About those peaceful antifa protests...

Started by viper37, August 20, 2017, 02:54:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

Ok, so how about we not worry about the biology in our nomenclature and instead focus on gender - we could say "identifies as X" with X being the gender, which we have already said is based both on culture and biology.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Admiral Yi

That's reasonable, but you do need a noun form.  An identifier as X? A female identifier?  A male identifier?

PDH

Well, since we have said that this system needs to work with cultures that might have more than two genders, "male" and "female" work, but there needs to be additional words accepted too if the society has more than that.

My whole point, of course, is that biological sex and social gender can be the same, or different.  As Western Culture is undergoing some radical shifts these direct "two sexes, two genders - always fixed" is changing.  Where will it play out?   Who knows, but I think we do need to understand that the situation is fluid and has been so for a few decades.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Josquius

Quote from: 11B4V on December 29, 2018, 05:23:48 PM
[
Then compete as your true gender. Or don't compete at all.

Thats the Texas policy from your second article.
It is leading to this guy born a woman pumped full of hormones and entirely seeming a normal guy wiping the floor with all competition.
██████
██████
██████

Josquius

Quote from: PDH on December 29, 2018, 08:44:40 PM
Well, since we have said that this system needs to work with cultures that might have more than two genders, "male" and "female" work, but there needs to be additional words accepted too if the society has more than that.

My whole point, of course, is that biological sex and social gender can be the same, or different.  As Western Culture is undergoing some radical shifts these direct "two sexes, two genders - always fixed" is changing.  Where will it play out?   Who knows, but I think we do need to understand that the situation is fluid and has been so for a few decades.

To be fair we logically also need 2 words for gay but keep muddling through with one.
Men who have sex with men is a bit of a mouthful. (oo err)
██████
██████
██████

Solmyr

Quote from: 11B4V on December 29, 2018, 05:38:55 PM
Quote from: Solmyr on December 29, 2018, 05:36:35 PM
Quote from: Tyr on December 28, 2018, 06:26:05 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on December 27, 2018, 08:17:17 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 27, 2018, 02:41:14 PM
Why not?

https://www.bjjee.com/articles/transgender-mma-fighter-breaks-female-opponents-skull-are-we-getting-too-politically-correct-with-reality/

Utter BS

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2018/02/25/transgender-wrestler-mack-beggs-wins-second-texas-state-girls-championship/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.39d389f7fbe9

https://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/06/06/transgender-freshman-sprinter-born-a-male-wins-two-girls-state-championships

A bit misrepresented in the reporting of the second one I've seen.  Odd you'd include it with the others since it's a case for the other pov.
The issue is its a FTM transgender person who due to conservative rules is forced to compete with women.
This being high school level there's no protections against doping.
Transgender men competing with men on this amateur level  is a bit less of a problem and should be allowed. It's the other way around and at top levels where things are iffy.
Seems wrong to utterly deny them access to sport though they do have a natural advantage.

The true gender of a trans woman is woman. :huh:

Hogwash.

Fuck transphobes.

Sophie Scholl

"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

chipwich

Quote from: Solmyr on December 30, 2018, 03:45:05 AM
Why not?

https://www.bjjee.com/articles/transgender-mma-fighter-breaks-female-opponents-skull-are-we-getting-too-politically-correct-with-reality/

Utter BS

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2018/02/25/transgender-wrestler-mack-beggs-wins-second-texas-state-girls-championship/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.39d389f7fbe9

https://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/06/06/transgender-freshman-sprinter-born-a-male-wins-two-girls-state-championships

A bit misrepresented in the reporting of the second one I've seen.  Odd you'd include it with the others since it's a case for the other pov.
The issue is its a FTM transgender person who due to conservative rules is forced to compete with women.
Transgender men competing with men on this amateur level  is a bit less of a problem and should be allowed. It's the other way around and at top levels where things are iffy.
Seems wrong to utterly deny them access to sport though they do have a natural advantage.

Hogwash.

Fuck transphobes.

Fuck You. Lets see how far this pyramid can get.

Syt

Why not?

Utter BS

Hogwash.

So you're saying our BuddhaRhubarb here isn't a woman?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on December 30, 2018, 03:08:07 AM
[

It is leading to this guy born a woman pumped full of hormones and entirely seeming a normal guy wiping the floor with all competition.

Perhaps both trans women and transmen have advantages that should force them into the (unrestricted) men's leagues.

The whole point of women's sports is to let (cis-) women play competitive sports without biological disadvantages.

I don't see why acceptance of trans people means we have to pretend they're exactly the same as their chosen gender. It makes more sense to expand the number of genders.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 30, 2018, 05:40:23 AM
Quote from: Tyr on December 30, 2018, 03:08:07 AM
[

Perhaps both trans women and transmen have advantages that should force them into the (unrestricted) men's leagues.

The whole point of women's sports is to let (cis-) women play competitive sports without biological disadvantages.

I don't see why acceptance of trans people means we have to pretend they're exactly the same as their chosen gender. It makes more sense to expand the number of genders.

There are many points of women's sports. In some cases it's because ultra-sensitive ME men don't want to get their asses kicked by women.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Solmyr

Is it a given that all trans women have physical advantages over all cis women? What about cis women who are very buff and muscular, should they also be banned?

Sports can have weight classes (where it's relevant), but dividing them by gender is simplistic and does not really solve any problems.

Camerus

By allowing transwomen, competitive women's sports becomes far more difficult for "cis-women" to succeed in (thus undermining the main point of women's leagues), however much one may wish it otherwise for moral or ideological reasons.

Is that a price worth paying to allow transwomen to compete? I think it's reasonable to say no, including from a feminist perspective.

Berkut

Quote from: Solmyr on December 30, 2018, 08:52:05 AM

Is it a given that all trans women have physical advantages over all cis women? What about cis women who are very buff and muscular, should they also be banned?

Sports can have weight classes (where it's relevant), but dividing them by gender is simplistic and does not really solve any problems.

The biological advantage that "traditional" men have over women physically are not only limited to weight.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

11B4V

Quote from: Solmyr on December 30, 2018, 03:45:05 AM
Why not?

Utter BS

Hogwash.

Fuck transphobes.

Your an idiot
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".