What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: frunk on September 03, 2019, 07:25:05 AM
Can someone explain how we have a president getting into twitter fights with weathermen over where a hurricane is going?

Will of the people. :)

merithyn

Quote from: Tamas on September 03, 2019, 07:28:10 AM
Can someone explain how we have a president getting into twitter fights with weathermen over where a hurricane is going?

Fewer than 50% of the people! :contract:

Sorry.... I'm hanging onto that bit by a thread to keep me sane until 2020. :blush:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Habbaku

Quote from: merithyn on September 03, 2019, 10:46:49 AM

Sorry.... I'm hanging onto that bit by a thread to keep me sane until 2020. :blush:

Certainly helps me. Roughly 56% of eligible voters actually voted in the 2016 election, and of that only ~46% voted for Trump. So, roughly 1/4th of the voting population actually voted for him.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

frunk

15 years ago no part of my sentence would make sense.  A little more than 11 years ago (prior to Palin's VP candidacy) I wouldn't of understood how a president could be involved in something so dumb.  Now I'm hoping for a day when it sounds as improbable again as it should be.

merithyn

Quote from: frunk on September 03, 2019, 11:03:37 AM

15 years ago no part of my sentence would make sense.  A little more than 11 years ago (prior to Palin's VP candidacy) I wouldn't of understood how a president could be involved in something so dumb.  Now I'm hoping for a day when it sounds as improbable again as it should be.

You're not wrong. :cry:

Tonitrus

How about "Will of the States" (thanks to the EC)?  :P

Solmyr

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 03, 2019, 11:41:58 AM

Triumph of the Will?

merithyn

grumbler

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 03, 2019, 11:41:58 AM

"Will of the States" sounds like one of those HBO shows that got cancelled after one episode.  Though maybe that was "John from Cincinnati."  All I remember for sure was "Somebody of/from Something."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

too bad you ditched the Canadian husband.  It would have been easier to get naturalized after 2020.  By voting here, you'd have the choice of an ultra dumb but charismatic leader or a ultra not charismatic leader of unknown intelligence. :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

merithyn

Quote from: viper37 on September 03, 2019, 01:49:07 PM
too bad you ditched the Canadian husband.  It would have been easier to get naturalized after 2020.  By voting here, you'd have the choice of an ultra dumb but charismatic leader or a ultra not charismatic leader of unknown intelligence. :)

I don't need a Canadian husband to claim asylum. :contract:

Habbaku

Is Canadian asylum really that easy to get?  :hmm:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on September 03, 2019, 02:06:19 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on September 03, 2019, 02:04:40 PM

No.

Just need a sponsor. :whistle:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=606&top=11

QuoteMember of the Country of Asylum Class
A person who is outside their home country or the country where they normally live and is seriously affected by civil war, armed conflict, or a massive violation of human rights.

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on September 03, 2019, 04:22:29 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 03, 2019, 02:06:19 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on September 03, 2019, 02:04:40 PM

No.

Just need a sponsor. :whistle:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=606&top=11

QuoteMember of the Country of Asylum Class
A person who is outside their home country or the country where they normally live and is seriously affected by civil war, armed conflict, or a massive violation of human rights.

And are you "seroiusly affected by a massive violation of your human rights" Meri? :yeahright:

A not insignificant number of Americans have tried this over the years.  The large majority of their refugee claims are denied.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.