News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Why Canada's a bit shit

Started by Brazen, July 07, 2016, 06:06:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

I worked with Canadian colleagues, and their counterparts back home were told not to come into work when it was below -20C, I think, as the risk of frostbite was too high.

Brazen

Quote from: garbon on July 08, 2016, 10:03:17 AM
Quote from: Valmy on July 08, 2016, 09:55:55 AM
I have been told Bristol is one of the most boring places in the world. But those people have never spent time in a Texas suburb so what do they know?

Bristol is pretty nice.
Also Cockney rhyming slang for boobs. I'll let you work that one out yourselves.

Malthus

Just out of interest, I was thinking about what exactly I was wearing when I had to spend some time outside on the coldest day I can remember - it was down to -38 C.

On feet: two pairs of socks - an inner wicking one, and an outer fleecy one. The pants tucked into the outer socks. Insulated boots.

On legs: wicking long underwear, then an insulating thick long underwear, then pants.

On torso: wicking long underwear top, then a shirt, then a down-filled coat.

On head: balaclava, goggles, down-filled hood. Exposed skin (lips etc.) smeared with Vaseline.

On hands: thick mitts with fur on the inside (gloves are useless when it is that cold).

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Brazen on July 08, 2016, 10:14:07 AM
I worked with Canadian colleagues, and their counterparts back home were told not to come into work when it was below -20C, I think, as the risk of frostbite was too high.

Heh. -20 isn't so bad. It is that cold for weeks at a time here, and we certainly go to work in it.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 08, 2016, 10:01:47 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on July 08, 2016, 09:31:42 AM
There are clothes for 30C, clothes for 20C, clothes for 10C, and clothes for 0C.  However, I would have assumed that the clothes for 0C are basically invincible.  So the clothes for -30C are the same as the clothes for 0C.

Degrees are not linear.
Actually, they are.  :nerd:

Josquius

I have been told Bristol is one of the most boring places in the world. But those people have never spent time in a Texas suburb so what do they know?
Been there only briefly but I hear it and Brighton are the 2 good cities in the south
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

I think Bristol is only boring to someone who is spending their first year in London, Paris, NY et al and is striking a bit of a pose.

garbon

Quote from: Brazen on July 08, 2016, 10:15:15 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 08, 2016, 10:03:17 AM

Bristol is pretty nice.
Also Cockney rhyming slang for boobs. I'll let you work that one out yourselves.

Unimpressed as it seems the Bristol bit is irrelevant. <_<
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Brazen

Quote from: Tyr on July 08, 2016, 10:32:10 AM
Been there only briefly but I hear it and Brighton are the 2 good cities in the south
Just out of interest, where does "the south" start for you? Manchester?

Josquius

Quote from: Brazen on July 08, 2016, 11:01:22 AM
Quote from: Tyr on July 08, 2016, 10:32:10 AM
Just out of interest, where does "the south" start for you? Manchester?

I know it's wrong but it's somewhat there in my mind anyway: York.
Serious answer: the border runs between the Humber and the Mersey
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

I use the old counties for my definition of the North, which is Cumberland, Westmorland, Northumberland, Durham, Lancashire and Yorkshire.

mongers

Well Bristol is sort of disfigured by it's outer 'ring road' and how traffic is handled nearer in and in the city centre itself; from my point of view it somewhat spoils the place, though it has some good museums.

Can't speak for the nightlife as i've not been out in the city for many a year, used to have some quite good music venue.s
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

dps

Quote from: Brazen on July 08, 2016, 06:10:33 AM
Before we all set off to Singapore to set up a Languish commune, let us remind ourselves of its rather intolerant views towards homosexuality, chewing gum, smoking, litter and vandalism (for which an American was famously caned). Also:

QuoteNot flushing the toilet is more than just a breach of propriety in Singapore, you will be breaking the law if you do so. Expect to pay a fine if you get caught. Don’t even think of urinating in elevators, as they are equipped with Urine Detection Devices (UDD), which detect the scent of urine, setting off an alarm and closing the doors until the police arrive to arrest the offender.

http://www.goabroad.com/articles/study-abroad/singapore-laws-to-know-before-you-go

I don't think I've ever stepped into an elevator and thought, "This would be a good place to take a leak".  Is urinating in elevators a British thing?

Josquius

I've heard of it happening.... but that it would be enough of a problem lifts all need special detectors to stop it?
Seems overkill.
██████
██████
██████

DGuller

Quote from: dps on July 08, 2016, 03:53:08 PM
I don't think I've ever stepped into an elevator and thought, "This would be a good place to take a leak".
If you're alone, why not?