Tensions high in Himalayas as China demands Indian troop withdrawal

Started by jimmy olsen, July 05, 2017, 08:12:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 07, 2017, 01:04:12 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 07, 2017, 12:24:06 AM
He meant misspelling Martim, not changing the ambassador's name.

Wait, really? Until you made this post I was 100% sure that was his name.

FFS
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

Quote from: The Brain on July 07, 2017, 01:24:24 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 07, 2017, 01:04:12 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 07, 2017, 12:24:06 AM
He meant misspelling Martim, not changing the ambassador's name.

Wait, really? Until you made this post I was 100% sure that was his name.

FFS

It's classic Jmimy Olsno

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

I have to give the edge to the Chinese.  The Indians haven't learned anything since Wounded Knee. 

DGuller

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 11, 2017, 07:54:38 PM
I have to give the edge to the Chinese.  The Indians haven't learned anything since Wounded Knee.

I laughed
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

Can't the Indians just cut China off from fuel shipments from the middle east?  Hard to see Trump objecting.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jacob

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 12, 2017, 08:51:15 AM
Can't the Indians just cut China off from fuel shipments from the middle east?  Hard to see Trump objecting.

Too bad for China they don't share a land border with any oil producing countries.

I'm sure it'll be trivial for India to stop the shipment of oil on supertankers via international waters flying, say, American flags.

So yeah, I guess they can Tim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on August 11, 2017, 07:58:56 PM
Doesn't look like either side is prepared to climb down.

The Indians just want to curry favor with the international community.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Jacob on August 12, 2017, 05:24:17 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 12, 2017, 08:51:15 AM

Too bad for China they don't share a land border with any oil producing countries.

I'm sure it'll be trivial for India to stop the shipment of oil on supertankers via international waters flying, say, American flags.

So yeah, I guess they can Tim.

They get 80% of their oil from the middle east IIRC. Russia can't replace that al at once.

I thought all these tankers bore flags of African countries that have no regulations.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 12, 2017, 05:57:20 PM
They get 80% of their oil from the middle east IIRC. Russia can't replace that al at once.

I thought all these tankers bore flags of African countries that have no regulations.

Sure.

Do you imagine India will attack African registered ships owned by multinational corporations in international waters?

Let's for argument's sake say "yes".

What would that do to the price China is willing to pay for oil? I reckon it has the potential to increase the margins enough that it would cover the cost of using American registered ships.

There'll be no choking off of international shipping without American buy-in, imo. So the answer to your original question is likely "no" (and that is, of course, assuming that the Indian navy outclasses the Chinese one or even has the capability to stop shipping on the high seas).

dps

Quote from: Jacob on August 12, 2017, 07:24:49 PM

There'll be no choking off of international shipping without American buy-in, imo. So the answer to your original question is likely "no" (and that is, of course, assuming that the Indian navy outclasses the Chinese one or even has the capability to stop shipping on the high seas).

I'll certainly buy the proposition that the Indian Navy outclasses the Chinese Navy.

I'd say at a guess that the Indian Navy has some ability to interdict shipping in the Indian Ocean.  I don't think that the could totally cut off all shipping, but OTOH, supertankers are pretty big objects, and it would probably be a lot easier to interdict them than it would be to interdict general shipping.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?