A flawed but well meaning individual
18 (42.9%)
A deeply troubled victim of her superstitions and prejudices
11 (26.2%)
An evil fraud
4 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 41

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

DGuller

Every charity has a limited budget, so you have to spend it on things that give the biggest bang for the buck.  Material wealth doesn't last, but helping people make the right choice when it comes to religion has eternal benefits.

Ancient Demon

I agree with the haters, and find it difficult to have sympathy for anyone who believes that poverty and suffering are beautiful.
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

Scipio

Quote from: Ancient Demon on September 07, 2016, 08:59:25 PM
I agree with the haters, and find it difficult to have sympathy for anyone who believes that poverty and suffering are beautiful.
The question is not are poverty and suffering beautiful qua themselves, but if they have meaning, and are thus beautiful. To a secularist, no suffering or poverty has meaning. And that is the conundrum of Mother Theresa, because in the orthodox Christian world, suffering and poverty have meaning and worth and are beautiful.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Scipio

But honestly, the same people who hate Mother Theresa hate Pius XII because he was Hitler's Pope, a demonstrably false canard.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Razgovory

Quote from: Scipio on September 07, 2016, 09:10:59 PM
But honestly, the same people who hate Mother Theresa hate Pius XII because he was Hitler's Pope, a demonstrably false canard.

Well, they hate all Popes.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Scipio on September 07, 2016, 09:10:19 PM
And that is the conundrum of Mother Theresa, because in the orthodox Christian world, suffering and poverty have meaning and worth and are beautiful.

The question, then, is why did she herself try so hard to avoid her own suffering?  She refused palliative care for her patients while seeking the same for herself at the end of her life.

HVC

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on September 07, 2016, 11:58:38 PM
And that is the conundrum of Mother Theresa, because in the orthodox Christian world, suffering and poverty have meaning and worth and are beautiful.

The question, then, is why did she herself try so hard to avoid her own suffering?  She refused palliative care for her patients while seeking the same for herself at the end of her life.
same reason politicians get caught with hookers, it's easier to tell other people how to live the. Do it yourself, even if you fully believe in your words. Hypocrisy and self interest are funny little human quirks.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

CountDeMoney

Because she can't continue her Good Works if she's dead.

Martinus

I guess the simple test is to ask if the world would have been a better place if she had not existed.

If the answer is no, then your answer on the poll falls somewhere between 1 and 2.

If the answer is yes, then your answer on the poll falls somewhere between 3 and 4.

Ancient Demon

Yep, just another religious hypocrite. Suffering is only good when it happens to other people.
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

garbon

Quote from: Ancient Demon on September 08, 2016, 12:27:10 AM

Yep, just another religious hypocrite. Suffering is only good when it happens to other people.

Seems a bit strange to lay your hat on that. So had she only sought out same care (or no care) as her patients, then she'd be totally okay because she was consistent?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Had to vote a living saint. I don't know if Mart included poll answer 1 as a joke, but it is somewhat useless. Being a saint means being a religious fanatic with values different from ordinary folks, and there's also an explicit list of saints (slight simplification).
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: Ancient Demon on September 08, 2016, 12:27:10 AM

I've never seen anything from her that would indicate that she didn't feel that her own suffering was not good for her.  It seems to that you are reaching the  conclusions you want to reach.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

lustindarkness

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 08, 2016, 12:19:13 AM

Because she can't continue her Good Works if she's dead.

But... she did.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom