And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: grumbler on December 04, 2016, 11:34:29 AM
Quote from: derspiess on December 03, 2016, 04:32:00 PM
Shocked.  Had Obama talked to the Taiwan president you'd have been totally on board, telling us how expert a move it was.

Shocked.  Had Obama talked to the Taiwan president you'd have been totally apeshit, telling us how stupid and inexperienced a move it was.

No.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Quote from: grumbler on December 04, 2016, 11:41:07 AM
Quote from: DGuller on December 03, 2016, 11:05:54 PM
...  I would rather debate with an imbecile than a liar...

Luckily for us, we don't have to make that choice when debating you.

Grumber has run in to the ring and hits the Russian with a chair! OH MY GAWD
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on December 04, 2016, 11:44:49 AM
Quote from: grumbler on December 04, 2016, 11:34:29 AM
Quote from: derspiess on December 03, 2016, 04:32:00 PM
Shocked.  Had Obama talked to the Taiwan president you'd have been totally on board, telling us how expert a move it was.

Shocked.  Had Obama talked to the Taiwan president you'd have been totally apeshit, telling us how stupid and inexperienced a move it was.

No.

Bullshit.  I don't think you have changed a bit since the start of November.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 04, 2016, 11:49:13 AM
Quote from: grumbler on December 04, 2016, 11:41:07 AM
Quote from: DGuller on December 03, 2016, 11:05:54 PM
...  I would rather debate with an imbecile than a liar...

Luckily for us, we don't have to make that choice when debating you.

Grumber has run in to the ring and hits the Russian with a chair! OH MY GAWD

IT'S A SLOBBERKNOCKER!
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

Quote from: Oexmelin on December 04, 2016, 11:36:32 AM
Don't forget vain. Obama was so vain, couldn't stop talking about himself. That was such a big problem. Good thing the next White House will be the epitome of restraint and selflessness.

:D

He hasn't said/tweeted anything stupid today, has he? :unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on December 04, 2016, 12:24:09 PM
Don't forget vain. Obama was so vain, couldn't stop talking about himself. That was such a big problem. Good thing the next White House will be the epitome of restraint and selflessness.

He's just been threatening companies this morning, that's all.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump

Habbaku

Quote from: dps on December 04, 2016, 06:59:45 AM
Don't talk about your love of democracy, Mr. "Let's get rid of free speech I don't agree with".  You only like democracy when your side wins elections.

Where did he do this?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Nevermind.  Just had to read further.   :)
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 04, 2016, 12:34:21 PM
Quote from: mongers on December 04, 2016, 12:24:09 PM

He's just been threatening companies this morning, that's all.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump

:lol:

I spoke too soon.  :blush:

KRonn

As Obama was running for office he said he'd talk to anyone and I tended to agree, with some reservations perhaps. All dem supporters would say how it was great to talk and that it never hurts to talk to anyone, and of course the media breathlessly agreed. But now, Trump just takes a call from a Taiwanese president who is head of the only democracy in China and he's dumb, foolish and wrong. The media breathlessly rushes to complain of horror! Lol.   :D   Politics as usual, media as usual.

Besides, China has been running all over the US and the pacific, creating islands to claim territory. They've done little or nothing to curb N. Korea's nuke program. So maybe this is a way to leverage China a bit more, or to give them pause. Or maybe it was just a phone call from Taiwan's president to congratulate and no sign of a policy shift.

grumbler

Quote from: KRonn on December 04, 2016, 12:53:17 PM
As Obama was running for office he said he'd talk to anyone and I tended to agree, with some reservations perhaps. All dem supporters would say how it was great to talk and that it never hurts to talk to anyone, and of course the media breathlessly agreed. But now, Trump just takes a call from a Taiwanese president who is head of the only democracy in China and he's dumb, foolish and wrong. The media breathlessly rushes to complain of horror! Lol.   :D   Politics as usual, media as usual.

Besides, China has been running all over the US and the pacific, creating islands to claim territory. They've done little or nothing to curb N. Korea's nuke program. So maybe this is a way to leverage China a bit more, or to give them pause. Or maybe it was just a phone call from Taiwan's president to congratulate and no sign of a policy shift.

I think the last point is likeliest the correct evaluation, but I agree with you that the shock and horror over Trump taking the call is largely just partisanship.  Trump is providing enough real justifications for shock and horror; no sense making others up.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

It unnecessarily complicates something that did not warrant becoming more complicated than it already is--especially when there's no plan behind it, let alone any intelligence. 

But hey, enough with the partisanship, right? Let's take the single most important internal political issue and primary security concern of our most powerful adversary in the region, and drag a big ol' gold-gilded dick all over it like it's a pageant contestant, fuck yeah. 

Syt

http://www.politico.com/blogs/donald-trump-administration/2016/12/paul-ryan-constitution-trump-232108?cmpid=sf

QuotePaul Ryan: I've discussed Constitution 'extensively' with Trump

House Speaker Paul Ryan and President-elect Donald Trump have discussed the Constitution "extensively" in their almost daily conversations.

In an excerpt of a "60 Minutes" interview to air Sunday, Ryan was asked whether he has conveyed to Trump that being president is not the same as being the CEO of the country and that Congress will have a role in his administration.

"Oh, we've talked about that extensively," Ryan said. "We've talked about the Constitution, Article 1 on the Constitution, the separation of powers. He feels very strongly, actually, that under President Obama's watch, he stripped a lot of power away from the Constitution, away from the legislative branch of government, and we wanna reset the balance of power so that people and the Constitution are rightfully restored."

Trump has repeatedly come under fire for what appears to be a lack of knowledge of the Constitution. The president-elect earlier this week suggested people who burn the American flag — which the Supreme Court affirmed is protected under the First Amendment's freedom of speech — should serve a year in jail or have their citizenship revoked.

He reportedly told House Republicans in a private meeting in July that he backed Article 12 of the Constitution, which doesn't exist, as there are only seven articles.

And later that month, Khizr Khan, the father of slain Muslim-American soldier Humayun Khan, pulled out a pocket-sized Constitution during his Democratic National Convention address and asked Trump, "Have you even read the U.S. Constitution?"

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Quote from: Syt on December 04, 2016, 01:24:38 PM
http://www.politico.com/blogs/donald-trump-administration/2016/12/paul-ryan-constitution-trump-232108?cmpid=sf

:blink:

Why would a major US businessman need or want to know more about the constitution?

Save perhaps for when they need to direct a stagecoach via it.