News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Supposedly he was trolling the journalists to see how they spin it.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on April 24, 2020, 12:38:17 PM

Press report: "President says dumb shit again"

President: "Aha! You fell for my cunning plan! I only said dumb shit to see if you would report that I said dumb shit!"
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

frunk

Quote from: Malthus on April 24, 2020, 12:56:27 PM
Press report: "President says dumb shit again"

President: "Aha! You fell for my cunning plan! I only said dumb shit to see if you would report that I said dumb shit!"

It's been the standard defense of Trump since day 1.  He's a master manipulator because he gets the media to report the incredibly stupid shit he says.

Barrister

Here's some surprising news: top Navy officials recommend Cpt Crozier (formerly of the USS Theodore Roosevelt) be re-instated.

Article mentions that Trump has softened on the captain after the social media attention the case gathered, so it might actually happen.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/24/us/politics/coronavirus-navy-roosevelt-brett-crozier.html?smid=tw-share
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

Quote from: Malthus on April 24, 2020, 10:20:20 AM
I mean, do they ask why you are carrying it? Maybe if you say you are carrying to assassinate some officials, they won't let you in.  :)
The time I was there they didn't ask the guy why he was carrying it.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on April 24, 2020, 03:10:28 PM
Quote from: Malthus on April 24, 2020, 10:20:20 AM
I mean, do they ask why you are carrying it? Maybe if you say you are carrying to assassinate some officials, they won't let you in.  :)
The time I was there they didn't ask the guy why he was carrying it.

Fair enough - you would not want to encourage lying. Lying is wrong.

The whole process appears quite pointless.

Reminds me of years ago in Thailand, where the version of airport security they had at the time was to check your bags, give you a form saying your bags had been checked, then handed you the bags back to carry to your plane. I suppose you were on your honour not to shove bombs, guns or drugs into your bags after they were checked.   :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Syt on April 24, 2020, 12:38:17 PM

How is that explanation better? "I was using this very serious and critical briefing on an urgent health matter affecting the lives of millions to make sarcastic comments and troll journalists"

Why do some people still accept this behavior in a president?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

fromtia

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 24, 2020, 03:56:21 PM

Why do some people still accept this behavior in a president?

He's a strong man, sent by god, he pwns the libs and you'd have to be a lib to not see that the constant freaking out by the lib media is a big joke. There's part of me that's pretty sure this term and Trumps likely next one aren't even the apex of the current decades long trajectory of the Republican party. Sad!
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

The Brain

The US has served its purpose, and it's about time to retire it. Surely the states that are non-retarded can come up with something better than the retarded feds.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

40% of the people in those states support Republicans and 40% in the other states don't. Your "solution" is what's retarded.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Quote from: Eddie Teach on April 24, 2020, 05:03:19 PM
40% of the people in those states support Republicans and 40% in the other states don't. Your "solution" is what's retarded.

Elections  have consequences. You elect a retarded leader and you gonna get retarded leadership. You vote for the lols and lols is what you gonna get.

In a democracy the people can't pass the buck. Sorry.

Eddie Teach

Yeah, those blue states elected representatives who applied to join the US, so now they're stuck. The eastern ones and California even elected representatives who chose to fight rather than let Southern states leave. Elections do have consequences. People in every state have to put up with Trump until the country as a whole chooses someone else.

The Brain

Quote from: Eddie Teach on April 24, 2020, 05:21:01 PM
Yeah, those blue states elected representatives who applied to join the US, so now they're stuck. The eastern ones and California even elected representatives who chose to fight rather than let Southern states leave. Elections do have consequences. People in every state have to put up with Trump until the country as a whole chooses someone else.

*shrug* Or until they leave. A sinking big ship may be romantic but it's not terribly attractive.

Eddie Teach

Ok, so you support secession. What about rural areas? Are state borders sacrosanct, despite the national union being divisible?

garbon

Quote from: Eddie Teach on April 24, 2020, 05:21:01 PM

I don't think anyone currently living had a say in that.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.