News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Globalisation

Started by Richard Hakluyt, May 08, 2017, 02:25:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you regard yourself as a winner or loser from the process of globalisation?

Winner
26 (51%)
Loser
7 (13.7%)
Neither
16 (31.4%)
Jaron should be deported to Mexico
2 (3.9%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Jacob

I think you've completely missed the point Oex and PDH have been making.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Berkut on May 15, 2017, 03:58:31 PM
I guess we can go back to bitching about how much better the world would be without "wrong" fiction and Osprey books cluttering the minds of the peasants and making them interested in topics that should be reserved for those who already have embraced the particular world views of their instructors?

I guess those who were making those claims can get back to them. Whoever they were.

Que le grand cric me croque !

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on May 15, 2017, 04:03:06 PM

No, no, no.  Let him keep going.

Berkut

Someone is certainly missing some point somewhere.

Probably Seedy.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

I need this elective, man. 

Maximus

Quote from: Tyr on May 15, 2017, 01:47:19 AM
Not sure I agree there.
The days where coding was the path to riches are over, and the ability to earn a  living from coding in the developed world is becoming less and less

iirc Steve Jobs advocated teaching everyone coding as a liberal art.

CountDeMoney

Well, he's dead now and you can't use your own headphones anymore, so there you go.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 15, 2017, 07:14:29 PM
Well, he's dead now and you can't use your own headphones anymore, so there you go.

:lol:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

viper37

Not sure I agree there.
The days where coding was the path to riches are over, and the ability to earn a  living from coding in the developed world is becoming less and less
it's becoming more like stats and basic calcules: not essential to live your life, but damn good to have.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on May 15, 2017, 09:12:12 AM
It isn't bad, though, as a starting point for other things.
Like law school?

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Oexmelin on May 15, 2017, 03:09:31 PM
where expertise was acquired five minutes before by googling about it? 
That's how I became an expert in human empathy  :glare:

viper37

Quote from: Berkut on May 15, 2017, 03:58:31 PM
I guess we can go back to bitching about how much better the world would be without "wrong" fiction and Osprey books cluttering the minds of the peasants and making them interested in topics that should be reserved for those who already have embraced the particular world views of their instructors?
That's not what Oex said.

Since we need to make it simpler these days, he's talking about pre-conceived ideas that persists after the facts are exposed.

Example:
-We need to prime the pump.  Did you ever hear about that?  Priming the pump?  I love it.
- Yes I heard about it.
- That surprises me, I just invented it, two days ago.  Priming the pump. It's excellent.
- I heard it many times before, I heard Krugan talk about it, and he was referring to Roosevelt using the term for his New Deal
- Really? Because I never heard it before.  I'm pretty sure no one talked about priming the pump before me.  That's fantastic.  I mean, it's a fantastic expression, "priming the pump".  No one ever tought of that before.  It's great.

That is the kind of bullshit PDH and Oex, I believe are talking about.

Or me teaching Oex about the life of sailors based on Pirates of the Caribean and refusing to read anything serious he sends me on the subject of piracy in the 17th-18th century.

I've known him for years on two different forums, we had and we still have many disagreements, but he's never seemed elitist (quite the opposite, in fact, on a very specific issue dealing precisely with that: "History to historians and no one else") about history and welcomes any debate about his discipline and his studies&teaching in particular (though it's a little too refined for many of us to really engage in the finer points of sailsmanship in the carribeans 1666-1674), so long as we stick with facts.  Interpretation of facts is one thing.  Different fields of interests is one thing (he doesn't like military history, but never said it was full of crooks/wizard/sorcerers nor ever gave any indication he was thinking such a thing), different level of understanding (studying a subject for years means you accumulate references amateurs won't have, even if Google is a very good search engine ;) ) is a given, just like any of us would have arguing with Paul Krugman.  But that does not make it "elitist", unless you've turned all Trumpist on us and knowledge is now less important than beliefs.

viper37

Quote from: Maximus on May 15, 2017, 07:08:17 PM
Not sure I agree there.

iirc Steve Jobs advocated teaching everyone coding as a liberal art.
I'd have taken coding over art and music anytime.  When a teacher threatened us with doing maths instead of art if we did not stop speaking, I was the one speaking louder than everyone.  It never worked :(

Jacob

Quote from: viper37 on May 15, 2017, 07:43:35 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on May 15, 2017, 03:09:31 PM
where expertise was acquired five minutes before by googling about it? 
That's how I became an expert in human empathy  :glare:

:lol:

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on May 15, 2017, 04:45:21 PM

Someone is certainly missing some point somewhere.

The irony is rich in this discussion.  I don't think you'll get very far in getting them to re-examine their "known truths," but it is fun to watch you try.  It's almost like I am in the very classrooms they describe.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!