News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Globalisation

Started by Richard Hakluyt, May 08, 2017, 02:25:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you regard yourself as a winner or loser from the process of globalisation?

Winner
26 (51%)
Loser
7 (13.7%)
Neither
16 (31.4%)
Jaron should be deported to Mexico
2 (3.9%)

Total Members Voted: 51

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on May 16, 2017, 12:03:15 PM
I am pretending no such thing. I have had many arguments with Oex in the past and he has never reacted in a snobby or contemptuous way. You, on the other hand, do so about 90% of the time.
:lmfao:  Right.  Like I am the guy making the ad hom attacks.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

grumbler shoots to thrill.

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on May 16, 2017, 09:26:42 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 16, 2017, 12:03:15 PM
I am pretending no such thing. I have had many arguments with Oex in the past and he has never reacted in a snobby or contemptuous way. You, on the other hand, do so about 90% of the time.

Wow you sure showed me grumbler :lol:

Hey you do you.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 16, 2017, 07:14:19 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 16, 2017, 06:18:43 PM
Yeah I fundamentally disagree with Berkut's idea that false information is good if it inspires people to be more interested in studying something.

I watched an interview with Leonard Nimoy, and he was talking about how he had once been on a tour of Cape Canaveral and all these NASA engineers were talking to him about various systems like they expected him to know what they were talking about.  He didn't have a fucking clue what they were saying, but they talked to him like he was a peer, and he politely nodded accordingly. Because he was Spock.
To the end of his life, he was constantly receiving letters and notes from fans telling him that Spock was the reason they went into science, engineering, research.  And I don't think anybody would argue that TOS science would be the best base for an entry into the science fair, but there you are.

Star Trek is the worst thing to ever happen to science.

Fiction should probably just be banned, or at least discouraged. If someone cannot be inspired by Apollo 13, then they have no business in higher education.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on May 16, 2017, 09:33:26 PM
Yeah I fundamentally disagree with Berkut's idea that false information is good if it inspires people to be more interested in studying something.

I watched an interview with Leonard Nimoy, and he was talking about how he had once been on a tour of Cape Canaveral and all these NASA engineers were talking to him about various systems like they expected him to know what they were talking about.  He didn't have a fucking clue what they were saying, but they talked to him like he was a peer, and he politely nodded accordingly. Because he was Spock.
To the end of his life, he was constantly receiving letters and notes from fans telling him that Spock was the reason they went into science, engineering, research.  And I don't think anybody would argue that TOS science would be the best base for an entry into the science fair, but there you are.

Fiction should probably just be banned, or at least discouraged. If someone cannot be inspired by Apollo 13, then they have no business in higher education.

Star Trek is obviously science fiction. I said pretty clearly that fiction is great. Did anybody read what I actually said? Granted that part of my post what cropped for some reason.

The very fact those engineers thought that actor actually knew something about science shows how powerful the medium is and reinforces my point. :mellow:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Sometimes Berkut goes Full Berkut and there are no survivors.

11B4V

Star Trek > Babylon 5
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Eddie Teach

Quote from: 11B4V on May 16, 2017, 09:39:23 PM
Star Trek > Babylon 5

Star Wars > Battlestar Galactica > Firefly > Star Trek
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on May 16, 2017, 09:35:06 PM
Quote from: Berkut on May 16, 2017, 09:33:26 PM

Star Trek is obviously science fiction. I said pretty clearly that fiction is great. Did anybody read what I actually said? Granted that part of my post what cropped for some reason.

The very fact those engineers thought that actor actually knew something about science shows how powerful the medium is and reinforces my point. :mellow:

You said that "false information" is bad. And the only kind of "false information" we have been talking about is fiction.

The basic point I am making is that bitching about someone getting excited about anthropology because they read Clan of the Cave Bear and that gave them incorrect ideas about anthropology is fucking stupid. No amount of "false information" makes the basic idea that someone getting excited about science where they would not have otherwise is a good thing, not something to whine about because it means you might have students who walk into class with some incorrect ideas.

This is really simple - my point is this:

A) People don't give a shit about anthropology and could not care less.

B) People care about anthropology so much that they actually decide to take a class on it, and maybe even pursue it as a career, but their interest came from fiction that contained, well, fiction about anthropology.

B is much, much better than A. Even if it means some professors will have to deal with (gasp!) intro students with incorrect ideas.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

11B4V

Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 16, 2017, 09:44:26 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 16, 2017, 09:39:23 PM
Star Trek > Babylon 5

Star Wars > Battlestar Galactica > Firefly > Star Trek

:o

Space Balls < Star Wars < The Expanse < Battlestar Galactica '04> Firefly > Star Trek
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

And that's why Creation Science is good.  It inspires kids to go into Biology.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on May 16, 2017, 09:26:42 PM

I know, right? Completely preposterous :lmfao:

Jacob

Quote from: Berkut on May 16, 2017, 09:55:40 PM
A) People don't give a shit about anthropology and could not care less.

B) People care about anthropology so much that they actually decide to take a class on it, and maybe even pursue it as a career, but their interest came from fiction that contained, well, fiction about anthropology.

B is much, much better than A. Even if it means some professors will have to deal with (gasp!) intro students with incorrect ideas.

Or...

C) People care so much about about Clan of the Cave Bear that they'll bastardized anthropology to support their pet theories and spread their crank theories with a veneer of science acquired in a couple of classes. You know, much like most creationism and other Christian "science".

Admiral Yi

How many pages have you guys been talking about Clan of the Cave Bear and anthropology?  Asking for a friend.

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 16, 2017, 11:44:56 PM
How many pages have you guys been talking about Clan of the Cave Bear and anthropology?  Asking for a friend.

"If that's not a lie as I situate on the common, what claim has your friend on our deference?"