What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Yes. Yi gets his Elders membership card revoked.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

DGuller

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 11, 2020, 04:29:07 PM
Yes. Yi gets his Elders membership card revoked.  :P
Yes, because none of the affiliated members would ever think of feigning ignorance of Jewish culture.  We can run the whole world, all right, but a simple act of misdirection is beyond us.  :rolleyes:

Admiral Yi

If goy is pejorative, is there a neutral word in Yiddish for non-Jew?

crazy canuck

I am going to have a word with the people I thought were my friends who have called me a goy  :grr:

The Brain

What's a non-pejorative word for an annoying know-it-all with delusions of genius? I'm asking for a friend.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on November 11, 2020, 04:58:24 PM
What's a non-pejorative word for an annoying know-it-all with delusions of genius? I'm asking for a friend.

Languishite.

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 11, 2020, 04:23:12 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 11, 2020, 03:54:45 PM
I would imagine it's a fascism thing - alluding to anti-semitism. "Goy" is a derogatory Yiddish word for a non-Jew (the more polite English term is "gentile").

I could think of a few other choice words in Yiddish that they can use to describe themselves since they enjoy Yiddish so much, like "meshugga" or "schmuck" ...

I thought goy was the neutral term and shiksa was the pejorative.

Shiksa is a somewhat pejorative term for a non-Jewish woman.

Note that in contrast to "goy", which is "sometimes disparaging", shiksa is "often disparaging":

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/shiksa
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 11, 2020, 05:03:18 PM

Languishite.

The obvious response: NON-PEJORATIVE.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 11, 2020, 04:53:29 PM
I am going to have a word with the people I thought were my friends who have called me a goy  :grr:

It's not strongly pejorative - the Webster dictionary says it is "sometimes disparaging".

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/goy

Here's a whole article on whether it is or is not offensive:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.jta.org/2019/04/22/culture/is-goy-a-slur/amp

It certainly did not start out offensive - it just means "nation" - but like any term on the euphemism treadmill, it gained an offensive tinge over time. It is usual, for English speakers, to use "gentile" rather than "goy" for that reason - you may call a friend a "goy" but you wouldn't want to use the term to describe a stranger whose good opinion you wanted to keep ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

:w00t: I have a friend.  :cry:

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 11, 2020, 04:35:48 PM
If goy is pejorative, is there a neutral word in Yiddish for non-Jew?

My understanding is that it is a bit complex - the word was originally from the Hebrew, is found on the Old Testament, and was neutral in that context (it literally means "nation"). It gained it pejorative meaning over time, and in particular as a loan word in English - often contrasted with the neutral "gentile". Even so, it isn't strongly pejorative.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 11, 2020, 05:12:15 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 11, 2020, 05:03:18 PM

Languishite.

The obvious response: NON-PEJORATIVE.

:lol:

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on November 11, 2020, 05:22:02 PM
:w00t: I have a friend.  :cry:

:hug:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.