News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on November 11, 2018, 09:58:56 PM
I was really thinking more of the Nazi who shot up the Synagogue.  How would you stop the Nazis?  Stern letters?  Public debates?

Are you asking me how to stop a guy from shooting up a synagogue, or how to stop the Nazi party from rounding up and gassing Jews?

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 11, 2018, 10:04:56 PM
I was really thinking more of the Nazi who shot up the Synagogue.  How would you stop the Nazis?  Stern letters?  Public debates?

Are you asking me how to stop a guy from shooting up a synagogue, or how to stop the Nazi party from rounding up and gassing Jews?

Let's keep it contemporary.  How would you stop Nazis before they strike?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on November 11, 2018, 08:55:29 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on November 11, 2018, 07:41:21 PM
I just dislike thugs on the other side. They are way more numerous, more violent and have caused many, many, many more casualties than antifa.

Well, there's our difference:  I dislike thugs because they are thugs, and you only dislike them because they are not your thugs.  You and the trumpeters share the same double standards, and differ only in the fine details.  If people are looking for where the problem lies in today's politics, I submit your post as evidence.
The people would be well-advised to keep looking then.  Lack of civility on one side is not equivalent to lack of civility on the other side, one was born in response to the other, and neither side's lack of civility was the cause of anything, but merely a symptom.  The cause is right wing's scorched earth tactics at entrenching political hegemony.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on November 11, 2018, 10:18:43 PM

Put on black clothes and carry garbage can lids?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on November 11, 2018, 10:18:43 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 11, 2018, 10:04:56 PM

That's the rub- until they strike, they're law-abiding citizens with the same rights as you and me.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Quote from: Zoupa on November 11, 2018, 05:49:04 PM
That we should sterilize neo-nazis by punching them in the genitals? Yeah sure. That's my opinion. Super realistic. Not a figure of speech or anything.

I'm not sure what you're trying to get me to say. I don't believe in punching first but I also don't believe in turning the other cheek. The Charlotteville volkdeutsch came prepared with weapons and body armor. I was totally fine when the counterprotesters started swinging back, especially since the police were unwilling or ineffective in controlling the marches.

OK so it's a "LOL J/K" thing. I get it.

I also get that many people think that democracy and rule of law are bugs and not features. Which is a position that I don't share, and that I yet mysteriously think should be allowed in society.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Quote from: The Brain on November 12, 2018, 12:21:16 AM
That we should sterilize neo-nazis by punching them in the genitals? Yeah sure. That's my opinion. Super realistic. Not a figure of speech or anything.

I'm not sure what you're trying to get me to say. I don't believe in punching first but I also don't believe in turning the other cheek. The Charlotteville volkdeutsch came prepared with weapons and body armor. I was totally fine when the counterprotesters started swinging back, especially since the police were unwilling or ineffective in controlling the marches.

I also get that many people think that democracy and rule of law are bugs and not features. Which is a position that I don't share, and that I yet mysteriously think should be allowed in society.
To be devil's advocate, there is such a thing as paradox of tolerance.  That is, the tolerance of intolerance can allow the intolerant to destroy tolerance. 

That doesn't necessarily mean that the people you mentioned should be euthanized, but it does suggest that tolerance is not an algorithmic ideology.  You have to make a judgment call about what level of intolerance should not be tolerated, which is necessarily a gray area with all the related vulnerabilities.

Eddie Teach

That call should be made by the law, not the mob.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Zoupa

Quote from: The Brain on November 12, 2018, 12:21:16 AM

Good for you buddy. Your shining orb of respect and tolerance hovers over the rest of us plebes.

DGuller

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 12, 2018, 01:20:18 AM
That call should be made by the law, not the mob.
What if the mob is in charge of the law?

Solmyr

Rule of law becomes overrated when the law is actively protecting violent Nazis. For example, here in Finland the police tend to preemptively arrest left-wing protesters while actively protecting (riot gear and all) the much more violent Nazi marchers.

grumbler

Quote from: Zoupa on November 11, 2018, 09:38:20 PM
Quote from: grumbler on November 11, 2018, 08:55:29 PM
You and the trumpeters share the same double standards, and differ only in the fine details.

lol sure grumbler sure. Fascists and anti-fascists are the same  :huh:

lol  Zoupa, you probably didn't get the whole Judean People's Front/People's Front of Judea joke in Life of Brian.

You sheep can tell the other sheep in the herd apart.  To those of us outside your herd, you all look alike.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on November 11, 2018, 09:46:46 PM
If people were looking for why moderates and centrists tolerated the rise of the Nazis I would submit your post.  This isn't just an off hand snarky comment,  This is a real reason why people tolerated the Nazis.  Ian Kershaw once stated that "The Road to Auschwitz was paved with indifference" and that indifference was bred by people like you making false equivalency arguments.

We have people who openly talk about committing genocide in this country, and as the events of the last few weeks have shown, will actually murder as many people as they can when they get tired of talking about it.  We have people who want to stop them, and finally we have people who equally hostile to both the murderous Nazis and those that try to stop them.

If people were looking for why moderates and centrists tolerated the rise of Stalin I would submit your post.  This isn't just an off hand snarky comment,  This is a real reason why people tolerated Stalin.  Ivan Kershaovich once stated that "The Road to the Gulags was paved with indifference" and that indifference was bred by people like you making false equivalency arguments.

We have people who openly talk about committing genocide in this country, and as the events of the last few weeks have shown, will actually murder as many people as they can when they get tired of talking about it.  We have people who want to stop them, and finally we have people who just want to promote violence and see countering right-wing violence as their excuse.  Stalin and Hitler started as vigilantes, and you want to promote vigilantism.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Solmyr on November 12, 2018, 04:36:10 AM
For example, here in Finland the police tend to preemptively arrest left-wing protesters while actively protecting (riot gear and all) the much more violent Nazi marchers.

Same here in most places
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 12, 2018, 06:18:54 AM
Same here in most places

Well, South Korea is going to be sensitive about leftist violence....

Bayraktar!