What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on June 07, 2017, 01:08:50 PM
You must be very sensitive, getting burned by raindrops like that :console:

Acid rain is a big deal.  Or at least it was in the 80s.

More seriously, what do you base the "there's nothing there" re: Pence on?

Um, absence of any evidence?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on June 07, 2017, 01:53:32 PM

For a lawyer in a courtroom, absence of evidence leads to the inevitable conclusion that there is no possibility of finding liability (if a civil case) or guilt (if criminal). Hell, for the former you need to demonstrate proof to the balance of probabilities, and for the latter, proof beyond a reasonable doubt.

For a scientist studying brainless primitive slime-molds, 'absence of evidence is not evidence of absence'. The reason: we know very little about primitive slime-molds, they don't preserve very well in the fossil record: it makes sense to postulate that they may have existed a long time ago, even though we have no actual evidence of it. The fact that there is no evidence of their primitive forbearers must be weighed against the fact that their modern descendants clearly exist now, in all their slimy glory; common sense dictates that they probably had ancestors, even though we don't know it for sure.   

I guess it depends on whether one views the Trump administration more as a crime being prosecuted, or more as a sort of brainless slime-mold.   ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

But we have a fair bit of evidence about what goes on in the White House.  The place leaks like a sieve under Trump.

Look, here's my theory of the entire Trump-Russia connection.  There's no outright treason going on here.  Trump isn't a Russian plant (and the Russians aren't actively blackmailing him).  His crazy Russophile tendencies are just part of what makes Trump be Trump.  He probably however does have a whole bunch of Russian money invested in his business though.

But anyways.  So Trump isn't actively in cahoots with the Russians.  But he's a kind of hands-off manager who likes to see his underlings fight for his respect.  So knowing this, several of his underlings (Flynn, Manafort, Kushner, possibly Sessions) have reached out on their own to try and cut some deals with the Russians.  Which Trump is now trying to cover up and shut down any investigation into.

But look at the people doing it.  Manafort sold his soul to foreign interests long ago.  Mike Flynn, well hell he might actually be a Russian agent at this point.  He had the numerous RT appearances, sitting beside Putin at an RT gala.  And Kushner, who just doesn't know what the hell he's doing.

I dunno - Pence seems like he's smart enough to not go and start blabbing to the Russians.  He's a polished enough politician to know you just can't do that.

But we'll see.  There's nothing that will shock me at this point.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Trump has swallowed so much Putin sauce he's now more Russian than American.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Brain on June 07, 2017, 02:42:43 PM

Sounds like BB enjoys his share of fat, juicy Russian cock as well.  Mmm, mmm.

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on June 07, 2017, 01:53:32 PMUm, absence of any evidence?

Well, the investigation is only getting started so it's a bit early to draw any conclusions, I'd think.

viper37

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 07, 2017, 03:38:01 PM

Sometimes, do you reflect on your attitude and tell yourself "I think I've gone too far this time.  It's possible people might not take me seriously anymore." ?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Zanza

Quote from: Malthus on June 07, 2017, 02:16:27 PM
Quote from: derspiess on June 07, 2017, 01:53:32 PM

For a lawyer in a courtroom, absence of evidence leads to the inevitable conclusion that there is no possibility of finding liability (if a civil case) or guilt (if criminal). Hell, for the former you need to demonstrate proof to the balance of probabilities, and for the latter, proof beyond a reasonable doubt.

For a scientist studying brainless primitive slime-molds, 'absence of evidence is not evidence of absence'. The reason: we know very little about primitive slime-molds, they don't preserve very well in the fossil record: it makes sense to postulate that they may have existed a long time ago, even though we have no actual evidence of it. The fact that there is no evidence of their primitive forbearers must be weighed against the fact that their modern descendants clearly exist now, in all their slimy glory; common sense dictates that they probably had ancestors, even though we don't know it for sure.   

I guess it depends on whether one views the Trump administration more as a crime being prosecuted, or more as a sort of brainless slime-mold.   ;)
:lol: Good post

CountDeMoney

Quote from: viper37 on June 07, 2017, 04:22:50 PM

Sometimes, do you reflect on your attitude and tell yourself "I think I've gone too far this time.  It's possible people might not take me seriously anymore." ?

Nope.  None of you assholes are worth that much effort.  You're all pretty much cunts I couldn't give two royal fucks about.

Habbaku

Quote from: Jacob on June 07, 2017, 03:46:23 PM
Quote from: derspiess on June 07, 2017, 01:53:32 PMUm, absence of any evidence?

Well, the investigation is only getting started so it's a bit early to draw any conclusions, I'd think.

This is what gets me about the whole thing. People like DerSpiess and others who have no clue as to how these investigations usually work out have been screaming themselves red over there not being evidence...yet they are the same people that wanted multiple Benghazi investigations, ignore obvious signs of malfeasance in the Trump campaign, and essentially want an end to the entire Russia scandal before any conclusions have been drawn one way or the other.

If it were Hillary in Trump's position, we all know how they'd react, and it wouldn't be the same at all.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 07, 2017, 04:47:06 PM

Nope.  None of you assholes are worth that much effort.  You're all pretty much cunts I couldn't give two royal fucks about.

Royal fucking sounds like a pretty staid affair.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

QuoteCountDeMoney
Global Moderator
Neil

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on June 07, 2017, 05:06:44 PM

QuoteCountDeMoney
Global Moderator
Neil

That doesn't prove anything. I don't think post volume is an indicator of how much one cares about other people.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Analysis by Benjamin Wittes: https://www.lawfareblog.com/initial-comments-james-comeys-written-testimony

QuoteI will make three general observations based on this document alone.

First, Comey is describing here conduct that a society committed to the rule of law simply cannot accept in a president...

QuoteSecond, we are about to see a full-court press against Comey. I don't know what it will look like. But the attack instinct always kicks in when a presidency is under siege. And Trump has the attack instinct in spades even when he's not under siege. It is important to remember what the stakes are here. They are not about whether Comey was treated fairly. They are not about whether you like him. They are not about whether he handled the Clinton email investigation in the highest traditions of the FBI or the Justice Department. They are not about leaks. The stakes here are about whether what Comey is reporting in this document are true facts and, if so, what we need as a political society to do about the reality that we have a president who behaves this way and seeks to use the FBI in this fashion. It is critical, in other words, that people not change the subject or get distracted when others try to do so.

QuoteFinally, it is also critical—though probably fruitless to say—that we eschew partisanship in the conversation. Tomorrow, this document will be the discussion text when Comey faces a committee that, warts and all, has handled the Russia matter to date in a respectable and honorably bipartisan fashion. It is not too much to ask that members put aside party and respond as patriots to the fact that the former FBI director will swear an oath that these facts are true—and was fired after these interactions allegedly took place by a man who then told Lester Holt that "when I decided to just do it [fire Comey], I said to myself ... this Russia thing with Trump and Russia is a made up story," and boasted to the Russians the day after dismissing Comey that "I faced great pressure because of Russia. That's taken off."

Benjamin Wittes is editor in chief of Lawfare and a Senior Fellow in Governance Studies at the Brookings Institution. He is the author of several books and is co-chair of the Hoover Institution's Working Group on National Security, Technology, and Law.