News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Attack in Nice on July 14th

Started by Duque de Bragança, July 14, 2016, 05:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Solmyr on July 19, 2016, 01:50:35 PM
It also doesn't help that any random cockwomble can shout "Allahu Akbar" and Daesh immediately claims credit for it. My point being, we should be treating these people as random cockwombles instead of seeing a Vast Jihadist Conspiracy in everything.

Is it because he's brown that you deny him the right to define his own cause?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/26/men-hostages-french-church-police-normandy-saint-etienne-du-rouvray

Another novelty, hostage taking in a church. Can't remember when it happened for the last time.

QuoteTwo men 'neutralised' after taking hostages in Normandy church – French media
Police say four to six people held hostage by men armed with knives in Saint-Étienne-du-Rouvray, northern France (near Rouen).

Two men who took hostages in a church in France's northern Normandy region have been "neutralised", according to French media reports.

The men, armed with knives, had taken several people hostage in a church in Saint-Étienne-du-Rouvray, police told Reuters.

French media reported that five hostages were being held, and that a sixth escaped and raised the alarm. A priest, two nuns and two worshippers were reported to be among the hostages.

Firefighters told RTL that several people had been injured.

Still not sure if the hostage takers were caught alive or killed. Some French media plus the BBC say so. Priest was confirmed as killed.

Malicious Intent

BBC reports that the priest was killed.

Duque de Bragança

The hostage killers are now confirmed as killed. Church was already targeted before in a failed terror attack by Sid Ahmed Ghlam.

QuoteSid Ahmed Ghlam était déjà soupçonné d'avoir voulu prendre cette église pour cible
Sid Ahmed Ghlam avait déjà été soupçonné d'avoir voulu prendre pour cible l'église de Saint-Etienne-du-Rouvray, en plus d'autres lieux de culte catholiques de région parisienne. Son projet avait échoué, et l'étudiant algérien de 24 ans avait été arrêté après avoir tué sur son passage une professeure de fitness, Aurélie Châtelain.

http://www.lefigaro.fr/actualite-france/2016/07/26/01016-20160726LIVWWW00086-prise-d-otage-en-cours-dans-une-eglise-de-saint-etienne-du-rouvray-pres-de-rouen.php

Archy

One of the hostage takers was confimed to wear a beard according to our newspaper.
Damn this terrorism by latte sipping hipsters is going to far  :mad: ;) :(

Lettow77

Taking the violence into a church and murdering a priest is especially heinous. Reading about this was a flash of anger in an otherwise peaceful day.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

mongers

Quote from: Lettow77 on July 26, 2016, 05:59:12 AM
Taking the violence into a church and murdering a priest is especially heinous. Reading about this was a flash of anger in an otherwise peaceful day.

Indeed.

Lettow, how are you and your getting on? :cheers:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Lettow77

Meaning no disrespect to the tragedy being discussed here by answering your question, life has been very good. Everything proceeds pleasantly and I drink a lot of tea every day. My wife is beautiful and my son is a blessing.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Maladict

Quote from: Lettow77 on July 26, 2016, 06:26:14 AM
Meaning no disrespect to the tragedy being discussed here by answering your question, life has been very good. Everything proceeds pleasantly and I drink a lot of tea every day. My wife is beautiful and my son is a blessing.

:thumbsup:

mongers

Quote from: Lettow77 on July 26, 2016, 06:26:14 AM

Lettow, really pleased to hear things are going swimmingly.   :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Duque de Bragança

So, just in case somebody had doubts, the terrorists pledged allegiance to Daesh, according to Hollande. Sorry, not militant atheists, not buddhists, not Jews, not vegans, this time.

Malicious Intent

I vaguely heard on radio that one of the attackers was already on a terror watch list. Any info on that?

Richard Hakluyt

I think the state of emergency may have proved its worth here, looks like a prompt response in this minor provincial town may have saved lives.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Malicious Intent on July 26, 2016, 07:08:08 AM
I vaguely heard on radio that one of the attackers was already on a terror watch list. Any info on that?

One of the perpetrators was under a probation regime called "bracelet électronique" i.e electronic home arrest.

QuoteUn des assaillants sous bracelet électronique ?
Un des deux assaillants est en cours d'identification, indique au Figaro une source proche du dossier. Si son identité se confirme, il ne s'agirait pas d'un fiché «S» mais d'un «velléitaire du djihad» refoulé par les autorités turques.
Incarcéré en 2015, il aurait été placé sous bracelet électronique en mars 2016 comme alternative à l'incarcération. Le parquet antiterroriste de Paris avait alors fait appel de cette ordonnance de placement sans obtenir gain de cause.
Depuis lors, ce djihadiste présumé était semble-t-il incarcéré chez lui.

According to Le Figaro, mainstream conservative daily:
The Paris anti-terrorist prosecution unit appealed against it but was overruled.

Archy

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 26, 2016, 07:02:30 AM
So, just in case somebody had doubts, the terrorists pledged allegiance to Daesh, according to Hollande. Sorry, not militant atheists, not buddhists, not Jews, not vegans, this time.
Drats they fooled me again at first  :mad: