News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Attack in Nice on July 14th

Started by Duque de Bragança, July 14, 2016, 05:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

So they beheaded an 86 year old priest and a nun is fighting for her life.

France needs to take out the trash.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

viper37

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 26, 2016, 07:13:09 AM
Quote from: Malicious Intent on July 26, 2016, 07:08:08 AM
I vaguely heard on radio that one of the attackers was already on a terror watch list. Any info on that?

One of the perpetrators was under a probation regime called "bracelet électronique" i.e electronic home arrest.

QuoteUn des assaillants sous bracelet électronique ?
Un des deux assaillants est en cours d'identification, indique au Figaro une source proche du dossier. Si son identité se confirme, il ne s'agirait pas d'un fiché «S» mais d'un «velléitaire du djihad» refoulé par les autorités turques.
Incarcéré en 2015, il aurait été placé sous bracelet électronique en mars 2016 comme alternative à l'incarcération. Le parquet antiterroriste de Paris avait alors fait appel de cette ordonnance de placement sans obtenir gain de cause.
Depuis lors, ce djihadiste présumé était semble-t-il incarcéré chez lui.

According to Le Figaro, mainstream conservative daily:
The Paris anti-terrorist prosecution unit appealed against it but was overruled.
why was he freed if he was a suspect of terrorism?  why not deported?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

derspiess

Just now reading about this church attack.  Was it Amish who again did this?  Militant Unitarians?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on July 26, 2016, 10:20:38 AM
Just now reading about this church attack.  Was it Amish who again did this?  Militant Unitarians?

We moderate Unitarians would never stand for it :angry:

I am amazed they would kill a Priest. Even beheaded him Saint Denis style. Churches have not been a target of these sorts of attacks before, at least not in the West. Obviously the Eastern churches get pounded all the time.

Quotewhy was he freed if he was a suspect of terrorism?  why not deported?

Yeah there are some interesting policy questions around this.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Richard Hakluyt

Probably a French citizen, therefore cannot deport, also insufficient evidence therefore cannot imprison.

Malicious Intent

Quote from: Valmy on July 26, 2016, 10:31:40 AM
I am amazed they would kill a Priest. Even beheaded him Saint Denis style. Churches have not been a target of these sorts of attacks before, at least not in the West. Obviously the Eastern churches get pounded all the time.

That's IS for you. They make AQ look like hippies.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Malicious Intent on July 26, 2016, 11:50:56 AM

AQ still pays a least some lip service to Islam (the actual religion).
IS are just tribalist degenerates using Islam as brand.  Hence their welcome of all the murderous pork-eating alcoholics who pledge allegiance.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on July 26, 2016, 10:12:39 AM

I don't think anywhere in the West deports "suspects".

Usually, they have to be convicted of something before any steps are taken against them. Even then, if they are citizens, you can't deport them - you jail them if they are guilty.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

grumbler

He was suspected of trying to go to Syria to fight for ISIS.  He can't be deported from France to France (he's French).  Presumably, the law does not yet allow for the imprisonment of people who the authorities suspect of trying to go to Syria, or else he was on bail awaiting some sort of process.

Clearly, though, the monitoring didn't go far enough.  He was on a monitoring bracelet, but the court allowed him mornings off to plot and carry out terrorism.  He had to be home by 1230, though.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on July 26, 2016, 01:03:24 PM

He was suspected of trying to go to Syria to fight for ISIS.  He can't be deported from France to France (he's French).  Presumably, the law does not yet allow for the imprisonment of people who the authorities suspect of trying to go to Syria, or else he was on bail awaiting some sort of process.

Clearly, though, the monitoring didn't go far enough.  He was on a monitoring bracelet, but the court allowed him mornings off to plot and carry out terrorism.  He had to be home by 1230, though.

That is early.

"You can stay out long enough for the Crusades, but I want you back home before the Mongols get to Baghdad."
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Duque de Bragança

One of the assailants has been formally identified

QuoteCet homme, connu des services antiterroristes, avait tenté de rallier la Syrie par deux fois en 2015. Il avait été mis en examen pour association de malfaiteurs en lien avec une entreprise terroriste et placé en détention provisoire, puis libéré sous bracelet électronique.

Known from French counter-terrorist services, tried to go to Syria twice in 2015, accused of criminal association (conspiracy) in relation with a terrorist enterprise, then put into provisional custody. For some reason, later on electronic home arrest.  :hmm: There seems to be a pattern involving laxism and bleeding hearts.

alfred russel

They should have let him go to Syria. Kept an eye on him, seen who is hanging with over there. Mentioned it to their Uncle Sam, who could have a drone pay them a visit and solve a bunch of problems at once.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on July 26, 2016, 12:59:20 PM

I don't think anywhere in the West deports "suspects".

Usually, they have to be convicted of something before any steps are taken against them. Even then, if they are citizens, you can't deport them - you jail them if they are guilty.
he is a refugee, not a citizen.  He applies for citizenship, he is refused citizenship.  Why keep him in France, given the accusation of terrorism?

ok, French citizen, I missed that part.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on July 26, 2016, 01:03:24 PM

ah, I thought he was a refugee.  I did not read he was a French citizen.  That explains it, then.

Queequeg

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 26, 2016, 12:54:10 PM
Quote from: Malicious Intent on July 26, 2016, 11:50:56 AM

AQ still pays a least some lip service to Islam (the actual religion).
IS are just tribalist degenerates using Islam as brand.  Hence their welcome of all the murderous pork-eating alcoholics who pledge allegiance.

They are different organizations and who they attract are different.  This is No True Scotsman garbage. Albanians and Bosniaks would eat pork and drink rakija and crucify Serbian or Greek rebels whenever they got uppity.  The great Sufis were alcoholics and pedaphiles.  The fact that sinning can lead to guilt which informs faith should not be new information, nor should the fact that Islamic fanaticism around the periphery of the Islamic world is the norm rather than the exception.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."