News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on November 12, 2018, 04:21:47 PM
You have taken it as a question.  It had a question mark.  You answered with another question.  If you'd like to answer my question you can go ahead.  "How would you stop Nazis before they strike?"

I have taken it as a question that changes the subject.

If you can tell me what the original debate was about, and how this relates to it, I will be happy to answer your question.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: grumbler on November 12, 2018, 08:00:09 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 12, 2018, 06:18:54 AM
Same here in most places

Well, South Korea is going to be sensitive about leftist violence....

I meant the US

The police in Korea are realitively toothless.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Zoupa

Quote from: grumbler on November 12, 2018, 05:54:55 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on November 11, 2018, 09:38:20 PM
Quote from: grumbler on November 11, 2018, 08:55:29 PM
You and the trumpeters share the same double standards, and differ only in the fine details.

lol sure grumbler sure. Fascists and anti-fascists are the same  :huh:

lol  Zoupa, you probably didn't get the whole Judean People's Front/People's Front of Judea joke in Life of Brian.

You sheep can tell the other sheep in the herd apart.  To those of us outside your herd, you all look alike.

What a miserable person you must be.

garbon

I don't think I can agree. He seems to derive joy from simple things.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: Solmyr on November 12, 2018, 04:36:10 AM
Rule of law becomes overrated when the law is actively protecting violent Nazis. For example, here in Finland the police tend to preemptively arrest left-wing protesters while actively protecting (riot gear and all) the much more violent Nazi marchers.

I don't get how pre-preemptive arrests are compatible with the rule of law :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on November 11, 2018, 10:18:43 PM

How would you stop Nazis before they strike?

If you're talking about a large, organized group, you identify them as a potentially violent outfit, keep them under surveillance, and try to get informers or undercover cops inside.

If you're talking about violence perpetrated by an individual or a small group (say, under 4 or 5 members), it's nearly impossible to stop them ahead of time if they are bent on committing violent acts.  Doesn't matter if they're Nazis, Commies, Muslim extremists, ordinary criminals, or just sad, lonely high schoolers who decide it would be cool to shoot up their school.

grumbler

Quote from: Zoupa on November 12, 2018, 06:43:15 PM
What a miserable person you must be.

Everybody who thinks thugs are thugs must be a miserable person in your world.  Luckily, I don't live in your world.

Nice ad hom, though.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on November 12, 2018, 07:25:02 PM
Quote from: Solmyr on November 12, 2018, 04:36:10 AM
Rule of law becomes overrated when the law is actively protecting violent Nazis. For example, here in Finland the police tend to preemptively arrest left-wing protesters while actively protecting (riot gear and all) the much more violent Nazi marchers.

I don't get how pre-preemptive arrests are compatible with the rule of law :hmm:

Rule of law is overrated, apparently.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 12, 2018, 09:30:41 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 12, 2018, 06:46:48 PM
I don't think I can agree. He seems to derive joy from simple things.

:D

Indeed.  Compare my misery to the dude who is happy with this thought:
QuoteThat we should sterilize neo-nazis by punching them in the genitals? Yeah sure. That's my opinion. Super realistic. Not a figure of speech or anything.

I would much rather be my tolerant miserable self than the pseudo-fascist "anti-fascist happy guy who advocates torture and claims he is dead serious about it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 12, 2018, 03:51:22 PM
Viper you are mistaken.  The FISA surveillance program targeted calls that included calls with a US citizen participant. US citizens were also detained as "illegal combatants" and denied habeas corpus.  Trump has gone on record supporting this policy even though it was rejected by the Supreme Court.
Oups. Sorry, I was tottaly off the mark on this.

Well, obviously, if Trumps says its ok... Neo nazis should be targeted the same way.  They've proven their danger already.

Not a chance this is going to happen though.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on November 12, 2018, 03:56:17 PM
Yes.  You are mistaken.  Try again.
my post, except the part where I was mistaken about US citizens surveillance and arrest, is still valid though.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

QuoteDonald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

Emmanuel Macron suggests building its own army to protect Europe against the U.S., China and Russia. But it was Germany in World Wars One & Two - How did that work out for France? They were starting to learn German in Paris before the U.S. came along. Pay for NATO or not!

On Trade, France makes excellent wine, but so does the U.S. The problem is that France makes it very hard for the U.S. to sell its wines into France, and charges big Tariffs, whereas the U.S. makes it easy for French wines, and charges very small Tariffs. Not fair, must change!

The problem is that Emmanuel suffers from a very low Approval Rating in France, 26%, and an unemployment rate of almost 10%. He was just trying to get onto another subject. By the way, there is no country more Nationalist than France, very proud people-and rightfully so!........

......MAKE FRANCE GREAT AGAIN!
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on November 12, 2018, 07:25:02 PM
they're walking on thin ice, but even if illegal, sometimes, it's worth it.
You know a protest will be violent.  You know the people who organize it.  You don't have direct evidence they will commit a crime, but your instinct and the history of this group tells you what will happen.
You know they aren't from your city, you know they come from another big city, and from the Facebook posts on their group, you know they only dream of setting fire to the city.
You can not be sure the individuals on the bus are the same people who talked about fire and bombing a Synagogue.  Do you wait until they set fire to the city to arrest them?  Do you wait until they set their bomb in one of the city's Synagogue?  Or do you arrest them as soon as they come out of the bus for illegal gathering, organizing a protest without license, etc, etc?

It might not hold in court.  Maybe the city will even have to pay back some money to the protesters for an illegal arrests.  But there was no vandalism, no bombs, no one hurt.

Was it worth it?

During the last G7, there was an impressive security net.  And a "safe space" for protesters.  A few were arrested before the event, planning to bomb some building.
This is what happenned in 2001 when leftist protesters were "free" to protest:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_qXh1Wf0LU

The Canadian government was sanctionned by some NGO for restricting freedom of expression in 2018, during the G7 summit.  But there were no violent protesters, this time.  A few people went and protested peacefully, carefully watched by an impressive police display (and out of sight military too).

The violent thugs stayed home.  No vandalism to the city, no burning cars or buildings, no broken windows.

It was worth it.

This was 2017:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLB2um6v3pghttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwmnhIH6fS0Antifa action.  Zero condemnation by the mainstream left, btw. But that's another debate.

They tried again later that year.  This time, the police made pre-emptive arrests.  As soon as they got out of the bus, trouble makers were arrested.
No vandalism, no citizen attacked or harassed.

It was worth it.

Is it anti-democratic?  Possibly.  But we have to adapt.  Otherwise, our ennemies will use our weaknesses against us.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on November 13, 2018, 11:26:23 AM
QuoteDonald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

Emmanuel Macron suggests building its own army to protect Europe against the U.S., China and Russia. But it was Germany in World Wars One & Two - How did that work out for France? They were starting to learn German in Paris before the U.S. came along. Pay for NATO or not!

Wait so...isn't building up an army paying for NATO? Is Trump now asking Europe to not build up an army and freeload on the US? Isn't that the opposite of what he asked for before?

And what does WWII have to do with that? The US refused to stay allied with France and guarantee its borders, which the French wanted after WWI so that would be an indicator to NOT rely on the US rather than the opposite. Especially from Mr. 'America-First'.

And then going on as if France sets its own trade policy.

It doesn't even make any sense. What does he want France to do here? I don't even know.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."