A flawed but well meaning individual
18 (42.9%)
A deeply troubled victim of her superstitions and prejudices
11 (26.2%)
An evil fraud
4 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Martinus

What scares me most about Hitchens is that I recently realised how much I am beginning to resemble him, in terms of hairdo (the parted, side weave pre-cancer one), corpulence and choice of jackets.  :(

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on September 10, 2016, 12:12:16 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 10, 2016, 12:06:52 PM
I think it goes deeper.  She fucks up the whole "religion is evil", idea promoted by people like Hitchens.  She must be presented as a monster because otherwise the whole philosophy unravels.

I hardly think Hitchens required every single religious person be evil. Granted he is not around to ask anymore.

Not every person, but if you are staking everything on "religion is evil", (and toward the end of his career, he was), than people doing good works in the name of a religion is a problem.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tonitrus

The Brain

Quote from: The Larch on September 10, 2016, 06:17:13 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 09, 2016, 11:35:48 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 09, 2016, 11:31:12 PM
Damn that is one Eastern European looking person.

I read somewhere she was born in the Ottoman Empire.

From Wiki:

QuoteBorn    Anjezë Gonxhe Bojaxhiu
26 August 1910
Üsküp, Kosovo Vilayet, Ottoman Empire
(modern Skopje, Republic of Macedonia)

She was ethnically Albanian. You guys seem surprised by this, I thought it was pretty well established.

Fuck me. I thought she was from Albany.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

I thought she was from Alabama.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 10, 2016, 02:44:03 PM
You see that?  grumbler went Hitchens there.

??
He didn't drink even a single dram
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on September 11, 2016, 05:48:13 AM
I thought she was from Alabama.

Well now hold on. I said she was from a poor country not a total shit hole.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."