Nissan Leaf / Electric Car
7 (31.8%)
Honda Accord (or similar)
4 (18.2%)
Subaru Forrester (or similar)
1 (4.5%)
Other (specify below)
1 (4.5%)
You should capture Jaron and force him to carry you around on his back (Jaron Option)
5 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on January 28, 2017, 01:41:17 PM
CdM, what I tried to convey and you may not be picking up on, is I don't give a fuck about the car I drive. My choice would probably be to fix up my 14 year old honda civic and drive it for another 10 years or until the self driving cars take over and I can just use ubers.

Since this is entirely about what other people think, and girls most especially, why not consider their point of view?

If you feel it's necessary to manage capital purchases according to what others think--particularly pussy--then whatever car you settle on getting, you need to promptly drive it off the lot and straight into a shopping center wall at 40 mph. 
That's 64.3738 kph in your filthy ass dirty Russian measurements.

Or just another Honda.

mongers

AR, sounds like you don't need a car full time, have you considering just hiring them for when you do?

Maybe also find a company that rents out premium cars for special occasions, so you can indulge your GF's car status desires with something more exotic once in a while?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Monoriu

Electric cars are too expensive and they are a lot of trouble, both in terms of charging and fixing if and when they break down.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Monoriu on January 28, 2017, 04:08:15 PM
Electric cars are too expensive and they are a lot of trouble, both in terms of charging and fixing if and when they break down.

You're not replacing D cell batteries every week, you cheap ass bastard.

Monoriu

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 28, 2017, 04:12:25 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on January 28, 2017, 04:08:15 PM

You're not replacing D cell batteries every week, you cheap ass bastard.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1100561_tesla-model-s-too-many-problems-to-recommend-consumer-reports-says

alfred russel

Quote from: mongers on January 28, 2017, 04:04:15 PM
AR, sounds like you don't need a car full time, have you considering just hiring them for when you do?

Well, I live just over a mile from work. In theory I could bike it, but it is rather heavily congested and dangerous during rush hour. I really do need a car. Public transportation in Atlanta is basically non existant.

QuoteMaybe also find a company that rents out premium cars for special occasions, so you can indulge your GF's car status desires with something more exotic once in a while?

There is a mix up here. :) She has no car status desires, hates cars, is fine with the Honda Civic, and says paying extra to get a "status" car like a mercedes or BMW or Leaf (harder to explain) would make her think less of me.

But I do think that a broken down old civic is romantically limiting (despite cool ladies like the one I've mentioned), and also it is noticed that I have the worst car in the parking lot among my coworkers, and one refuses to ride in it (not comfortable enough).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on January 28, 2017, 04:27:45 PM
There is a mix up here. :) She has no car status desires, hates cars, is fine with the Honda Civic, and says paying extra to get a "status" car like a mercedes or BMW or Leaf (harder to explain) would make her think less of me.

There's no mix up here.

Quote from: alfred russel on January 28, 2017, 11:29:21 AM
FWIW, my girlfriend said she would think less of me
My girlfriend also said she would think less of me
My girlfriend thinks I should do this.

lol, Ideologue4Heisman.  #GrabbedByPussy

alfred russel

It has been decided. I will get a Mercedes to prove CdM wrong. :)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

mongers

Quote from: alfred russel on January 28, 2017, 04:57:19 PM

:cool:

You'll make Zanza a happy man, but don't tweet about it to Trump, you'll make him blow a gasket.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Zanza

What model are you looking at?

viper37

I hope you have a friend well versed in the mechanical arts.  :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on January 28, 2017, 04:27:45 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 28, 2017, 04:04:15 PM

Well, I live just over a mile from work. In theory I could bike it, but it is rather heavily congested and dangerous during rush hour. I really do need a car. Public transportation in Atlanta is basically non existant.

QuoteMaybe also find a company that rents out premium cars for special occasions, so you can indulge your GF's car status desires with something more exotic once in a while?

But I do think that a broken down old civic is romantically limiting (despite cool ladies like the one I've mentioned), and also it is noticed that I have the worst car in the parking lot among my coworkers, and one refuses to ride in it (not comfortable enough).

A mile?  You should fucking walk to work.  It would probably be faster than driving.

I'll give you the same advice I gave Yi (which he turned down).  Get a smallish crossover like the Forrester, or if you're a Honda man, a CR-V.  It's mechanically based on the Civic, but the higher body gives you a better view, the AWD can help on uncertain roads, and the slightly SUV-ish appearance works with your outdoorsy hiking lifestyle, while hardly being a vehicle that marks you out to be appearance-obsessed.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on January 29, 2017, 10:21:11 AM
A mile?  You should fucking walk to work.  It would probably be faster than driving.

I'll give you the same advice I gave Yi (which he turned down).  Get a smallish crossover like the Forrester, or if you're a Honda man, a CR-V.  It's mechanically based on the Civic, but the higher body gives you a better view, the AWD can help on uncertain roads, and the slightly SUV-ish appearance works with your outdoorsy hiking lifestyle, while hardly being a vehicle that marks you out to be appearance-obsessed.
There may not be a viable sidewalk path.  This is Atlanta we're talking about, you probably can't get your mail without a car.

dps

Great.  So you're going from being henpecked by your gf to make certain choices as to your vehicle purchase, to being goaded by CdM to make certain choices as to your vehicle purchase.

Look, if you and your gr actually like your old Honda, but the issue is that it's getting in somewhat bad condition and it'll cost more (or close to that) to fix it up than it's worth, sell it and get another Honda of similar vintage but in better condition.

CountDeMoney

People who drive Benzes are pretentious douchebags anyway.

Get what you want, Dorsey.  Just don't get something because some temporary pussy in your life has an opinion about it.