News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

About those peaceful antifa protests...

Started by viper37, August 20, 2017, 02:54:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on December 19, 2018, 02:27:02 PM
Then he turned around and said he liked jews and hated Nazis. He's a weird dude with an ultra-abrasive sense of humor. But I don't think he was speaking for the Proud Boys when he said it.

This kind of reminds of when you were defending Randy Weaver from the accusation that he was in the Aryan Nations.  He just kept showing up to their rallies, that's all.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zoupa

Then he turned around and said he liked jews and hated Nazis. He's a weird dude with an ultra-abrasive sense of humor. But I don't think he was speaking for the Proud Boys when he said it.

:bleeding:

grumbler

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on December 19, 2018, 06:28:11 PM
...  There is a lot more to Fascist ideology than just racism and/or antisemitism.   
Precisely.  Fascism is an ideology, and claiming that people who don't hold that ideology are "fascists" or "Nazis" just makes the claimant sound emo and silly.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on December 19, 2018, 08:11:10 PM
...  There is a lot more to Fascist ideology than just racism and/or antisemitism.   
Precisely.  Fascism is an ideology, and claiming that people who don't hold that ideology are "fascists" or "Nazis" just makes the claimant sound emo and silly.

You were calling everyone a Nazi last week!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 19, 2018, 04:10:35 PM
...or am I missing important differences between the two?

Yes, for starters the Red Scare was the creation of politicians in the US.  A certain senator comes to mind.  Today your president gives a wink and a nod to white nationalists.  Your comparison would work if he was Antifa.

Eddie Teach

I don't think that's a critical distinction. Yi was comparing two mindsets, not likening Trump to McCarthy.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sophie Scholl

One does not need to be a card carrying member of a Fascist organization or group to sympathize with, assist, or turn a blind eye to the actions of said groups though.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

grumbler

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on December 20, 2018, 02:04:33 AM
One does not need to be a card carrying member of a Fascist organization or group to sympathize with, assist, or turn a blind eye to the actions of said groups though.

So you are now arguing that there is NOT "a lot more to Fascist ideology than just racism and/or antisemitism?"  Or is your statement a non sequitur?  Fascists are fascists - they share a common ideology.  Nazis are a subset of Fascists, with a bunch of racism stuff thrown in.  The Communist party of the USSR (and the Third International, for that matter) assisted and turned a blind eye to the actions of Nazis.  Does this make Marxists into Nazis?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on December 19, 2018, 07:13:15 PM

This kind of reminds of when you were defending Randy Weaver from the accusation that he was in the Aryan Nations.  He just kept showing up to their rallies, that's all.

That was not what I said.  Please try to be honest.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

crazy canuck

Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 20, 2018, 01:07:15 AM
I don't think that's a critical distinction. Yi was comparing two mindsets, not likening Trump to McCarthy.

Ok, others might see a distinction between government actions and non governmental actions.

dps

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on December 20, 2018, 09:02:32 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 19, 2018, 07:13:15 PM

That was not what I said.  Please try to be honest.

Aw, now you have gone and made me look through the files.

QuoteIs that the same thing as being okay with [Weaver]?  I've never been okay with him. 

Anyway, my impression was that he attended a couple of their meetings to make contacts with them since they more or less faced a common "enemy".  Extremist types do this a lot-- this does not necessarily mean a full endorsement of each other's views or agenda.  It's obviously bad enough that he didn't have any qualms about attending the meetings. 

Randy Weaver may well be a racist-- I don't know and really don't care.  He's sufficiently weird and marginalized to where it really doesn't make much difference to me.

http://languish.org/forums/index.php/topic,11445.125.html

Quote[Weaver] apparently attended some of their meetings and then at some point had a falling out with them.  But my understanding is that various fringe groups/types tend to make contacts with each other.  He could have been a white supremicist.  Or he could have just been indifferent to it & wanted to make business contacts with them or whatever. 

But I guess we're splitting hairs here-- he was a big conspiracy nutter and certainly no hero to me.  I actually saw him once at a gun show in Maryland.  He was there selling/signing his book.  Oddly enough he wasn't getting much attention as both times I walked by his table he had nobody else there.  He had a really weird (crazy weird) look in his eyes but also seemed to be a bit sad/fatalistic.  Maybe because nobody was buying his book :D
http://languish.org/forums/index.php/topic,9578.100.html

QuoteYeah.  Not sure [Weaver] was totally one of them, though.  But we've had that discussion before

http://languish.org/forums/index.php/topic,10497.1000.html

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 20, 2018, 11:33:36 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 20, 2018, 01:07:15 AM

Ok, others might see a distinction between government actions and non governmental actions.

Was the blacklist a government action?