Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Habbaku on January 08, 2018, 01:14:55 PM
Quote from: Berkut on January 08, 2018, 01:04:26 PM
Cruz is a good candidate. That's funny.

It's pretty telling who DerS considers a good candidate and a bad candidate. Calling Jeb! "as terrible a candidate as you can get" while thinking Cruz and Rubio were good ones? :wacko:

I think he was referring to Jeb's abilities as a retail politician - which indeed were far from impressive (though "as terrible a candidate as you can get" is ridiculous hyperbole since we had the example if Ben Carson running against him).

Thinking Cruz would be a good President required expecting a certain kind of "pivot" from his bomb-throwing reputation in the Senate.  But he seemed smart enough that he might pull it off.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

It's pretty telling who DerS considers a good candidate and a bad candidate. Calling Jeb! "as terrible a candidate as you can get" while thinking Cruz and Rubio were good ones? :wacko:

Seems reasonable enough if one of your key metrics for "good candidates" is the ability to motivate turnout among the spiteful identity warrior and fiscal nihilist wings of the Republican party.

Habbaku

Quote from: Jacob on January 08, 2018, 01:17:45 PM

Seems reasonable enough if one of your key metrics for "good candidates" is the ability to motivate turnout among the spiteful identity warrior and fiscal nihilist wings of the Republican party.

That does seem to be a prerequisite these days.  :(
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on January 08, 2018, 01:17:13 PM
I think he was referring to Jeb's abilities as a retail politician - which indeed were far from impressive (though "as terrible a candidate as you can get" is ridiculous hyperbole since we had the example if Ben Carson running against him).

More specifically, I was thinking of Jeb!'s historically embarrassing $ spent per vote.  He performed terribly as a candidate, ergo he was a bad candidate.  As I mentioned (and I guess it was ignored) I think he'd have made a decent president.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

frunk

Quote from: Barrister on January 08, 2018, 12:17:25 PM
I don't think you can separate out "things that make it likely to be elected" from "things that mean he'll do a good job once elected".  Being electable is a key qualification for being a politician.

As a voter I think it's very important to separate out the two.

Habbaku

Quote from: derspiess on January 08, 2018, 01:20:20 PM
He performed terribly as a candidate, ergo he was a bad candidate.

:lol: Glad we got that cleared up.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

derspiess

They both ran laps around Jeb!.  Cruz got 7.8 million primary votes, and Rubio got 3.5 million.  Jeb! got 286,694.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Habbaku

And Trump lapped all of them. Therefore, he's your best candidate.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

derspiess

Quote from: frunk on January 08, 2018, 01:23:13 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 08, 2018, 12:17:25 PM
I don't think you can separate out "things that make it likely to be elected" from "things that mean he'll do a good job once elected".  Being electable is a key qualification for being a politician.

As a voter I think it's very important to separate out the two.

For sure.  Sometimes. 

derspiess

Quote from: Habbaku on January 08, 2018, 01:26:52 PM

He won, didn't he?  :P

Eddie Teach

Quote from: derspiess on January 08, 2018, 01:31:32 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on January 08, 2018, 01:26:52 PM

He won, didn't he?  :P

Something something popular vote.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

frunk

crazy canuck

Quote from: frunk on January 08, 2018, 01:37:57 PM
Quote from: derspiess on January 08, 2018, 01:28:05 PM
For sure.  Sometimes.

And that sometimes exception is how we get Trump.

Perhaps the best summary of the election thus far  :)

Grey Fox

Trump is the best candidate a right leaning american voter can wish for. All the others were unelectable in a general election.

Altho, it is a surprise that Trump is.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 08, 2018, 01:43:41 PM
Trump is the best candidate a right leaning american voter can wish for. All the others were unelectable in a general election.

Altho, it is a surprise that Trump is.

I think the GOP had multiple candidates that could have beaten Hillary.  Rubio and Kasich are the first two that come to mind.