UK Parliamentary General Election 8th June 2017

Started by mongers, April 19, 2017, 08:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 22, 2017, 04:06:52 AM
@Tyr - well I'm not going to vote for them either, far too authoritarian for my liking. I guess I'll vote Lib-Dem who at least accept that high-quality services require higher taxes.

It is all academic anyway, huge Labour majority here. Are you registered and voting btw?

Yes. Still registered at my parents place though so... It's going to be a labour walk over.

Ideal world my favoured outcome from this election would be a lib dem/green coalition. But that's about as likely as Theresa May pulling off her mask to reveal she is zombie thatcher.

More realistically.... The one dimensional thinking best outcome is a labour minority government where they can turn to the lib dems or snp for votes on issues. This ensures progressive laws get passed but labour are kept under control on Brexit.

Thinking a bit more deviously a Conservative minority might be a desirable outcome. Sticks them with the blame for the brexit mess theyve gotten us into and forces them to soften the brexit.

I'm not going to vote labour. I've sworn ill not vote for my mp ever again and I cannot forgive their failures and treachery on Brexit.
So.... It's a toss up between whether I go lib dem in the likely vain hope they can secure second place in my seat or I go green to help them at least keep their deposit and do my feeble part to further highlight how dumb our system is.
██████
██████
██████

OttoVonBismarck

75% Conservative
63% UKIP
46% Lib Dem
35% Labour

Savonarola

Lib-Dem 58%
Labour 56%
Conservative 54%

I'm most closely aligned with voters from County Fermanagh.  :unsure:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

Liberal Democrat 69%
Labour 63%
Conservative 60%
SNP 57%
Green 55%
UKIP 54%
Plaid Cymru 53%

So it seems like I agree with everybody :unsure:

Despite not being aligned with either the Democratic Unionists nor Sinn Fein I would be most at home in Northern Ireland :unsure:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Savonarola

Quote from: Valmy on May 22, 2017, 03:43:17 PM
Despite not being aligned with either the Democratic Unionists nor Sinn Fein I would be most at home in Northern Ireland :unsure:

Did you vote for beheading the monarchy and aristocrats?
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Tamas

So, was this horrific attack in Manchester a lucky break for May? Seemed like her big advantage in the polls was melting away, but now Labour's momentum will be broken with nobody paying attention to politics. Not to mention that feeling threatened should push people away from the idea of electing a crazy pacifist/Russian agent communist guy

Richard Hakluyt

I'm certain that this has been positive for May and the Tories. Corbyn was actually gaining some traction, this process has now been interrupted.

Gups

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 24, 2017, 01:42:16 AM
I'm certain that this has been positive for May and the Tories. Corbyn was actually gaining some traction, this process has now been interrupted.

Absolutely. Not only has the momentum been interrupted but law & order/security has always been a Tory strongpoint. It doesn't help that Corbyn is rightly perceived as soft on terrorism. Coincidentally, there was a lot of press about his views on the IRA at the weekend. We'll also be reminded about his opposition to any kind of shoot to kill policy following the Paris attacks (although he rowed back on that)

Tamas

To be fair though, I'd rather risk May's shot at a fascist quasi-despotism, than Corbyn's shot at his weird mix of 50s communism and 60s hippy morals.

Richard Hakluyt

Britain quite often votes for "strong governments" that can be surprisingly repressive by continental standards; but if these governments step over a certain (hidden) line they get tossed out. I suspect May will not enjoy a long tenure at number 10.

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on May 24, 2017, 01:20:44 AM
So, was this horrific attack in Manchester a lucky break for May? Seemed like her big advantage in the polls was melting away, but now Labour's momentum will be broken with nobody paying attention to politics. Not to mention that feeling threatened should push people away from the idea of electing a crazy pacifist/Russian agent communist guy

Depends how UKIP play it.
Hopefully they can win the idiots around to their side and steal some votes from the Tories whilst still getting nowhere themselves
██████
██████
██████

mongers

The Tories will wait for the funerals to finish and then go on the offensive, using this outrage to attack Labour as being soft on terrorism.

Is this Maggie May's mini-Falklands 'victory'?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

I'm confused, was there a thought that Labour was suddenly going to win? Isn't it just that polls were now suggesting Conservatives wouldn't win as big as initially hoped? (Before this incident)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

68% Conservative
53% UKIP
30% Lib Dem
25% Labour

Kinda thought I'd score higher with UKIP.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on May 24, 2017, 08:40:34 AM
I'm confused, was there a thought that Labour was suddenly going to win? Isn't it just that polls were now suggesting Conservatives wouldn't win as big as initially hoped? (Before this incident)

I think finishing with a roughly 2015-ish margin of victory will be a defeat for May as she specifically called this election to get a bigger majority to do her nation-saving uninterrupted. If the Tory margin ends up reduced, that would be a big failure for May personally.

So no, no chance of Labour victory, but there are big stakes.