News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

I am kind of surprised it took this long to do that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

With travel bans, how much does legal immigration matter now?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

fromtia

Quote from: The Brain on April 21, 2020, 03:45:54 PM

It's a vote getter. Deflects from the lack of competence in handling the outbreak and energizes Republicans.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

The Minsky Moment

It does because the irony is that this order principally affects people already in the US who are seeking to adjust their status.  It exempts lots of people coming in temporarily to do critical agriculture and health care work, among others.

It's just troll bait for liberals, more distraction for the base from his total incompetence in a time of crisis.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tamas

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 22, 2020, 09:23:33 AM

It does because the irony is that this order principally affects people already in the US who are seeking to adjust their status.  It exempts lots of people coming in temporarily to do critical agriculture and health care work, among others.

It's just troll bait for liberals, more distraction for the base from his total incompetence in a time of crisis.

Also will make it easier to blame a more serious outbreak on illegal immigrants.

HisMajestyBOB

It's also a great way to arrest and deport various undesirables, destroy families, and further cement the GOP as the white nationalist authoritarian party.

For me and my family, this is a warning sign. A 21st century version of the Nuremberg laws. My wife's green card is good for another several years, so we are fine now, but it's time to start planning an escape route for when it becomes necessary.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Maladict

So would someone who has lived in the US for decades, but never got round to becoming a citizen, potentially be in trouble? Or would they have a permanent green card by now (if there is such a thing)? Asking for a friend.

HisMajestyBOB

They would have a green card that needs to be renewed every 10 years (after an initial 2 year period). At least that's what my wife has. I don't think there's a green card that never needs renewal.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Syt

Quote from: Maladict on April 22, 2020, 09:49:52 AM
So would someone who has lived in the US for decades, but never got round to becoming a citizen, potentially be in trouble? Or would they have a permanent green card by now (if there is such a thing)? Asking for a friend.

There's a number of offences that can get you deported:

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/grounds-deportability-when-legal-us-residents-can-be-removed.html

Also, rules got tightened in 2020.

https://www.nbc-2.com/story/41563323/new-green-card-laws-2020
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Camerus

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on April 22, 2020, 09:43:50 AM
It's also a great way to arrest and deport various undesirables, destroy families, and further cement the GOP as the white nationalist authoritarian party.

For me and my family, this is a warning sign. A 21st century version of the Nuremberg laws. My wife's green card is good for another several years, so we are fine now, but it's time to start planning an escape route for when it becomes necessary.

Does any of this affect green card holders' ability to apply for US citizenship?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Camerus on April 22, 2020, 10:58:44 AM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on April 22, 2020, 09:43:50 AM

Does any of this affect green card holders' ability to apply for US citizenship?

I don't think there is even a draft text yet.  I haven't seen a report of a statement mentioning citizenship proceedings.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

It seems that immigration field offices are already closed through May 30 so this really looks like purely for show.
--Joan Robinson

fromtia

I am such an individual. I'm a legal permanent resident, a status I have enjoyed for about 20 of the 23 years I have lived here. My green card is up for renewal in October, but it's the physical card that's renewed, not my status. However at least a year ago, probably a bit more the waiting time for replacing ones green card went from a couple of weeks to months. I am not 'in trouble" yet, but I am fully anticipating that Republicans will pursue an immigration policy in the future that will target people like me.

My dearest friend is a British Citizen who lives in NYC, he started a business in the US about 20 years ago, resided here with the associated visa for most of that time, never applied for a green card after his first marriage because of that visa, applied for it a few years ago after marrying his second wife (shes much nicer than the first one). That process is not concluded, so they are now going to be in limbo, property owners, building a house upstate, applying to become foster parents, regular people having regular lives but hes a foreigner so is very much about to become a victim of Trump.

It's this sort of cruelty that delights Republicans. It's a sure fire vote getter.

mongers

Quote from: fromtia on April 22, 2020, 11:18:59 AM

I am such an individual. I'm a legal permanent resident, a status I have enjoyed for about 20 of the 23 years I have lived here. My green card is up for renewal in October, but it's the physical card that's renewed, not my status. However at least a year ago, probably a bit more the waiting time for replacing ones green card went from a couple of weeks to months. I am not 'in trouble" yet, but I am fully anticipating that Republicans will pursue an immigration policy in the future that will target people like me.

My dearest friend is a British Citizen who lives in NYC, he started a business in the US about 20 years ago, resided here with the associated visa for most of that time, never applied for a green card after his first marriage because of that visa, applied for it a few years ago after marrying his second wife (shes much nicer than the first one). That process is not concluded, so they are now going to be in limbo, property owners, building a house upstate, applying to become foster parents, regular people having regular lives but hes a foreigner so is very much about to become a victim of Trump.

It's this sort of cruelty that delights Republicans. It's a sure fire vote getter.

Well that a disgraceful way to possibly treat people and HMBob's wife situation must be a worry to. 

And as you say, it's a red rag to the bull that some republicans/Trumpsters have adopted, so now a distinct possibility. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

fromtia

Quote from: Camerus on April 22, 2020, 10:58:44 AM

There hasn't been any moves along those lines yet, but I would assume they are coming. When Trump got elected a friend of mine from Hungary rather adroitly got his US citizenship right away and issued stark warnings that the future for immigrants of any stripe in the US was going to get progressively harder. I realize that he was right.