News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Attack in Nice on July 14th

Started by Duque de Bragança, July 14, 2016, 05:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Queequeg on July 26, 2016, 03:09:41 PM
They are different organizations and who they attract are different.  This is No True Scotsman garbage. Albanians and Bosniaks would eat pork and drink rakija and crucify Serbian or Greek rebels whenever they got uppity.  The great Sufis were alcoholics and pedaphiles.  The fact that sinning can lead to guilt which informs faith should not be new information, nor should the fact that Islamic fanaticism around the periphery of the Islamic world is the norm rather than the exception.

I have no idea what (if anything) you are trying to argue here, but I would note that Islamic fanaticism isn't found at the periphery of Islam, but at its heart.  Mecca is located in a country that executes gays, stones rape victims, and chops off the hands of thieves.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Er, not being nice isn't true Islam.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Legbiter

Quote from: The Brain on July 26, 2016, 03:28:24 PM

Exactly, Islam has nothing to do with Islam.  :contract:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Queequeg

Quote from: grumbler on July 26, 2016, 03:25:49 PM
They are different organizations and who they attract are different.  This is No True Scotsman garbage. Albanians and Bosniaks would eat pork and drink rakija and crucify Serbian or Greek rebels whenever they got uppity.  The great Sufis were alcoholics and pedaphiles.  The fact that sinning can lead to guilt which informs faith should not be new information, nor should the fact that Islamic fanaticism around the periphery of the Islamic world is the norm rather than the exception.

I have no idea what (if anything) you are trying to argue here, but I would note that Islamic fanaticism isn't found at the periphery of Islam, but at its heart.  Mecca is located in a country that executes gays, stones rape victims, and chops off the hands of thieves.
Boko Haram, Sudan, Chechnya, Mindanao, the Berbers in Mali, Pakistan.....I'd argue that it's simultaneusly strongest in the center and the periphery.  You can get away with being a lax Muslim in, say, Algeria, but in Northern Nigeria or Chechnya you really can't.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

The Minsky Moment

Albanians and Bosniaks would eat pork and drink rakija and crucify Serbian or Greek rebels whenever they got uppity. 

And Serbs and Greeks would do much the same to Albanians and Bosniaks, as well as to each other.  So what's your point?  Islam is a belief system.   Being Scottish isn't a belief system one joins voluntarily by pinching pennies and eating revolting sheep gizzards.

I think it's pertinent to point out that IS attracts the "allegiance" (sometimes ex post) of a significant number of people with no discernible religious background or inclinations and that it advocates conduct contrary to the Quran or any known Sunni sharia school.  At least if you believe that one should understand a phenomenon if one wants to combat it effectively.  As opposed to grind some political axe.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: Legbiter on July 26, 2016, 03:35:52 PM
Quote from: The Brain on July 26, 2016, 03:28:24 PM

Exactly, Islam has nothing to do with Islam.  :contract:

Smells like straw around here.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Queequeg on July 26, 2016, 03:47:01 PM
Boko Haram, Sudan, Chechnya, Mindanao, the Berbers in Mali, Pakistan.....I'd argue that it's simultaneusly strongest in the center and the periphery. 

Yes and also in between: Syria, Lebanon, Iran, Libya, Tunisia, Pakistan (not periphery . . .)
So it is strongest everywhere and weakest everywhere. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

The fact that ex-baathists appear to be in key positions of authority in Daesh is also revealing.
--Joan Robinson

Legbiter

Quote from: grumbler on July 26, 2016, 03:47:37 PMSmells like straw around here.

Just bantering with the Brain. Not aimed at anyone.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

The Brain

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 26, 2016, 03:47:27 PM
Albanians and Bosniaks would eat pork and drink rakija and crucify Serbian or Greek rebels whenever they got uppity. 

And Serbs and Greeks would do much the same to Albanians and Bosniaks, as well as to each other.  So what's your point?  Islam is a belief system.   Being Scottish isn't a belief system one joins voluntarily by pinching pennies and eating revolting sheep gizzards.

I think it's pertinent to point out that IS attracts the "allegiance" (sometimes ex post) of a significant number of people with no discernible religious background or inclinations and that it advocates conduct contrary to the Quran or any known Sunni sharia school.  At least if you believe that one should understand a phenomenon if one wants to combat it effectively.  As opposed to grind some political axe.

Serbs would eat pork to Albanians? How does that even work?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Quote from: The Brain on July 26, 2016, 04:20:15 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 26, 2016, 03:47:27 PM

Serbs would eat pork to Albanians? How does that even work?

"Long pig".
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Great Santini

I have a solution to this. A final solution.

Sheilbh

One other thought is how weird is it to attack a Church at a Tuesday mass? I may be generalising but that is literally a service only for nuns and legionaries of Mary :blink:
Let's bomb Russia!

dps

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 26, 2016, 06:17:23 PM
One other thought is how weird is it to attack a Church at a Tuesday mass? I may be generalising but that is literally a service only for nuns and legionaries of Mary :blink:

Well, it's possible that who the attackers wanted to target.  It's also possible that they can't read a calendar properly and didn't know what day it was. 

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 26, 2016, 06:17:23 PM
One other thought is how weird is it to attack a Church at a Tuesday mass?

Same reason the 9/11 hijackers did what they did on a Tuesday.  Slow day, manageable crowds.