News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Better hope he's been hanging out at the mall.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on January 09, 2018, 03:33:30 PM
Arpaio announced he is running for Flake's senate seat. I know Arizonans that you are mostly a lost people but do the right thing. -_-

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/09/us/joe-arpaio-senate-arizona.html
Quote"Being a U.S. senator is a little different than being the sheriff, because you can do a lot of things in the U.S. Senate, and I have many plans, believe me," Mr. Arpaio told The Washington Examiner in announcing his bid. "I have a lot to offer. I'm a big supporter of President Trump."

He lost an election in Maricopa County (more than 60% of the population of Arizona) in a favorable 2016 election, seems unlikely he could win in 2018. Also, he's 86.

Also, someone on the inside of the Trump campaign  confirmed the Steele dossiere.  :menace:

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Breaking news, and for once, it's good.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-immigration-ruling/u-s-judge-blocks-trump-move-to-end-daca-program-for-immigrants-idUSKBN1EZ0AR

QuoteU.S. judge blocks Trump move to end DACA program for immigrants

(Reuters) - A U.S. judge blocked President Donald Trump's administration on Tuesday from ending a program that shielded from deportation children brought to the United States illegally by their parents.

Trump decided in September to rescind the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, or DACA. U.S. District Judge William Alsup ruled in San Francisco on Tuesday the program must remain in place while litigation over Trump's decision unfolds.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Zoupa

Quote from: Berkut on January 09, 2018, 02:52:08 PM
Quote from: Benedict Arnold on January 09, 2018, 02:50:37 PM
Quote from: Jacob on January 09, 2018, 02:10:31 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 09, 2018, 01:44:20 PM
Which is hopefully something doesn't happen as that likely leads to a situation where militarily powerful nations in the world start carving it up. Decentralized Europe doesn't stand a hope.

Yeah, while there were issues with the Pax Americana based on the post-WWII consensus and a commitment to Western democratic ideals as defined and promoted by the US, all told I was pretty comfortable with it.

The US led the free world based on compelling ideals, mutual benefit, and their position of strength.
If you lived in Central America, South America, Africa, or Asia, you might have a very different opinion of the merits of the Pax Americana and American "commitment" to Western Democratic ideals. 

Indeed. What a nightmare American peace has been for those areas of the world mentioned. If only they had been able to enjoy the peace, prosperity, and justice that was denied them by American interference.

Never change, Berky.

USA! USA! USA!

Valmy

Quote from: Zoupa on January 10, 2018, 12:43:57 AM
Never change, Berky.

USA! USA! USA!

It is not about the USA though. It is about the western post-war system that we helped set up with the assistance of our allies. The one that Trump and his followers think screws up somehow and they are trying to dismantle.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jan/09/the-other-fire-and-fury-decade-old-book-becomes-unexpected-bestseller

QuoteThe other Fire and Fury: decade-old book becomes unexpected bestseller

When it was released 10 years ago, Randall Hansen's book performed as expected, racking up strong sales that gradually tapered off. But this week the Canadian professor's 2008 book unexpectedly leapt back on to bestseller lists.

The reason lies in the book's name – Fire and Fury: The Allied Bombing of Germany, 1942-1945 – just a subtitle away from the Michael Wolff's explosive exposé of the Trump White House.

"I haven't seen this level of interest since the book first came out," said Hansen, a political science professor at the University of Toronto.

He was in Washington on Friday when Wolff's book was released and had joked with his colleagues about the book he had written long ago with the same title.

After dinner on Friday Hansen logged into Amazon and found that his book – which explores civilian perspectives on the Allied bombing of Germany during the second world war – had edged back on to three of the site's bestseller categories. "It amused me and part of me thought, can people really be that dumb to be confusing these books?"

In a few cases, it appeared that this was exactly what had happened. "I had a couple of bitter comments," said Hansen. "There was one tweet, he came forward and said, 'I bought this book by accident and there's no way I'm reading it,' in kind of this accusatory tone. I thought well, 'it's not quite my fault, mate.'"

Others had stumbled upon Hansen's work during their search for Wolff's book, and had bought the critically acclaimed book out of interest.

Hansen said he wouldn't know how many copies of his book had sold in recent days until his royalty statements came in next month. But he was delighted that his book was now part of the wider conversation about Trump and his administration.

While Wolff used fire and fury to reference Trump's threat of war against North Korea, Hansen's book delves into what fire and fury looks like in practice, exploring the horrific consequences war holds for civilians.

"And we're talking about that at a moment when we have this warmongering, unstable, deranged demagogue in the White House," he said. "So that coincidence actually makes me happier than the sales."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on January 10, 2018, 12:56:32 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on January 10, 2018, 12:43:57 AM
Never change, Berky.

USA! USA! USA!

It is not about the USA though. It is about the western post-war system that we helped set up with the assistance of our allies. The one that Trump and his followers think screws up somehow and they are trying to dismantle.

My impression was that US-Latin American relations have improved tremendously since 1991 and that Latin American standards of Living have increased dramatically since the 1940's.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

No, Raz.  It's been pure hell for them, and solely due to the evil Yanquis keeping them down.  I mean, look at Venezuela.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on January 10, 2018, 12:35:48 PM
No, Raz.  It's been pure hell for them, and solely due to the evil Yanquis keeping them down.  I mean, look at Venezuela.

Indeed. Just look at Central and South American history.

It was an unbroken string of awesome, benevolent, and prosperous rulers, governments, and societies from antiquity right up until the US fucked it all up.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

grumbler

How fitting that the Trump thread has become the Strawman Thread.  :lol:  Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on January 10, 2018, 12:02:56 PM
My impression was that US-Latin American relations have improved tremendously since 1991 and that Latin American standards of Living have increased dramatically since the 1940's.

That would be right. Especially with regards to Mexico. At least until very recently.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

Latin American standards of living have increase greatly since the 1940s. However, the overall standard of living in Latin America at the turn of the 20th century was roughly comparable to that in southern Europe, IIRC.

It has not kept pace with the increases in life expectancy, literacy, etc., etc. seen in southern European nations since then, and there is considerable debate as to why.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned