News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Attack in Nice on July 14th

Started by Duque de Bragança, July 14, 2016, 05:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malicious Intent

Thankfully only 4 injured and no deaths.

Legbiter

Quote from: Malicious Intent on July 18, 2016, 06:01:25 PM

QuoteAn axe-man who stormed a passenger train and hacked at terrified passengers while shouting "Allahu Akbar" has been identified as a 17-year-old Afghan who entered Germany as a lone refugee.

...His motive has not yet been revealed, with police refusing to comment on whether or not it was a terrorist attack.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/germany-train-axe-attack-afghan-8445784

Indeed, his motive may never be known to us.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Malicious Intent

Quote from: Legbiter on July 18, 2016, 06:10:13 PM

QuoteAn axe-man who stormed a passenger train and hacked at terrified passengers while shouting "Allahu Akbar" has been identified as a 17-year-old Afghan who entered Germany as a lone refugee.

...His motive has not yet been revealed, with police refusing to comment on whether or not it was a terrorist attack.

It's called professionalism. As a policeman you don't speculate publicly before the investigation has even started.

Valmy

I don't know man. If somebody is running around a bank screaming 'empty the vault! Fill these bags with 100 Euro Bank notes!' nobody will comment on the motive for what is going on? 'The police refuse to comment if this was a bank robbery'
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on July 18, 2016, 08:46:19 PM
I don't know man. If somebody is running around a bank screaming 'empty the vault! Fill these bags with 100 Euro Bank notes!' nobody will comment on the motive for what is going on? 'The police refuse to comment if this was a bank robbery'

The Bank robber is clearly an American here, otherwise he'd be demanding 500 Euro notes.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 18, 2016, 10:48:29 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 18, 2016, 08:46:19 PM

The Bank robber is clearly an American here, otherwise he'd be demanding 500 Euro notes.

I just figured the majority of the notes would be of smaller denominations.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on July 18, 2016, 05:17:29 PM
Along with the floral and other tributes on the sites where people died, the French are marking the spot where the murder died, with rubbish and some passers-by stop to spit.

BTW this is awesome. A very French response.

Berkut

It's difficult to know what motivated him, but we can be certain at least about what did not - religion had no role in this attack. Of course.

He could just as likely been a Buddhist, or god forbid a Christian Democrat.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on July 18, 2016, 05:17:29 PM
Along with the floral and other tributes on the sites where people died, the French are marking the spot where the murder died, with rubbish and some passers-by stop to spit.

One last tidbit of info.
Lache painted on the ground means coward.

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 19, 2016, 08:57:41 AM

One last tidbit of info.

Thanks for that, I couldn't quit make out what it said.

There are other equally fitting photos of people spitting on the pile of rubbish.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on July 19, 2016, 08:59:49 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 19, 2016, 08:57:41 AM

One last tidbit of info.

Thanks for that, I couldn't quit make out what it said.

Me too, was having a hell of a time trying to figure out what Nick Lachey had to do with any of this.  So was Nick.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Berkut on July 19, 2016, 08:38:29 AM
It's difficult to know what motivated him, but we can be certain at least about what did not - religion had no role in this attack. Of course.

Could easily have been a Return of the Jedi fan - "admiral" is hard for a native Afghan to pronounce correctly.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malicious Intent

Quote from: Berkut on July 19, 2016, 08:38:29 AM

Just to clarify my own viewpoint: I do believe that this was a religiously motivated Islamist attack. But while we here can speculate and freely state our opinions without consequence, it's a lot more difficult for officials.
See the Munich stabbings in May for example. People back then here on the forum ridiculed the German police for not saying that they suspected an Islamist attack, even though the attacker had shouted "Allahu Akbar". As it later turned out, the attacker was a drug addict, mentally completely unstable and no muslim.

Solmyr

It also doesn't help that any random cockwomble can shout "Allahu Akbar" and Daesh immediately claims credit for it. My point being, we should be treating these people as random cockwombles instead of seeing a Vast Jihadist Conspiracy in everything.

The Minsky Moment

It's radical Islamic terrorism Solmyr.

There see now we've called it what it is.  Problem solved, sleep soundly now.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson