Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: saskganesh on February 07, 2020, 01:20:34 AM
Quote from: DGuller on January 29, 2020, 06:03:26 PM
Quote from: Maximus on January 29, 2020, 04:19:01 PM
There's nothing wrong with continuing to learn outside of school.
And there is nothing useful in memorizing factoids in school.

Rote learning gives one a base of knowledge. You're wrong.
That's not the only way of getting base of knowledge, and certainly not the most effective way.  Rote learning is almost always a shortcut for both the teacher and the student.

dps

There are some things that rote learning is good for.  Basic math, basic geography, stuff like that.  Knowing that sort of thing provides a basis for later acquiring a deeper understanding of various topics.

DGuller

Quote from: dps on February 07, 2020, 07:47:51 AM
There are some things that rote learning is good for.  Basic math, basic geography, stuff like that.  Knowing that sort of thing provides a basis for later acquiring a deeper understanding of various topics.
Okay, maybe multiplication tables are an exception where rote is called for.  Maybe.

Basic geography, on the other hand, I don't buy it.  I learned basic geography, and more than basic geography, in fifth and sixth grade in Ukraine.  Exactly zero of it stuck with me, because it was pure memorization of things I didn't give a flying fuck about.  Geography that did stick with me was one that I learned as part of learning something interesting, such as strategy games or history (and by history I mean real history, not sets of events and dates).

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on February 07, 2020, 08:55:38 AM
(and by history I mean real history, not sets of events and dates).

Ancient Aliens?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: dps on February 07, 2020, 07:47:51 AM
Okay, maybe multiplication tables are an exception where rote is called for.  Maybe.

Basic geography, on the other hand, I don't buy it.  I learned basic geography, and more than basic geography, in fifth and sixth grade in Ukraine.  Exactly zero of it stuck with me, because it was pure memorization of things I didn't give a flying fuck about.  Geography that did stick with me was one that I learned as part of learning something interesting, such as strategy games or history (and by history I mean real history, not sets of events and dates).

You did it wrong then.  I can still remember my ABC's and the song we sung in grade 1 to learn the alphabet.  I can still remember that A squared + B squared = C squared.  And I am old  :P

dps

I learned basic geography, and more than basic geography, in fifth and sixth grade in Ukraine.  Exactly zero of it stuck with me

That probably says more about you than it says about the value of rote learning.

Eddie Teach

I've seen plenty of videos that show Guller isn't alone in forgetting everything he learned in elementary school.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Habbaku

We even have veteran NPR reporters that don't know where Ukraine is.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

grumbler

Quote from: Habbaku on February 07, 2020, 10:11:56 AM
We even have veteran NPR reporters that don't know where Ukraine is.

And Secretaries of State who don't.  I'm not 100% sure Mike Pompeo could located the United States on a world map even with the names still on it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Quote from: dps on February 07, 2020, 09:50:56 AM
I learned basic geography, and more than basic geography, in fifth and sixth grade in Ukraine.  Exactly zero of it stuck with me

That probably says more about you than it says about the value of rote learning.
And what does that say about me?

dps

Quote from: DGuller on February 07, 2020, 11:17:47 AM

That you're kind of stupid.

DGuller

Quote from: dps on February 07, 2020, 11:20:03 AM

Okay. :unsure:

alfred russel

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 07, 2020, 09:18:08 AM

You did it wrong then.  I can still remember my ABC's and the song we sung in grade 1 to learn the alphabet.  I can still remember that A squared + B squared = C squared.  And I am old  :P

I don't think DGuller is arguing that children shouldn't learn the alphabet or how to count to 10.

The song you learn in grade 1 to learn the alphabet is pointless. Do you remember enough geometry so that you can solve practical geometry questions? If not, remembering that A^2 + B^2 = C^2 isn't meaningful either--it is just a single element of a series of things you memorized that is pointless on its own. Can you tell us the proof that A^2 + B^2 = C^2?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Habbaku

Quote from: dps on February 07, 2020, 11:20:03 AM

I'm gonna go ahead and say that if you're calling DG stupid, you're probably the stupid one.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

dps

Quote from: alfred russel on February 07, 2020, 11:35:54 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 07, 2020, 09:18:08 AM

I don't think DGuller is arguing that children shouldn't learn the alphabet or how to count to 10.

I'm not sure what he is arguing.  My argument was that learning basic facts is necessary prerequisite to further learning.  He seems to disagree.