Greatest Military Commander Before the Industrial Age

Started by jimmy olsen, September 06, 2016, 02:15:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who was the reatest Military Commander Before the Industrial Age?

Alexander the Great
6 (20%)
Hannibal
2 (6.7%)
Scipio Africanus
0 (0%)
Qin Shi Huang
0 (0%)
Chandragupta Maurya
0 (0%)
Julius Caesar
4 (13.3%)
Belisarius
1 (3.3%)
Khalid the Sword
0 (0%)
Subutai
3 (10%)
Tamerlane
0 (0%)
Yi Sun Shin
1 (3.3%)
Gustavus Adolphus
0 (0%)
Fredrick the Great
2 (6.7%)
Nelson
3 (10%)
Napoleon
8 (26.7%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Voting closed: July 26, 2017, 02:15:55 AM

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 07, 2016, 04:17:15 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 06, 2016, 08:48:53 PM
Quote from: mongers on September 06, 2016, 08:41:45 PM
What About Greatest Industrial Nation Before Napoleon?   :bowler:  :frog:

Egypt.

India

India might be in the competition, but I recall Paul Kennedy making a pretty good case that it was China, in The Rise and Fall...
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

It could go either way but I think "India" has a higher share of industrial output by the 18th century, driven by the textile industry.  In a relative sense, Chinese industry under the Song may have been more impressive, but in absolute terms 18th century India probably wins out.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

PJL

But 18th century wasn't a unified country, but China was at that time. So China wins.

Admiral Yi

Someone dissed Alex for not building his own army from scratch, but looking through the list I don't see anyone who did.

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 08, 2016, 01:36:01 PM
Someone dissed Alex for not building his own army from scratch, but looking through the list I don't see anyone who did.

From absolute zero? No. From crap? Yes.

grumbler

The French Army under napoleon looked much different than it looked before him:  permanent corps level organization (the first anywhere), regularized unit strength, centralized artillery and cavalry, combinations of light and line infantry all the way from corps level to battalion level, a regular replacement and training system, rational military schools, permanent regulations, and more.  His was probably the first thoroughly-thought-out national army organization.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on September 08, 2016, 02:27:34 PM

The French Army under napoleon looked much different than it looked before him:  permanent corps level organization (the first anywhere), regularized unit strength, centralized artillery and cavalry, combinations of light and line infantry all the way from corps level to battalion level, a regular replacement and training system, rational military schools, permanent regulations, and more.  His was probably the first thoroughly-thought-out national army organization.

In France?

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on September 08, 2016, 02:37:08 PM

In France?

Yes, this happened in France.

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on September 08, 2016, 03:13:33 PM

In France?

OK. I'm not an expert on French army organization under the monarchy.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: grumbler on September 08, 2016, 03:13:33 PM

In France?

And all across the continent, even in Russia for a little while.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?