And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus

Quote from: fromtia on April 25, 2020, 03:13:12 PM
Quote from: Syt on April 24, 2020, 11:20:03 PM
I'm still not sure what the Republican end game is. Return to the gilded age by removing government regulation and oversight (except where it serves to keep them in power) and abolishing social security? Keeping "unamerican" tendencies in check? Where do they want to go with all this?

Consolidate power and wield it as seen fit. Gilded age part 2 is well underway and ought be preserved and expanded, dismantle government where it doesn't serve the needs of the very rich, especially Johnson and FDR presidencies and lately the Obama one (which is hilarious). The interesting bit is where democracy itself has become less useful and they are going to start dismantling that as well.
Going to start?

The Minsky Moment

From April 19 - exactly one week ago:

QuoteUS President Donald Trump said during Monday's White House news briefing that 50,000 to 60,000 people in the US are expected to die from coronavirus -- far fewer than earlier projections made by the administration.

"Now we're going toward 50 -- I'm hearing, or 60,000 people. One is too many. I always say it. One is too many, but we're going toward 50 or 60,000 people. That's at the lower -- as you know the lower (end of the projections) was supposed to be 100,000 people," he said.

54,000 as of this morning.

The amount of misinformation the man can spread is staggering.  It's as if he has dedicated his life to personifying the Dunning-Kruger effect.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

mongers

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 26, 2020, 08:58:20 AM

QuoteUS President Donald Trump said during Monday's White House news briefing that 50,000 to 60,000 people in the US are expected to die from coronavirus -- far fewer than earlier projections made by the administration.

"Now we're going toward 50 -- I'm hearing, or 60,000 people. One is too many. I always say it. One is too many, but we're going toward 50 or 60,000 people. That's at the lower -- as you know the lower (end of the projections) was supposed to be 100,000 people," he said.

The amount of misinformation the man can spread is staggering.  It's as if he has dedicated his life to personifying the Dunning-Kruger effect.

And it's not really got going in some red states yet.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: mongers on April 26, 2020, 09:01:38 AM

And it's not really got going in some red states yet.
[/quote

Those states will underreport Covid-19 deaths, so it won't ever really get going there.  In a year or two we should get a few academic studies of excess mortality that can get us a good estimate.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

fromtia

About 52,000 in April alone. You'd have to have a wooden head to think he's tracking on his number of 60,000. Oh wait....
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Hamilcar

Man, that Noble Prize committee for Journalism is really in trouble.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Is all of that real? Why do I feel the need to ask after these last few years?

celedhring

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Oexmelin

It must have been some kind of spontaneous brain fart by some conservative trash radio host, or some ad lib ranting on FoxNews, dutifully relayed by Trump.
Que le grand cric me croque !

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 26, 2020, 05:40:35 PM
What the fuck? :blink: :mellow:

He's pulling out all of the stops, he Must be the biggest story in the world, no tiny bacteria* is going to be 1st place in the ratings.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Yeah Donnie,  how about a link to a story or clip to give some context?  Help a brother out man.

Caliga

Who hands out the Noble Prizes?  Queen Elizabeth? :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points