Greatest Military Commander Before the Industrial Age

Started by jimmy olsen, September 06, 2016, 02:15:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who was the reatest Military Commander Before the Industrial Age?

Alexander the Great
6 (20%)
Hannibal
2 (6.7%)
Scipio Africanus
0 (0%)
Qin Shi Huang
0 (0%)
Chandragupta Maurya
0 (0%)
Julius Caesar
4 (13.3%)
Belisarius
1 (3.3%)
Khalid the Sword
0 (0%)
Subutai
3 (10%)
Tamerlane
0 (0%)
Yi Sun Shin
1 (3.3%)
Gustavus Adolphus
0 (0%)
Fredrick the Great
2 (6.7%)
Nelson
3 (10%)
Napoleon
8 (26.7%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Voting closed: July 26, 2017, 02:15:55 AM

jimmy olsen

Now, I'm sure to get bitched out for leaving X_historical figure off the list, or putting Y_historical figure on it, but that's half the fun.

Tried to make it not so Eurocentric, but I'm sure I missed some worthy Eastern contenders.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Hamilcar

Yi Sun-Shin probably faced the worst odds and the most interference by the royal government.

celedhring

I'll go with sheer amount of territory conquered/devastated and vote for Subutai. I'm aware it's by no means the best metric but it's really hard to compare those.

Zanza

Tamas

In terms of historical impact it's hard to argue against Alexander.

In terms of doing very well when the odds are clearly stacked against you, I nominate Janos Hunyadi. The country he was protecting was way too divided and decentralised to be willing to put up a united front, so he never had the full backing which MIGHT had given him a chance, yet he inflicted defeat after defeat on the Ottomans, culminating in his successful defense of Belgrade.

He had bought Hungary a generation worth of time, it was not his fault the aristocracy refused to use it.

http://www.badassoftheweek.com/hunyadi.html

celedhring

Also, not sure what Nelson is doing in that list tbf. And no, it's not sour grapes  :lol:

He has probably just two? major victories under his belt, one of which he didn't survive. Heck, I'd rate Wellington above him in overall performance during the Napoleonic wars.

HVC

Quote from: Tamas on September 06, 2016, 03:41:24 AM

In terms of doing very well when the odds are clearly stacked against you, I nominate Janos Hunyadi. The country he was protecting was way too divided and decentralised to be willing to put up a united front, so he never had the full backing which MIGHT had given him a chance, yet he inflicted defeat after defeat on the Ottomans, culminating in his successful defense of Belgrade.

He had bought Hungary a generation worth of time, it was not his fault the aristocracy refused to use it.

wasnt his father Serbian? Too black a mark, I'm afraid.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Tonitrus

Quote from: celedhring on September 06, 2016, 03:59:15 AM
Also, not sure what Nelson is doing in that list tbf. And no, it's not sour grapes  :lol:

He has probably just two? major victories under his belt, one of which he didn't survive. Heck, I'd rate Wellington above him in overall performance during the Napoleonic wars.

Maybe true.  Drake vs. the Armada was likely more of a key victory.  :P

Tamas

Quote from: HVC on September 06, 2016, 04:08:47 AM

As the badass article mentions, it's not certain :P As with several historical figures who were born in the territory of Hungary and fought/contributed to the Hungarian state/culture, he is claimed by at least one other nationalities from within the old border.

jimmy olsen

The Nile, Copenhagen, & Trafalgar

Thought the navy deserved some recognition on the list, so I picked him and Yi. Who would you have picked instead?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

HVC

Quote from: Tamas on September 06, 2016, 04:11:09 AM
Quote from: HVC on September 06, 2016, 04:08:47 AM

As the badass article mentions, it's not certain :P As with several historical figures who were born in the territory of Hungary and fought/contributed to the Hungarian state/culture, he is claimed by at least one other nationalities from within the old border.

can't take the chance, sorry :console:

Although Hungary does have an interesting history. I remember going on a binge a few years ago and reading as much as I could.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

celedhring

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 06, 2016, 04:12:22 AM

The Nile, Copenhagen, & Trafalgar

Thought the navy deserved some recognition on the list, so I picked him and Yi. Who would you have picked instead?

Yi belongs on that list without discussion. I'd say Barbarossa. Massively successful as both a raider and in winning pitched battles with odds stacked against him. Made the Ottomans dominant in the Med for the better half of the XVIth century.

Solmyr

What's considered "the Industrial Age"? Nelson and Napoleon could be considered part of it.

Seeing as Tamas is pushing Hungarians I'm going to push a Russian. Alexander Suvorov. It's interesting to speculate what would have happened if he lived long enough to fight Napoleon. Kutuzov was his student and one of the best anti-Napoleon commanders at the time.

Josquius

Nelson didn't need more victories when the big one was so decisive.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: Tyr on September 06, 2016, 04:42:44 AM
Nelson didn't need more victories when the big one was so decisive.

Meh, if "one big decisive battle" is enough, others won bigger victories than Trafalgar. Spruance probably won the Pacific War by himself at Midway.

Anyhow, the Navy languishites will probably know better than me.