News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on April 22, 2020, 09:43:50 AM
It's also a great way to arrest and deport various undesirables, destroy families, and further cement the GOP as the white nationalist authoritarian party.

For me and my family, this is a warning sign. A 21st century version of the Nuremberg laws. My wife's green card is good for another several years, so we are fine now, but it's time to start planning an escape route for when it becomes necessary.

:hug:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: fromtia on April 22, 2020, 11:18:59 AM
Quote from: Maladict on April 22, 2020, 09:49:52 AM
So would someone who has lived in the US for decades, but never got round to becoming a citizen, potentially be in trouble? Or would they have a permanent green card by now (if there is such a thing)? Asking for a friend.

I am such an individual. I'm a legal permanent resident, a status I have enjoyed for about 20 of the 23 years I have lived here. My green card is up for renewal in October, but it's the physical card that's renewed, not my status. However at least a year ago, probably a bit more the waiting time for replacing ones green card went from a couple of weeks to months. I am not 'in trouble" yet, but I am fully anticipating that Republicans will pursue an immigration policy in the future that will target people like me.

My dearest friend is a British Citizen who lives in NYC, he started a business in the US about 20 years ago, resided here with the associated visa for most of that time, never applied for a green card after his first marriage because of that visa, applied for it a few years ago after marrying his second wife (shes much nicer than the first one). That process is not concluded, so they are now going to be in limbo, property owners, building a house upstate, applying to become foster parents, regular people having regular lives but hes a foreigner so is very much about to become a victim of Trump.

This breaks my heart. I'm so sorry, fromtia.

QuoteIt's this sort of cruelty that delights Republicans. It's a sure fire vote getter.

And it makes me ill that 30% of our population 100% buy into this.

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 22, 2020, 09:23:33 AM
Quote from: The Brain on April 21, 2020, 03:45:54 PM
With travel bans, how much does legal immigration matter now?

It does because the irony is that this order principally affects people already in the US who are seeking to adjust their status.  It exempts lots of people coming in temporarily to do critical agriculture and health care work, among others.

It's just troll bait for liberals, more distraction for the base from his total incompetence in a time of crisis.

Yeah, this is just an attempt get liberal criticism which will be interpreted as proof of Trump's success by his base.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Oexmelin

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on April 22, 2020, 09:43:50 AM
It's also a great way to arrest and deport various undesirables, destroy families, and further cement the GOP as the white nationalist authoritarian party.

For me and my family, this is a warning sign. A 21st century version of the Nuremberg laws. My wife's green card is good for another several years, so we are fine now, but it's time to start planning an escape route for when it becomes necessary.

Yep. I am GTFO. My ex did too a couple of months ago.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Admiral Yi

So would someone who has lived in the US for decades, but never got round to becoming a citizen, potentially be in trouble? Or would they have a permanent green card by now (if there is such a thing)? Asking for a friend.

You don't get a green card if you're here illegally.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 22, 2020, 02:03:37 PM

The First Lady did.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Maladict

I didn't say anything about illegal.  :huh:

fromtia

"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Tamas

If you are planning to settle in a country you absolutely should get citizenship if you have the option. It's not a get out of jail fee card but it does make it harder to mess with your legal status and your right to the life you have built there.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Maladict on April 22, 2020, 02:14:33 PM

Your question about having a green card by now implied anyone who just sticks around long enough gets one.

Maladict

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 22, 2020, 02:36:47 PM
Quote from: Maladict on April 22, 2020, 02:14:33 PM

Your question about having a green card by now implied anyone who just sticks around long enough gets one.

Ah I see. By 'by now' I meant some kind of permanence in having and keeping it, not getting it.

merithyn

You can. My ex was here illegally for 18 months before we filed for his green card, and he got it with minimal effort.

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on April 22, 2020, 02:58:24 PM

You can. My ex was here illegally for 18 months before we filed for his green card, and he got it with minimal effort.

Thanks Obama Bush  :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on April 22, 2020, 03:16:47 PM
Quote from: merithyn on April 22, 2020, 02:58:24 PM

Thanks Obama Bush  :P

I believe Obama was in office when he finally got his green card, but I don't know that for a fact. It was very close timing.

jimmy olsen

https://apnews.com/9ed271ca13012d3b77a2b631c1979ce1

QuoteOnly 12% of Americans say the measures where they live go too far. About twice as many people, 26%, believe the limits don't go far enough. The majority of Americans — 61% — feel the steps taken by government officials to prevent infections of COVID-19 in their area are about right.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point