was about the politics and events of the space opera with the Emperor, Paul and Shani, Jessica and the Bene Gesserit, The Baron and the Harkonnen stooges, the fremen, etc., around Arrakis as the most valuable planet in the known universe. While Dune Messiah still fits that mold to a certain point what happens after is, well, kinda non-sensical.

grumbler

Quote from: Drakken on March 09, 2019, 01:21:21 AM
Never made past Children of Dune. I've attempted a few times, but always stopped when Leto II finds Jacurutu, overdose in spice, then let himself be covered in magical sandtrouts.

To me, the charm of Dune was about the politics and events of the space opera with the Emperor, Paul and Shani, Jessica and the Bene Gesserit, The Baron and the Harkonnen stooges, the fremen, etc., around Arrakis as the most valuable planet in the known universe. While Dune Messiah still fits that mold to a certain point what happens after is, well, kinda non-sensical.

The original book was built around the idea that it was the Fremen, not the spice, that made Dune such a significant planet.  Herbert forgot that in the later books.

There was a theory going around when Dune was written that Herbert did not, in fact, write it.  It was such a radical departure from anything he wrote before or after that the theory had some legs.  Nothing ever came of it, so it likely was just one of those theories, but I still wonder about that when I reread Dune and remember all of the bad books Herbert wrote.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

I keep fizzling out trying to watch or read the second book.
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

In other threads, after I finished reading the original Dune I declared it the best science fiction novel I'd ever read, by far (I've read probably 200+).

I am now finishing Children of Dune and I really enjoy it, but it's not as good as the original, and Messiah wasn't even close, but I appreciated what Herbert was trying to do with it.

I am totally stoked for the movie, too, but I watched the latest trailer for it and they pronounce Harkonnen as 'HARK-a-ninn'.  I always thought it was 'har-KONN-inn'.  Was it the latter in the Lynch movie?  Why did I think that? :hmm:

The Brain

It was har-KONE-en in Dune 2.

Caliga

Quote from: The Brain on September 17, 2021, 02:44:00 PM
I played it but don't remember much about it... :hmm:

Syt

Just asked a Finn, in Finnish the emphasis is always on the first syllable, though he said the Finnish equivalient name would be Härkönen (only two ns).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on September 17, 2021, 02:41:57 PM
I am totally stoked for the movie, too, but I watched the latest trailer for it and they pronounce Harkonnen as 'HARK-a-ninn'.  I always thought it was 'har-KONN-inn'.  Was it the latter in the Lynch movie?  Why did I think that? :hmm:

I'm sure in the Lynch movie (and pretty sure in the mini-series) the emphasis was on the second syllable.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Wiki at least allows both versions:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Harkonnen

(/ˈhɑːrkoʊnən/[2] or /hɑːrˈkoʊnən/), their reference for stress on first syllable is a reading by Frank Herbert: http://usul.net/books/sounds.htm
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

Quote from: Syt on September 17, 2021, 02:47:45 PM
Just asked a Finn, in Finnish the emphasis is always on the first syllable, though he said the Finnish equivalient name would be Härkönen (only two ns).
I did assume the name was derived from Finnish, but I don't know to speak Finnish, so that's no help. :)

I also assumed Atreides came from Greek, and in fact Children of Dune confirms that, as I found out recently while reading it.

The Brain

Quote from: Caliga on September 17, 2021, 02:45:32 PM
Quote from: The Brain on September 17, 2021, 02:44:00 PM
I played it but don't remember much about it... :hmm:

"The noble Atreides. The insidious Ordos. And the EVIL Harkonnen."