Greatest Military Commander Before the Industrial Age

Started by jimmy olsen, September 06, 2016, 02:15:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who was the reatest Military Commander Before the Industrial Age?

Alexander the Great
6 (20%)
Hannibal
2 (6.7%)
Scipio Africanus
0 (0%)
Qin Shi Huang
0 (0%)
Chandragupta Maurya
0 (0%)
Julius Caesar
4 (13.3%)
Belisarius
1 (3.3%)
Khalid the Sword
0 (0%)
Subutai
3 (10%)
Tamerlane
0 (0%)
Yi Sun Shin
1 (3.3%)
Gustavus Adolphus
0 (0%)
Fredrick the Great
2 (6.7%)
Nelson
3 (10%)
Napoleon
8 (26.7%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Voting closed: July 26, 2017, 02:15:55 AM

celedhring

Quote from: Solmyr on September 06, 2016, 04:40:58 AM
What's considered "the Industrial Age"? Nelson and Napoleon could be considered part of it.

Seeing as Tamas is pushing Hungarians I'm going to push a Russian. Alexander Suvorov. It's interesting to speculate what would have happened if he lived long enough to fight Napoleon. Kutuzov was his student and one of the best anti-Napoleon commanders at the time.

Is it me or is he largely forgotten? Given Russian fondness for hyper-nationalistic bruhaha he doesn't seem to be pushed much in the Russian heroic pantheon. Maybe it's because he was never involved in a big existential war like Nappy's invasion or WWII.

Solmyr

Quote from: celedhring on September 06, 2016, 05:13:29 AM
What's considered "the Industrial Age"? Nelson and Napoleon could be considered part of it.

Seeing as Tamas is pushing Hungarians I'm going to push a Russian. Alexander Suvorov. It's interesting to speculate what would have happened if he lived long enough to fight Napoleon. Kutuzov was his student and one of the best anti-Napoleon commanders at the time.

Is it me or is he largely forgotten? Given Russian fondness for hyper-nationalistic bruhaha he doesn't seem to be pushed much in the Russian heroic pantheon. Maybe it's because he was never involved in a big existential war like Nappy's invasion or WWII.

He's still quite well-known and respected in Russia, though as you say not really mentioned much in the nationalistic rhetoric. Though he may have been an ethnic Finn, anyway (but then, plenty of Russian military comanders were not ethnic Russians).

The Larch

Quote from: Solmyr on September 06, 2016, 06:18:08 AM
Quote from: celedhring on September 06, 2016, 05:13:29 AM

He's still quite well-known and respected in Russia, though as you say not really mentioned much in the nationalistic rhetoric. Though he may have been an ethnic Finn, anyway (but then, plenty of Russian military comanders were not ethnic Russians).

I'd say that the fact that he served during the relatively uninteresting 2nd half of the XVIIIth century plays agains his standing in the pantheon of great military leaders. If he had lived longer and been part of the Napoleonic Wars he'd be much better known and appreciated. I mean, which are his best known campaigns or battles? The Italian Campaign of the War of the 2nd coalition against Revolutionary France?

Razgovory

Yeah, I was kind of thinking the same thing.  I mean, they had steam engines and everything.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Solmyr

Quote from: The Larch on September 06, 2016, 06:38:52 AM
I'd say that the fact that he served during the relatively uninteresting 2nd half of the XVIIIth century plays agains his standing in the pantheon of great military leaders. If he had lived longer and been part of the Napoleonic Wars he'd be much better known and appreciated. I mean, which are his best known campaigns or battles? The Italian Campaign of the War of the 2nd coalition against Revolutionary France?

That, and the battles of the Russo-Turkish Wars.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on September 06, 2016, 06:55:49 AM

Yeah, I was kind of thinking the same thing.  I mean, they had steam engines and everything.

No steamships and no railroads involved in the Napoleonic Wars. They were key features in the American Civil War and other conflicts in the 2nd half of19th century . Mass production with interchangeable parts was in its most embryonic form. Given these facts I would bot call the Napoleonic Wars an industrial conflict.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Oh Hell I don't know. The problem with guys like Frederick and Alexander is they got handed top notch military machines and then beat up on clearly inferior opponents.

I think I will go with Caesar. He was going up against the greatest army in the area at the time, other Romans, and always won usually against superior odds.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on September 06, 2016, 06:55:49 AM

Yeah, I kinda figured that the Industrial Age began in Britain sometime in the 1760s, and on the continent around 1800;  even without automated machinery, some manufacturing sectors were running 24 hours by then.

I think it's a bit unbalanced to try to pinpoint the Industrial Revolution, yet sweep all of antiquity under the same canopy to define Best Evah.

So I will go with Eugene of Savoy.  Tough little bastard.

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on September 06, 2016, 07:23:37 AM
Oh Hell I don't know. The problem with guys like Frederick and Alexander is they got handed top notch military machines and then beat up on clearly inferior opponents.

I think I will go with Caesar. He was going up against the greatest army in the area at the time, other Romans, and always won usually against superior odds.

Gustavus Adolphus inherited a crap army (had been crushed by Poles FFS) and had to create a great army. Caesar's was a product of that famously inept military machine Republican Rome. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: The Brain on September 06, 2016, 08:10:38 AM

Gustavus Adolphus inherited a crap army (had been crushed by Poles FFS) and had to create a great army. Caesar's was a product of that famously inept military machine Republican Rome. :)

He also inherited a crap country.  Left one as well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Larch

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 06, 2016, 07:43:42 AMI think it's a bit unbalanced to try to pinpoint the Industrial Revolution, yet sweep all of antiquity under the same canopy to define Best Evah.

We could do a tournament and make brackets for each time period. Say, Classical Era - Late Antiquity/Early Middle Age - High/Late Middle Age - Renaissance/Early Modern. Who's the #1 seed for each bracket?

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on September 06, 2016, 08:39:04 AM
Quote from: The Brain on September 06, 2016, 08:10:38 AM

He also inherited a crap country.  Left one as well.

:(
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

Admiral Yi - great leader hobbled by a devastating gambling addiction.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson