And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 03, 2016, 10:19:03 PM
Quote from: DGuller on December 03, 2016, 08:06:56 PM
On a political scale, we're both moderate leftists.

You really need to stop referring to your alt account in the first person.

He saves his sensible posts for Alfred these days.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

dps

Quote from: Berkut on December 03, 2016, 07:33:07 PM
I love that even in the face of Trump, you stay focused on the true priority: Making sure that the actual objective people are demonized more than the radicals on the other side.

You are just like the Muslim jihadist agreeing that killing Jews is great, but nothing beats killing an atheist.
:lol: What you are is not objective.  What you are is a judge who considers himself fair because he rules for the plaintiff half the time and rules for the defendant the other half the time.  You've been pretty subdued after a Trump victory, but we all knew it would only be a matter of time before you again became a self-important false balance windbag.

On a political scale, we're both moderate leftists.  I've also been an extremist anti-GOPer, but had less to do with my left wing ideology and more to do with love of democracy.  I didn't need Trump to see fascist strain running through America's right wing.

Don't talk about your love of democracy, Mr. "Let's get rid of free speech I don't agree with".  You only like democracy when your side wins elections.

As for Berkut, I don't think he's moved to the left over the past decade (and I don't recall him ever making a post calling himself "Mr. Republican" though maybe he did and I've forgotten it or just never read it in the first place).  In my memory, he's always described himself as a moderate, though I don't exactly agree with that self-assessment.  I think I posted several years ago that IMO he's quite liberal on civil rights/social issues, but actually pretty conservative on economics and foreign affairs/defense issues, and I don't think those stances combine to make someone a moderate;  it makes them fairly unclassifiable using standard left/right labels.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

DGuller

Quote from: dps on December 04, 2016, 06:59:45 AM
Don't talk about your love of democracy, Mr. "Let's get rid of free speech I don't agree with".  You only like democracy when your side wins elections.
I think I explained my reasoning in the thread where I wondered out loud about whether in this day and age, with the technology available to us, free speech can be used as a weapon against democracy by fascists.  And I wondered out loud whether that will result in the best long-term outcome for democracy, or whether some protections that would nominally impinge on free speech will actually serve democracy better.

Now, you may disagree with my reasoning, and we can have a debate.  However, to interpret this in the way that let you paraphrase it like that, and then say that I like democracy only when my side wins?  That requires some willful misrepresentation.  I don't know why you've been gunning for me for years now, but really, knock it off, it's fucking annoying.

Berkut

Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 04, 2016, 07:25:51 AM
He's a hawkish libertarian.

That was probably accurate at some point, I don't know that it is now. Still relatively hawkish probably, but the term "libertarian" even, small-l, probably has some implications I would not agree with, although it would have plenty I am very happy to line up behind.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Berkut

Quote from: Razgovory on December 04, 2016, 11:28:44 AM
I remember all of your iterations.

I am certain your memory is full of interesting and incredible stuff.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on December 03, 2016, 04:32:00 PM
Shocked.  Had Obama talked to the Taiwan president you'd have been totally on board, telling us how expert a move it was.

Shocked.  Had Obama talked to the Taiwan president you'd have been totally apeshit, telling us how stupid and inexperienced a move it was.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Oexmelin

Don't forget vain. Obama was so vain, couldn't stop talking about himself. That was such a big problem. Good thing the next White House will be the epitome of restraint and selflessness.
Que le grand cric me croque !

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on December 03, 2016, 11:05:54 PM
...  I would rather debate with an imbecile than a liar...

Luckily for us, we don't have to make that choice when debating you.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 04, 2016, 12:02:17 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 03, 2016, 10:19:03 PM
On a political scale, we're both moderate leftists.

You really need to stop referring to your alt account in the first person.

He saves his sensible posts for Alfred these days.  :P

:lol:

Bayraktar!