News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on November 13, 2018, 11:27:25 AM
Is it anti-democratic?  Possibly.  But we have to adapt.  Otherwise, our ennemies will use our weaknesses against us.

Well I am just going to have to disagree with you there. If somebody is so dangerous they should be locked up then by all means keep your eye on them and lock them up if they do something illegal. But just locking them up 'round up the usual suspects' style? Nope.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on November 13, 2018, 11:27:25 AM
they're walking on thin ice, but even if illegal, sometimes, it's worth it.
You know a protest will be violent.  You know the people who organize it.  You don't have direct evidence they will commit a crime, but your instinct and the history of this group tells you what will happen.
You know they aren't from your city, you know they come from another big city, and from the Facebook posts on their group, you know they only dream of setting fire to the city.
You can not be sure the individuals on the bus are the same people who talked about fire and bombing a Synagogue.  Do you wait until they set fire to the city to arrest them?  Do you wait until they set their bomb in one of the city's Synagogue?  Or do you arrest them as soon as they come out of the bus for illegal gathering, organizing a protest without license, etc, etc?

It might not hold in court.  Maybe the city will even have to pay back some money to the protesters for an illegal arrests.  But there was no vandalism, no bombs, no one hurt.

Was it worth it?

During the last G7, there was an impressive security net.  And a "safe space" for protesters.  A few were arrested before the event, planning to bomb some building.
This is what happenned in 2001 when leftist protesters were "free" to protest:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_qXh1Wf0LU

The Canadian government was sanctionned by some NGO for restricting freedom of expression in 2018, during the G7 summit.  But there were no violent protesters, this time.  A few people went and protested peacefully, carefully watched by an impressive police display (and out of sight military too).

The violent thugs stayed home.  No vandalism to the city, no burning cars or buildings, no broken windows.

It was worth it.

This was 2017:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLB2um6v3pghttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwmnhIH6fS0Antifa action.  Zero condemnation by the mainstream left, btw. But that's another debate.

They tried again later that year.  This time, the police made pre-emptive arrests.  As soon as they got out of the bus, trouble makers were arrested.
No vandalism, no citizen attacked or harassed.

It was worth it.

Is it anti-democratic?  Possibly.  But we have to adapt.  Otherwise, our ennemies will use our weaknesses against us.

So the 2018 G7 summit avoided violence without preemptive arrests, but you advocate preemptive arrests anyway?

Okay.   *backs away slowly*

*turns and runs as fast as possible*
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on November 13, 2018, 11:12:27 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 12, 2018, 03:56:17 PM
Yes.  You are mistaken.  Try again.
my post, except the part where I was mistaken about US citizens surveillance and arrest, is still valid though.

Well, I would treat them as we treat Muslim terrorists.  With a focus on the sources of radicalization and demanding the right-wing community reports signs of militarism and potential terrorism.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

EU tariffs on wine are not very high.  The EU proposed to eliminate almost all tariffs on goods - including wine - in the TTIP negotiations. Trump suspended those negotiations indefinitely.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 13, 2018, 01:10:38 PM
EU tariffs on wine are not very high.  The EU proposed to eliminate almost all tariffs on goods - including wine - in the TTIP negotiations. Trump suspended those negotiations indefinitely.

So he wants them to contribute to NATO but not build an army and reduce tariffs on wine when he himself ended negotiations to reduce tariffs. I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 13, 2018, 01:10:38 PM

Joan, do you know a good resource for finding what tariff levels are on a variety of goods worldwide?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on November 13, 2018, 12:10:46 PM
So the 2018 G7 summit avoided violence without preemptive arrests, but you advocate preemptive arrests anyway?

Okay.   *backs away slowly*

*turns and runs as fast as possible*
there were extraordinary protective measures, with no access to the delegates, far away from where they met.
Canada was condemned for this.  But there was little to no violence.  Dissuasive measures worked.  But it's a little costly.

In the past, preventive arrests worked too.  You know they're likely to commit a crime, you arrest them.  Simple.

If someone arrives to a protest with gaz masks, baseball bats, body armour, american fists, etc, you know they mean trouble.  Do you wait until they beat a passing Jewish person?  An Arab? An evil capitalist?  A Metallica fan?  Someone with a wolf on her shirt?  Or do you act pre-emptively to stop it?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on November 13, 2018, 12:22:48 PM
Well, I would treat them as we treat Muslim terrorists.  With a focus on the sources of radicalization and demanding the right-wing community reports signs of militarism and potential terrorism.
and I would agree with that.  but not beating people up, force sterilizint them, show up at their door steps to intimidate them, harrass them at work, put dead animals in their mailbox, etc, etc.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on November 13, 2018, 01:54:33 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 13, 2018, 12:22:48 PM
and I would agree with that.  but not beating people up, force sterilizint them, show up at their door steps to intimidate them, harrass them at work, put dead animals in their mailbox, etc, etc.

Well, since we can't get the first one, what are we to do?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on November 13, 2018, 01:50:42 PM
there were extraordinary protective measures, with no access to the delegates, far away from where they met.
Canada was condemned for this.  But there was little to no violence.  Dissuasive measures worked.  But it's a little costly.

So proper protective measures short of preemptive arrest works, but let's move against the rule of law anyway?

QuoteIn the past, preventive arrests worked too.  You know they're likely to commit a crime, you arrest them.  Simple.

You "know they're likely to commit a crime" for every person in your country.  That's a bullshit excuse to abandon western values for those of the Middle east.

QuoteIf someone arrives to a protest with gaz masks, baseball bats, body armour, american fists, etc, you know they mean trouble.  Do you wait until they beat a passing Jewish person?  An Arab? An evil capitalist?  A Metallica fan?  Someone with a wolf on her shirt?  Or do you act pre-emptively to stop it?

You make it against the law to show up to a protest with "gaz" masks, baseball bats, body armour, american fists, etc, and then arrest them when they violate the law.  you don't just decide to go all Getsapo on them because you don't like their looks.  Always remember that you could be next.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Soon, Russia will be worried about a fists gap.

Eddie Teach

Russian fists can take more pain, due to alcohol consumption.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on November 13, 2018, 02:14:09 PM
Well, since we can't get the first one, what are we to do?
Thoughts and prayers?

I've said it before.  Staging violent counter protests is counter productive, they look like victims.
Let them do their silly parade, armed to the teeth, with all the cameras on them, and stage some multicultural activity/parade the day after in the same city.