What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 16, 2020, 08:36:56 AM
The dead tweet!

It appears to be an account with over 300k followers :unsure:

https://twitter.com/1776Stonewall

QuoteStonewall Jackson
@1776Stonewall
American History Buff. Patriot. Conservative. Believer In Free Speech. . . New Parler account is 1776Stonewall
Joined November 2016
228.9K Following
314.6K Followers
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

And it's bizarre to see Stonewall Jackson praise a John Brown series.

QuoteStonewall Jackson
@1776Stonewall
Anyone else watch the Showtime miniseries "The Good Lord Bird", on John Brown? I enjoyed it very much. I recommend it. I thought Ethan Hawke was fantastic
4:23 AM · Nov 16, 2020·Twitter Web App
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2020/11/16/arctic-refuge-drilling-trump/

QuoteTrump officials rush to auction off rights to Arctic National Wildlife Refuge before Biden can block it

Officials aim to sell drilling rights to the pristine wilderness's coastal plain before Joe Biden takes office

The Trump administration has called for oil and gas firms to pick spots where they want to drill in Alaska's Arctic National Wildlife Refuge as it races to open the pristine wilderness to development and lock in drilling rights before President-elect Joe Biden takes office.

The "call for nominations" to be published Tuesday allows companies to identify tracts to bid on during an upcoming lease sale on the refuge's nearly 1.6-million-acre coastal plain, a sale that the Interior Department aims to hold before Biden takes the oath of office in January. The move would be a capstone of President Trump's efforts to open up public lands to logging, mining and grazing — something Biden strongly opposes.

A GOP-controlled Congress in 2017 authorized drilling in the refuge, a vast wilderness that is home to tens of thousands of migrating caribou and waterfowl, along with polar bears and Arctic foxes.

"Receiving input from industry on which tracts to make available for leasing is vital in conducting a successful lease sale," said Chad Badgett, the Bureau of Land Management's Alaska state director, in a statement. "This call for nominations brings us one step closer to holding a historic first Coastal Plain lease sale, satisfying the directive of Congress in the 2017 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act and advancing this administration's policy of energy independence."

The administration is pressing ahead with other moves to expand energy development and scale back federal environmental rules over the next few weeks. It aims to finalize a plan to open up the vast majority of the National Petroleum Reserve-Alaska to drilling, as well as adopt a narrower definition of what constitutes critical habitat for endangered species and when companies are liable for killing migratory birds.

At the Energy Department, officials may weaken energy-efficiency requirements for shower heads before Inauguration Day.

It is unclear how much appetite there is in the oil and gas industry for drilling in the refuge, given the lack of infrastructure there and the public backlash that could accompany such a move. The area provides habitat for more than 270 species, including the world's remaining Southern Beaufort Sea polar bears, 250 musk oxen and 300,000 snow geese.

Gwich'in Steering Committee executive director Bernadette Demientieff, whose people have traveled with the caribou on the refuge for thousands of years, said in a statement: "Any company thinking about participating in this corrupt process should know that they will have to answer to the Gwich'in people and the millions of Americans who stand with us. We have been protecting this place forever."

But smaller players might be willing to bid on leases, which would be difficult to claw back once they are finalized. Some Alaska Native tribal corporations have already expressed an interest in conducting seismic tests to identify oil reserves on the coastal plain, and they aim to complete that work this winter.

Frank Macchiarola, senior vice president of policy, economics and regulatory affairs at the American Petroleum Institute, said in an interview Friday that the administration is operating "under a tight timeline," but he added that many Alaskans support drilling in the refuge and that the 2017 law gives officials a solid legal basis for moving forward.

"Our view is that Congress has acted," Macchiarola said. "Production in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge is a long time coming. It's overdue, and it's important to our nation's energy security."

Drilling in the refuge has been an ideological litmus test for more than a generation, and environmentalists have pressed major financial institutions not to back it even as it creeps closer to becoming a reality. Some major banks, including JPMorgan Chase and Goldman Sachs, have already announced they will not finance projects in the refuge.

On Monday, the Oslo-based energy research firm Rystad Energy published an analysis saying that going forward, "companies will be less willing to drill high-risk wells in environmentally sensitive frontier areas, both for financial and environmental reasons. As a result, the full petroleum potential of areas like the Alaskan Arctic, Foz do Amazonas in Brazil and the Barents Sea may never be unlocked."

The Bureau of Land Management will hold a 30-day comment period once the call for nominations is published Tuesday. Once that period closes, the agency could publish a lease sale notice, which must be published 30 days before an auction takes place. Under that timeline, drilling rights could be sold before Jan. 20, Inauguration Day.

Several environmental groups are challenging the administration's overall oil and gas leasing program for the refuge in four separate lawsuits. If one of those challenges prevails, it could effectively void the leases.

Eric Grafe, deputy managing attorney for the Alaska office of Earthjustice, said in email that the leases could be in jeopardy for other reasons as well. It often takes several weeks to process bids because the Bureau of Land Management must screen the highest bids for ethical and legal issues before issuing contracts, so if the agency holds an auction but doesn't finalize the leases before Biden's inauguration, "the new administration may be able to avoid issuing them, particularly if it concludes the program or lease sale was unlawfully adopted."

"Even if leases are issued by the Trump administration, the Biden administration could seek to withdraw the leases if it concludes they were unlawfully issued or pose too great a threat to the environment," he said, adding the leaseholders could then argue they deserve financial compensation if the leases are invalidated.

—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2020/nov/17/us-election-joe-biden-donald-trump-coronavirus-covid-19-live-updates?page=with:block-5fb3ed4b8f08b4f3c5674518#block-5fb3ed4b8f08b4f3c5674518

QuoteChuck Grassley is quarantining after being exposed to someone who tested positive for coronavirus, meaning he will not be in the Senate today for the confirmation vote of controversial Fed nominee Judy Shelton.
QuoteSeung Min Kim
@seungminkim
58m
Senate President Pro Tem
@ChuckGrassley
says he is immediately quarantining after exposure to coronavirus. Says he feels fine.

Practically speaking, that means this afternoon's vote on Judy Shelton is on track to fail, 48-49, if Harris shows up to vote.

If Grassley is not there, the vote on Shelton's nomination is expected to fail -- assuming vice-president-elect Kamala Harris is present for the vote.

Harris is scheduled to receive a national security briefing with president-elect Joe Biden this afternoon.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Maybe Joe can send her the Zoom recording after the meeting.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Yeah she can miss the briefing for this.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

PDH

Two out with covid, one (Kelly) not sworn in until after Thanksgiving...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

grumbler

Her nomination fails cloture, 50-47. Ironically, Mitch McConnel (voting last) voted no to end cloture because it keeps alive the chance of bringing up the nomination again.  Lamar Alexander didn't vote because wasn't present (didn't want to support her but didn't want to anger his caucus), and Chuck Grassley and Rick Scott couldn't attend due to Covid-19 diagnoses.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

I must admit that it was fun to see the Republican's lackadaisical attitude about the Coronavirus bite them in the ass on a key vote.  I don't wish ill on any person, but hope that the republican Senate can never for the rest of the term get a majority.  Five or six severe but non-lethal cases at any time would satisfy me.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

merithyn

Unfortunately, Grassley is on the wrong side of 85 for this to be an easy ride for him. :( I'm not a fan of his now, but at one time, I happily cast my ballot for him in elections. I don't wish this on him.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Monoriu

QuoteJudy Lynn Shelton is an American economic advisor to President Donald Trump.[2] She is known for her advocacy for a return to the gold standard

A return to the gold standard?  How does that work in practice?  :unsure: