What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on September 06, 2019, 10:05:25 AM
I thought Pence was supposed to be the competent one.
Compared to Trump...  Compared to Trump...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on September 06, 2019, 10:05:25 AM
I thought Pence was supposed to be the competent one.

Women sense his power. But he denies them his presence.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Oexmelin

The President of the United States sells memorabilia of his dishonesty.
Que le grand cric me croque !

DGuller

I think all of this is a strategy, even if Trump stumbled into it more than reasoned it out.  Truth doesn't matter, only the reactions of people who care about the truth matter.  It's a gaslighting of sorts, straight out of Russian playbook.
I find it hard to find any part of it amusing, I feel like laughing at it would play into it.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Maladict

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Legbiter

Found the quote I was thinking about.

Quote"Trump thinks that Bolton is a key part of his negotiating strategy," said the same person who described Trump as "touchy" about Bolton. "He thinks that Bolton's bellicosity and eagerness to kill people is a bargaining chip when he's sitting down with foreign leaders. Bolton can be the bad cop and Trump can be the good cop. Trump believes this to his core."

https://www.axios.com/trump-john-bolton-doctrine-iran-venezuela-war-427ca897-aaa1-4e10-a7c9-2a67c1d20354.html
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

The Minsky Moment

There is a logic to that except that it requires the person implementing the strategy to understand the basics of international diplomacy, which Trump doesn't.   It also requires people to believe that people under than Trump have any meaningful influence or authority as against Trump's own views, which no one believes anymore either.  It also makes no sense for Trump to play good cop to Bolton's bad because the other party would just ignore Bolton and appeal directly to Trump via known and accepted means (flattery and complimentary tweets).  It would make a little more sense the other way around, depending on one's willingness to encourage accidental escalation of a conflict, and on the counterfactual that Bolton would be capable of playing good cop (he isn't)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Trump believed that "bad cop/worse cop" messages worked.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!