A flawed but well meaning individual
18 (42.9%)
A deeply troubled victim of her superstitions and prejudices
11 (26.2%)
An evil fraud
4 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 41

CountDeMoney

:lol: The woman was a member of one of the hardest of the hardcore orders for poverty, working with people that would make Languishites vomit, and she catches shit because she was a pro-lifer nun that didn't believe in contraception?  Guess what: so did that whole side of the fucking planet she worked in. 1 Billion Slurpees Served. 

And really: Hitchens? King of the Self-Preening Peacocks himself? The guy who could only wish he was Chinese finger-cuffed by Buckley and Vidal?

I know have my buttons that get me torqued, but man, what a bunch of over-the-top cynical cunts :lol:  A nun.  A dead nun. 

grumbler

Quote from: Ancient Demon on September 08, 2016, 06:51:14 PM
Quote from: grumbler on September 08, 2016, 05:16:39 AM
Quote from: Ancient Demon on September 08, 2016, 12:27:10 AM
Yep, just another religious hypocrite. Suffering is only good when it happens to other people.

I've never seen anything from her that would indicate that she didn't feel that her own suffering was not good for her.  It seems to that you are reaching the  conclusions you want to reach.

We all reach the conclusions we want to reach.

Project much?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on September 08, 2016, 11:07:48 AM
Quote from: viper37 on September 08, 2016, 10:43:50 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 08, 2016, 12:19:43 AM
I guess the simple test is to ask if the world would have been a better place if she had not existed.

If the answer is no, then your answer on the poll falls somewhere between 1 and 2.

If the answer is yes, then your answer on the poll falls somewhere between 3 and 4.

The world would not have been better nor worst without her.  Somebody else would have taken her place somewhere else in the world.

Who?
was she the only missionary in the world?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on September 08, 2016, 07:49:05 PM
Quote from: Martinus on September 08, 2016, 10:55:52 AM
Viper is right. If Mother Theresa wasn't a nun, half of this board would support her candidacy for the next POTUS.

Pretty sure nuns are allowed to run for office.
a Catholic President? When was the last? JFK?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

The last to run was John Kerry.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

There is nothing inherently wrong with a missionary position.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

garbon

My beloved extended his hand through the opening, And my feelings were aroused for him.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

DGuller

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 09, 2016, 10:41:12 AM
I now have a mental picture in my head I desperately need to get rid of.  :Embarrass:

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on September 09, 2016, 01:25:05 PM
I now have a mental picture in my head I desperately need to get rid of.  :Embarrass:

Aww. Sex isn't that bad, sweetie. :hug:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

Why do we only see pictures of super old Mother Teresa? She was young once, right?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on September 09, 2016, 09:37:06 PM

Why do we only see pictures of super old Mother Teresa? She was young once, right?

There you go.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Damn that is one Eastern European looking person.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on September 09, 2016, 11:31:12 PM
Damn that is one Eastern European looking person.

I read somewhere she was born in the Ottoman Empire.