News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Globalisation

Started by Richard Hakluyt, May 08, 2017, 02:25:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you regard yourself as a winner or loser from the process of globalisation?

Winner
26 (51%)
Loser
7 (13.7%)
Neither
16 (31.4%)
Jaron should be deported to Mexico
2 (3.9%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

dps

Quote from: grumbler on May 11, 2017, 10:28:27 AM

But this implies that paleolithic men abstained from sex because they did not want children.  I find this assertion unlikely. 

So do I, in large part because it was my understanding that humans didn't even realize the link between sex and pregnancy until shortly before the dawn of history.

HVC

Quote from: dps on May 11, 2017, 06:07:34 PM

But this implies that paleolithic men abstained from sex because they did not want children.  I find this assertion unlikely. 

So do I, in large part because it was my understanding that humans didn't even realize the link between sex and pregnancy until shortly before the dawn of history.

I find that hard to believe.

Also, people are forgetting the benefits of butt secks. No babies. Maybe HG are freaks in the sheets :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

grumbler

Quote from: Malthus on May 11, 2017, 11:04:04 AM
Restriction of sex is not the only way to deliberately limit number of children - there is also abortion and infanticide, which also happened (though to what degree is controversial).

Naturally.  If that is what you meant by "they practiced birth spacing to keep populations down," then we are in agreement.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

PDH

This is sort of Clan of the Cave Bear type thinking.  It seems that there may well have been such a link at least as far back (50kya) as the increase in art, decoration, and burial rites among humans.  I do not have enough expertise to debate whether or not this goes further back, but the sex leads to babies seems to be at least more than a tenuous understanding for a long time.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

grumbler

Quote from: PDH on May 11, 2017, 09:20:06 PM

This is sort of Clan of the Cave Bear type thinking.  It seems that there may well have been such a link at least as far back (50kya) as the increase in art, decoration, and burial rites among humans.  I do not have enough expertise to debate whether or not this goes further back, but the sex leads to babies seems to be at least more than a tenuous understanding for a long time.

You'd think observation of animals would make that clear even if their observations of themselves didn't.  Early man was as smart and observant as we are.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

PDH

Quote from: grumbler on May 11, 2017, 09:26:56 PM
You'd think observation of animals would make that clear even if their observations of themselves didn't.  Early man was as smart and observant as we are.

The only quibbleis if there was some sort of change around 50kya, with the established finds in art, tools, and such.  There might (and that is a tenuous might) have been some sort of change then that allowed the dispersal of information that allowed such findings to become cultural.  We don't have morphological change then, but we do have an explosion of changes in cultural remains.  Again, I am not an expert in this, just remembering old classes.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Admiral Yi

Eddie Teach

I didn't know year was a metric unit.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

The Brain

wut
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

Big plot point in Clan of the Cave Bear

Malthus

Quote from: Jacob on May 12, 2017, 09:51:35 AM
Big plot point in Clan of the Cave Bear

My anthropological education has been sorely lacking, I now see. I never read  Clan of the Cave Bear:(
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on May 09, 2017, 12:04:29 AM
Quote from: Zanza on May 08, 2017, 10:50:33 PM
A few negative effects can hardly overshadow the vast progress that technology has meant for the human condition.

It was only after we invented agriculture and some other basic technologies that people even had a chance to become philosophers.

And what we gained in deadlier weapons, we way over compensated with medicine, hygiene, nutrition etc.

Not every bit of technology is a collective good, but technology overall is.
One problem with technology is that the first nuclear war will multiply by zero all the progress it has previously brought, and then subtract some more.

Don't you mean the second one?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

dps

Quote from: grumbler on May 11, 2017, 09:26:56 PM
Quote from: PDH on May 11, 2017, 09:20:06 PM

I thought it was an odd notion, too, but I didn't get it from Clan of the Cave Bear.  I can't remember where I did get it from, but it was somewhat backed up when I later came across a reference to the natives of the Nicobar Islands (I think it was the Nicobars) didn't know about the link between intercourse and pregnancy at the time they were first encountered by Europeans.