The Inauguration of the 45th U.S. President

Started by mongers, January 20, 2017, 09:26:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

I would like an accurate report on what went down anyway. It sure seems like one side says 'peaceful protest' and the other says 'violent riot'. So knowing which is correct, or both are correct, or whatever would be nice.

Preferably without stock footage from stuff happening in Greece and Africa or wherever.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

citizen k

Quote from: grumbler on January 20, 2017, 09:20:31 PM
Quote from: LaCroix on January 20, 2017, 07:16:13 PM
should the news not report riots? or do you mean it should be a page five item?

Yes, we need to have front-page reports when trash cans get overturned or store windows get broken.  The term "riot" is hilariously overblown when used to describe the disturbances in DC.

Just stay out of Starbucks.

11B4V

Quote from: LaCroix on January 20, 2017, 09:24:22 PM
I think a violent riot protesting the presidential inauguration is an important news story

(edit) if it gets overblown, it gets overblown. that doesn't make it a trivial, non-newsworthy story

This https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_Los_Angeles_riots is violent riot. What they are doing is perpetrating a fraud.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Valmy

Quote from: citizen k on January 20, 2017, 09:27:52 PM
Just stay out of Starbucks.

Generally wise advice anyway.

Looters want those cappuccino machines.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

citizen k

Quote from: Valmy on January 20, 2017, 09:27:42 PM
So knowing which is correct, or both are correct, or whatever would be nice.

Both are correct. As usual must protesters are non-violent. It wasn't Cairo or Maidan Square.

Valmy

Quote from: FunkMonk on January 20, 2017, 05:10:51 PM
This is for derspiess  :D

https://twitter.com/itvnews/status/822514006518853632

I mean...come on pal. I get the rage just following his election and all. But we have had two months to come to terms with the disaster. The time to rage and scream no to Trump is on election day 2018. Man that would make voting pretty entertaining.

Valmy

Quote from: citizen k on January 20, 2017, 09:29:35 PM

Both are correct. As usual must protesters are non-violent. It wasn't Cairo or Maidan Square.

A few bad apples smashing things under the cover of a peaceful protest is not exactly a riot though.

LaCroix

citizen k

Quote from: Valmy on January 20, 2017, 09:33:30 PM
Quote from: citizen k on January 20, 2017, 09:29:35 PM

A few bad apples smashing things under the cover of a peaceful protest is not exactly a riot though.

We rarely have full blown riots here in the U.S., mostly just protests that the media loves to say,"turn violent".

Valmy

Quote from: LaCroix on January 20, 2017, 09:36:18 PM
there are different degrees of violence

Sure. But a violent riot conjures up very different imagery than sporadic vandalism.

11B4V

Quote from: 11B4V on January 20, 2017, 09:27:59 PMThis https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_Los_Angeles_riots is violent riot. What they are doing is perpetrating a fraud.

DC so far today;
It's not a violent riot.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Quote from: Valmy on January 20, 2017, 09:38:26 PM

Sure. But a violent riot conjures up very different imagery than sporadic vandalism.

Valmy

Quote from: citizen k on January 20, 2017, 09:38:13 PM
We rarely have full blown riots here in the U.S., mostly just protests that the media loves to say,"turn violent".

Well we don't really have many protests either. Maybe we don't know the difference.

katmai

I was in LA in '92.  Today wasn't a riot.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

derspiess

How about calling it a protest that at times turned violent?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall