News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaCroix

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 04, 2016, 11:15:35 PM
Yeah I'm not seeing the logic here.  Lots of ways to signal a tougher approach on China, this one seems designed to piss them off for the sake of pissing them off.

but it seems like something trump would do. and I don't necessarily mean that as a bad thing here

DGuller

That's the genius of Trump's approach.  His style means that everyone can see in him what they want to see.  "He lies about most things, but he really means it when he talks about the issues I care about!"  "He's not crazy, he's crazy like a fox!"  "He may sound crazy, but he's a successful businessman, he'll hire smart people!"

To be fair, I had a spell of "he's crazy like a fox" thinking myself for some time during the GOP primaries.  But eventually I realized that no, he's just fucking crazy, but he happened to be just the right fucking crazy man at just the right time.  Problem is that there is no guarantee that the right time for his style will continue, but there is a pretty solid guarantee that he'll continue being the fucking crazy man.

jimmy olsen

Ugh :bleeding:

http://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/308712-ivanka-was-finalizing-deal-with-japanese-apparel-giant-when-she

QuoteIvanka was finalizing Japanese business deal at time of Trump, Abe meeting: report

By Brooke Seipel - 12/04/16 09:18 PM EST

Ivanka Trump, one of the president-elect's daughters, was in the process of finalizing a business deal with a Japanese company when she sat in on Donald Trump's meeting with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, according to a new report.

The New York Times reports that at the same time as the meeting Ivanka attended, another meeting was going on in Tokyo as her clothing company worked to reach a licensing agreement with Sanei International, whose largest shareholder is wholly owned by the Japanese government.

The Times reported that the deal has been in the works for two years. There are no reports that the discussion at Trump Tower included mention of Ivanka's business venture. The Times noted, however, that the circumstances illustrate the potential conflicts of interest facing the Trump family once their father is sworn in.

Last week, Trump announced on Twitter that he and his children would share plans on Dec. 15 about "leaving my great business in total in order to fully focus on running the country." Doing so is "visually important," he wrote, "to in no way have a conflict of interest with my various businesses."

The New York Times challenged that notion in its article, noting that "an examination of the professional histories of the three children — who also serve on the presidential transition team — shows how deeply the Trump family, Trump business and Trump politics are interwoven, raising significant doubts about how meaningful a wall can ever be erected between Mr. Trump and his heirs at the Trump Organization."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

MadImmortalMan

It seems really unlikely considering what the Trumps do that these kinds of things weren't going to happen. I doubt this is the last either.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Tonitrus

While there are undoubtedly a myriad of potential conflict-of-interest issues with Trump & Family...I must admit being a little bit sympathetic (to the complexities, not the wealth itself).

Sure, Donald, if it were just himself, could liquidate the Trump empire, and expect to just coast post-Presidency on his wealth right into grave.  However, I am sure he intended to leave his business/fortune to his kids, so it could continue into perpetuity.  Liquidating it wholesale would just turn the kids into a bunch of jobless, society inheritance snobs (well, even more so). 

I don't think it's fair to force someone to throw out their family business, or cut oneself off from one's children.  There are lots of CoI issues, to be sure...but not many fair/reasonable solutions either...short of making the Trumps jobless/indolent rich, which I doubt anyone wants.   

DGuller

Honestly, if self-dealing by the Trump family is the worst we have to worry about, we'll be getting off very, very lightly.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 05, 2016, 12:46:25 AM
While there are undoubtedly a myriad of potential conflict-of-interest issues with Trump & Family...I must admit being a little bit sympathetic (to the complexities, not the wealth itself).

Sure, Donald, if it were just himself, could liquidate the Trump empire, and expect to just coast post-Presidency on his wealth right into grave.  However, I am sure he intended to leave his business/fortune to his kids, so it could continue into perpetuity.  Liquidating it wholesale would just turn the kids into a bunch of jobless, society inheritance snobs (well, even more so). 

I don't think it's fair to force someone to throw out their family business, or cut oneself off from one's children.  There are lots of CoI issues, to be sure...but not many fair/reasonable solutions either...short of making the Trumps jobless/indolent rich, which I doubt anyone wants.   

But he still didn't have to put all his kids on the transition team, and have Ivanka sit in on the meeting with Abe.

Tonitrus

Agree.

But probably habit.  It seems like his kids/family are his closest advisors in the business world...it will be a hard habit to break, especially for someone who seems to hold personal loyalty pretty dear.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 05, 2016, 01:20:04 AM
Agree.

But probably habit.  It seems like his kids/family are his closest advisors in the business world...it will be a hard habit to break, especially for someone who seems to hold personal loyalty pretty dear.

Dude, you're an enabler.

Richard Hakluyt

It is a pity about the nepotism. Now, if you'd all gone for Jeb Bush in the primaries, or voted for Mrs Clinton, nepotism would not be an issue.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 05, 2016, 01:37:58 AM
Agree.

Dude, you're an enabler.

Not saying it's right.  It just is.

Zoupa

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 05, 2016, 01:43:39 AM
It is a pity about the nepotism. Now, if you'd all gone for Jeb Bush in the primaries, or voted for Mrs Clinton, nepotism would not be an issue.

^_^ :bowler:

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 05, 2016, 01:37:58 AM
Agree.

Dude, you're an enabler.

He's been that for Trump for sometime now.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 05, 2016, 01:43:39 AM

The nepotism is not the problem.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

So Trump is apparently serious about the 35% tariff?   :lol:

Is that a presidential prerogative? I can't see Congress passing that. It's so boneheaded.