And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: frunk on January 08, 2018, 01:23:13 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 08, 2018, 12:17:25 PM
I don't think you can separate out "things that make it likely to be elected" from "things that mean he'll do a good job once elected".  Being electable is a key qualification for being a politician.

As a voter I think it's very important to separate out the two.

As do I.  "Handsome" is something helps a man get elected.  It's not really much of a qualification for office.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Savonarola

Quote from: derspiess on January 08, 2018, 12:49:02 PM
Fair question.  Jeb!, for example, was about as terrible a candidate as you can get.  Yet oddly enough I think he could have made a halfway decent president. 

Some others-- particularly Rand (with whom I still stand), Cruz, and Rubio-- I still think were good candidates.  They just got caught off-guard by Trump's asshattery and in the latter two cases Trump pummeled them when they tried to beat him at his own game.  I think Kasich was also a pretty good candidate but waited too long to commit to running.

Also Rand and Cruz; and Rubio and Bush both drew from the same ideological pool of voters.  This split the donations and votes and allowed Trump to divide and conquer.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Grey Fox

Quote from: derspiess on January 08, 2018, 01:47:12 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on January 08, 2018, 01:43:41 PM
Trump is the best candidate a right leaning american voter can wish for. All the others were unelectable in a general election.

Altho, it is a surprise that Trump is.

I think the GOP had multiple candidates that could have beaten Hillary.  Rubio and Kasich are the first two that come to mind.

No. They wouldn't have carried Rust Belt states.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Savonarola

Quote from: Tamas on January 08, 2018, 12:58:04 PM
Today the thought hit me that all political news, articles, TV shows, general discourse, have been dominated by Trump since the start of the primaries. I am now utterly tired of him and the hysteria on both end of the Trump spectrum, and I dread the thought of having to endure 7 more years of this shit. Because there is no way he can lose if all the world revolves around him to this fucking degree.

It isn't just hysteria, the public (or at least the media watching public) has a weird fascination with him.  I now know how many Diet Cokes Trump drinks every day (12) thanks to CNN's relentless journalistic efforts.  For whatever reason we need to know personal details that specific about Trump.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

garbon

Quote from: Savonarola on January 08, 2018, 01:57:45 PM
Quote from: Tamas on January 08, 2018, 12:58:04 PM
Today the thought hit me that all political news, articles, TV shows, general discourse, have been dominated by Trump since the start of the primaries. I am now utterly tired of him and the hysteria on both end of the Trump spectrum, and I dread the thought of having to endure 7 more years of this shit. Because there is no way he can lose if all the world revolves around him to this fucking degree.

It isn't just hysteria, the public (or at least the media watching public) has a weird fascination with him.  I now know how many Diet Cokes Trump drinks every day (12) thanks to CNN's relentless journalistic efforts.  For whatever reason we need to know personal details that specific about Trump.

Well while we know you are obsessed with detailing the low standards of CNN, I doubt that most of us actually look at CNN on a regular basis.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

I don't think you can separate out "things that make it likely to be elected" from "things that mean he'll do a good job once elected".  Being electable is a key qualification for being a politician.

I think I would make an excellent politician, but I doubt I'd ever be able to get elected.  Which would of course make me a terrible politician.

And yes "running a billion dollar business" is probably a qualification in and of itself, even given his numerous failures.

This is circular reasoning - that if someone gets elected, they must be qualified, by virtue of having been elected.

Point of 'qualifications' is that they point to previous relevant experience and skills, which arguably has some sort of predictive power as to their likely performance on the job.

An unqualified candidate may well win, but that doesn't stop them from being unqualified.

I seem to recall Justin Trudeau getting a lot of criticism for his lack of qualifications for a leadership role (a critique with some real sting) - but he was far more qualified than Trump, having been a MP since 2008.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on January 08, 2018, 02:11:41 PM

I think I would make an excellent politician, but I doubt I'd ever be able to get elected.  Which would of course make me a terrible politician.

And yes "running a billion dollar business" is probably a qualification in and of itself, even given his numerous failures.

This is circular reasoning - that if someone gets elected, they must be qualified, by virtue of having been elected.

Point of 'qualifications' is that they point to previous relevant experience and skills, which arguably has some sort of predictive power as to their likely performance on the job.

An unqualified candidate may well win, but that doesn't stop them from being unqualified.

I seem to recall Justin Trudeau getting a lot of criticism for his lack of qualifications for a leadership role (a critique with some real sting) - but he was far more qualified than Trump, having been a MP since 2008.

Yeah kind of like when a person gets hired for a job. You can get hired for a job despite not being qualified for it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

That said, Sav, I did just watch the interview with Stephen Miller. First thought, damn this dude seems like he's dead inside. Second thought, did he really just say the book is a garbage book by a garbage author and third, oh fuck really, Trump Force One? :(

Habbaku

Quote from: garbon on January 08, 2018, 02:23:25 PM
That said, Sav, I did just watch the interview with Stephen Miller. First thought, damn this dude seems like he's dead inside. Second thought, did he really just say the book is a garbage book by a garbage author and third, oh fuck really, Trump Force One? :(

I'm watching it right now. Miller is getting seriously triggered.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

grumbler

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 08, 2018, 01:55:20 PM
Quote from: derspiess on January 08, 2018, 01:47:12 PM
I think the GOP had multiple candidates that could have beaten Hillary.  Rubio and Kasich are the first two that come to mind.

Kasich was a popular two-term governor of a rust belt state. Saying he couldn't carry rust belt states when he had done it twice is foolish.

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 08, 2018, 01:55:20 PM

Against Hillary?  I think they could've.  Especially Kasich.  Being a popular governor in a Rust Belt state might've helped him a little.

edit: Dang you, grumbler.  Dang you to Heck.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Also they might have carried states Hillary won like Virginia and Colorado. It's not like Republicans haven't won before.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 08, 2018, 04:30:20 PM
Also they might have carried states Hillary won like Virginia and Colorado. It's not like Republicans haven't won before.

I think the trend in Virginia and Colorado is bluer and bluer.  Virginia because of federal sprawl and Colorado because every pothead in the country is moving there.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 08, 2018, 05:02:05 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 08, 2018, 04:30:20 PM

I think the trend in Virginia and Colorado is bluer and bluer.  Virginia because of federal sprawl and Colorado because every pothead in the country is moving there.

I wonder how that will play with California if Sessions 's play doesn't actually lead to war on the states policies. After all, why live in Colorado for that reason if you can live in California? :D

dps

I think you're ignoring that there is a big difference between politics and statesmanship.