News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Globalisation

Started by Richard Hakluyt, May 08, 2017, 02:25:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you regard yourself as a winner or loser from the process of globalisation?

Winner
26 (51%)
Loser
7 (13.7%)
Neither
16 (31.4%)
Jaron should be deported to Mexico
2 (3.9%)

Total Members Voted: 51

PDH

Quote from: dps on May 12, 2017, 04:46:53 PM

I thought it was an odd notion, too, but I didn't get it from Clan of the Cave Bear.  I can't remember where I did get it from, but it was somewhat backed up when I later came across a reference to the natives of the Nicobar Islands (I think it was the Nicobars) didn't know about the link between intercourse and pregnancy at the time they were first encountered by Europeans.

My first thought would be to take such things with a grain of salt.  The one of the major views in the Age of Discovery was that the natives were simple childlike people, and a lot of the things written about them were in this vein.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

CountDeMoney

Clan of the Cave Bear movie :bleeding:

It'll make you rent Quest for Fire, so you can immolate yourself for watching it.

PDH

Clan of the Cave Bear (book) was talked about a lot when I was doing my MA in Anthropology.  Mostly it was talked about as wrong and how it got a generation of people into Anthropology with fucked up ideas...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

CountDeMoney

Quote from: PDH on May 12, 2017, 07:10:12 PM
Clan of the Cave Bear (book) was talked about a lot when I was doing my MA in Anthropology.  Mostly it was talked about as wrong and how it got a generation of people into Anthropology with fucked up ideas...

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/unfrozen-caveman-lawyer/2862211

Berkut

That is fucking stupid. I hate people who complain about populat culture in that manner.

If it gets people into anthropology, that is good. Full stop.

Anyone it gets in who is fucking stupid enough to be stunned once they get in that this work of fiction doesn't align well with actual science, was never going to make it as a scientist to begin with, so who cares?

Science needs to embrace *anything* in our fucking anti-science culture that gets people interested. Obscure, poorly funded, niche sciences like anthropology even more so than others.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

Imagine 11B's surprise that the army wasn't like Sgt. Bilko at all. 

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on May 14, 2017, 11:57:05 AM

That is fucking stupid. I hate people who complain about populat culture in that manner.

Anyone it gets in who is fucking stupid enough to be stunned once they get in that this work of fiction doesn't align well with actual science, was never going to make it as a scientist to begin with, so who cares?

Science needs to embrace *anything* in our fucking anti-science culture that gets people interested. Obscure, poorly funded, niche sciences like anthropology even more so than others.

Uh, anthropology isn't like physics or astronomy.  It doesn't weed out people with wrong ideas so easily.  Profoundly stupid ideas have remained mainstream in the "softer sciences".  You still have people trying to prove Margaret Murray's theories, which eventually became a religion.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Razgovory

I didn't you were a Wiccan.  I am sorry for offending your cultural heritage.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

PDH

Quote from: Berkut on May 14, 2017, 11:57:05 AM

You live in a very black or white world.  It brings in a lot of dross, dross that potentially takes away from more reasoned, focused, and thought out points.  As Raz slammed, it isn't a hard science, but it does rely on attempts at objectivity and critical theory-based knowledge.  Sure some might become worthwhile candidates to further the field (or hell, even just a bachelors in Anthropology), but most will hate when reality conflicts with their views.

An undergraduate class with several vocal idiots who refuse to accept that what they read in a work of fiction isn't true (and these types are quite willing to argue the points over and over ad nauseum) takes away from learning those more critical positions.  I saw this over and over - from the kid in the front row arguing with me about the factual nature of 300, to the student who demanded why I didn't talk about the prehistoric warrior empresses of the Near East.

What we need isn't a bunch of newly minted pseudo-powerwoman paleontologists (or graphic novel true believers) but rather more critical thinking culturally.  Attracting idiots into a class they are not ready for, won't understand, and later on will condemn as "awful" is not the way to fix the anti-science views of this land.

Then again, this was at a landgrant university that was tasked with allowing the students of Wyoming to come to 13th grade even if they weren't suited to ask "would you like fries with that?"  so my views might be a bit jaded.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

The Brain

Anthropology is just an excuse to look at boobs.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

PDH

Quote from: The Brain on May 14, 2017, 03:49:48 PM

Well, yeah.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

grumbler

Quote from: PDH on May 14, 2017, 03:38:17 PM
You live in a very black or white world.  It brings in a lot of dross, dross that potentially takes away from more reasoned, focused, and thought out points.  As Raz slammed, it isn't a hard science, but it does rely on attempts at objectivity and critical theory-based knowledge.  Sure some might become worthwhile candidates to further the field (or hell, even just a bachelors in Anthropology), but most will hate when reality conflicts with their views.

An undergraduate class with several vocal idiots who refuse to accept that what they read in a work of fiction isn't true (and these types are quite willing to argue the points over and over ad nauseum) takes away from learning those more critical positions.  I saw this over and over - from the kid in the front row arguing with me about the factual nature of 300, to the student who demanded why I didn't talk about the prehistoric warrior empresses of the Near East.

What we need isn't a bunch of newly minted pseudo-powerwoman paleontologists (or graphic novel true believers) but rather more critical thinking culturally.  Attracting idiots into a class they are not ready for, won't understand, and later on will condemn as "awful" is not the way to fix the anti-science views of this land.

Then again, this was at a landgrant university that was tasked with allowing the students of Wyoming to come to 13th grade even if they weren't suited to ask "would you like fries with that?"  so my views might be a bit jaded.

Think of all the money we could save if we could simply reject idiots who want to talk about the historical validity of 300, etc, and then fire half the anthropology professors since there wouldn't be enough students left to require them.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

PDH

Quote from: grumbler on May 14, 2017, 04:35:55 PM
Think of all the money we could save if we could simply reject idiots who want to talk about the historical validity of 300, etc, and then fire half the anthropology professors since there wouldn't be enough students left to require them.

Might as well, they fired me.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

CountDeMoney

Quote from: PDH on May 14, 2017, 04:01:40 PM
Quote from: The Brain on May 14, 2017, 03:49:48 PM

Well, yeah.

Ick.  National Geographic titties never have support. There's no lift and separation.