Nissan Leaf / Electric Car
7 (31.8%)
Honda Accord (or similar)
4 (18.2%)
Subaru Forrester (or similar)
1 (4.5%)
Other (specify below)
1 (4.5%)
You should capture Jaron and force him to carry you around on his back (Jaron Option)
5 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

alfred russel

If Yi has a thread, I can too. :)

Let me start this by saying I hate cars beyond their ability to move me from point a to point b. And I rarely need to do that, since I recently moved into a condo in a hotel that is basically in an outdoor mall with a grocery store and target next door and a bunch of restaurants and shopping within a block. And I'm one mile from work. :)

My current car is a honda civic from 2003 I got in college. While it meets all my needs, it is getting embarrassing. 3 of the 4 windows don't work, the lock on one door is busted, it has a nasty vibration, the radio stopped working, I was rear ended almost a year ago and never got it fixed, I have some serious recall issue I never resolved, and a few other minor problems.

So I need a new car. I do lots of hiking and camping, so a lot of people say, "You need an SUV!" but that is such BS. My civic can fit 4 people, and the trunk is big enough to carry all the weight four people can carry on their backs (I am strongly opposed to ever camping at a place you can drive to). I feel fine driving my current car on dirt roads.

So my major considerations are costs and what gets me social cred (or doesn't get me negative social cred).

My options so far:
-lower end Mercedes or BMW. The low end versions don't cost too much, and I get a shitty status symbol. FWIW, my girlfriend said she would think less of me if I got one of these cars. While that seems to be a negative, perhaps she is just scared of the competition for her I'd be attracting? :hmm:

-a leaf or other electric car. See the Mercedes or BMW, yet with the status symbol being a display of environmental consciousness. My girlfriend also said she would think less of me if I got this car. Has the downside of not having the range to go on some of the weekend trips I take, but on the other hand that also gets me out of driving for them.  :hmm:

-a honda accord. My civic has been awesome. I feel loyalty to honda. An accord is better, but also just really seems boring. Maybe a Nissan Altima?

-a small SUV, something like a Subaru Forrester. Not too hard to park in the city. On the downside my best friend just got one so I'd be copying him. My girlfriend thinks I should do this. While that seems like a positive, see what I wrote on the BMW/Mercedes, and apply the opposite. :hmm:

I know some on this forum have a fetish for FJ Cruisers. I'm not going to get an out of model car, but I definitely get the appeal and might have done so if they were still making them. But I don't do offroading and live in the center of a major city.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Tonitrus

alfred russel

Aren't they like $80k or something? Fuck that.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Tonitrus

The upcoming one is $35K

Besides, I thought you were a baller now.

alfred russel

Apparently deliveries won't be until mid 2018 or later. That is a bit too long to wait.

https://www.tesla.com/model3

I bet they can sell a zillion of those things if they want to, though.

celedhring

Is your GF's taste in men similar to his taste in cars?  :hmm:

Tonitrus

Quote from: alfred russel on January 28, 2017, 11:42:45 AM
Apparently deliveries won't be until mid 2018 or later. That is a bit too long to wait.

https://www.tesla.com/model3

I bet they can sell a zillion of those things if they want to, though.

BMW i3 then.  :P

alfred russel

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 28, 2017, 11:36:04 AM
Besides, I thought you were a baller now.

Fuck no--certainly not enough to drop $80k on a piece of machinery that has a function that a $15-20k piece of machinery can fufill.

Liep

Go electric, screw your gf.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

LaCroix

iirc, cars do nothing to the environment. and, again iirc, the maintenance costs on electric cars can be stupidly expensive that you're not saving much (if anything?) on lower gas costs

Liep

Quote from: LaCroix on January 28, 2017, 12:08:14 PM
iirc, cars do nothing to the environment. and, again iirc, the maintenance costs on electric cars can be stupidly expensive that you're not saving much (if anything?) on lower gas costs

They pollute less in the city and the maintenance costs are not stupidly expensive.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

celedhring

Yeah, they affect air quality in cities massively.

LaCroix

Quote from: Liep on January 28, 2017, 12:09:27 PM

They pollute less in the city and the maintenance costs are not stupidly expensive.

re: pollution, referring to some article I saw at one point that said the total pollution from cars has basically no impact on the environment. the maintenance costs refers to replacing the battery, which I've read can cost several thousand??

Liep

I have no idea about the total pollution including production but for people who lives in cities electric cars are much much healthier.

alfred russel

iirc, cars do nothing to the environment.

That is actually retarded.