Zika, drugs, and medals: The Rio Olympics thread

Started by celedhring, July 02, 2016, 04:12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Berkut on August 15, 2016, 08:01:58 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 15, 2016, 07:59:18 AM
Yeah. I've no issue with home team bias. And likewise I want Team GB to do as well as possible. Only way I want someone else to win is if they're particularly charming (the O'Donovans, Bolt), they're just incredible (Bolt, Biles) or there's some sort of really impressive backstory :P

Indeed - there has to be something to catch your interest, and absent that something, they come from my country is a great substitute.

That is one thing that is really cool about the Olympics though - it is mostly individual, so you can get some really great individual stories.

For sure, and there is no reason to find any rationality in it. Watching sports is having your tribalist instincts satisfied, plus just clear fun.

I was not talking about supporting your nation in general. I was talking about the cases where one feels they are of better value because they share the nationality of a successful athlete. Which is a thing.

Berkut

Quote from: Gups on August 15, 2016, 08:08:03 AM
Quote from: Berkut on August 15, 2016, 08:02:36 AM
I kind of assume that anyone not American by default roots against the US?

I root against Russia and China, but other than that I don't care that much. I'll root for small countries that hardly get any medals.

That is what I mean - the US wins the most, so I assume that absent some reason otherwise, most people are rooting for someone to knock off the Americans. I know I would...well, not over the godless Commies of course, but other than that...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

celedhring

Yeah  :P

I'm big on rooting for underdogs, and you just are never the underdog.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on August 15, 2016, 08:03:17 AM
There are lots of teams I cheer for besides the US. I want to see Mexico, Canada, Great Britain, and France all do well. If the US cannot win it then I want one of them to do so.
Mainly Ireland. It's mostly cheering effort ("We're seventeen!"). But occasionally it pays off like with the O'Donovans - "steak, spuds and pull like a dog" :wub:
Let's bomb Russia!

Berkut

Quote from: Tamas on August 15, 2016, 08:08:29 AM
Quote from: Berkut on August 15, 2016, 08:01:58 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 15, 2016, 07:59:18 AM
Yeah. I've no issue with home team bias. And likewise I want Team GB to do as well as possible. Only way I want someone else to win is if they're particularly charming (the O'Donovans, Bolt), they're just incredible (Bolt, Biles) or there's some sort of really impressive backstory :P

Indeed - there has to be something to catch your interest, and absent that something, they come from my country is a great substitute.

That is one thing that is really cool about the Olympics though - it is mostly individual, so you can get some really great individual stories.

For sure, and there is no reason to find any rationality in it. Watching sports is having your tribalist instincts satisfied, plus just clear fun.

It's pretty easy to find the rationality in it, actually. It's fun, and is harmless.

I was not talking about supporting your nation in general. I was talking about the cases where one feels they are of better value because they share the nationality of a successful athlete. Which is a thing.

Well yeah, it is kind of weird when people actually start thinking that it means something more than it does, that there is substantial meaning behind those preferences.

It is why I really appreciate Arizona State University. Most rivals have to kind of fake their disgust for the rival, but ASU makes it so easy by actually, objectively, and truly being a stereotype of nearly everything trite, shallow, and embarrassing about higher education in America. I feel badly for other people who have to basically make up things to hate about their rivals.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Richard Hakluyt

There is usually someone else that one would prefer to root for. I have a soft spot for most of the Commonwealth countries for example, Ireland is a home nation as far as I am concerned, Jamaica is also British  :lol:

Back in the cold war I used to root for the USA to get more medals than the USSR.

In the beach volleyball I just root for the prettiest girls  :P

Gups

Quote from: Berkut on August 15, 2016, 08:13:52 AM
It is why I really appreciate Arizona State University. Most rivals have to kind of fake their disgust for the rival, but ASU makes it so easy by actually, objectively, and truly being a stereotype of nearly everything trite, shallow, and embarrassing about higher education in America. I feel badly for other people who have to basically make up things to hate about their rivals.

Yeah, literally the only good thing about being a Charlton fan is that our local rivals Millwall are objectively speaking the nastiest, most thuggish, racist twats in a competitive English field. Even their anthem is "Nobody likes us...we don't care"

celedhring

Sports following is probably the most harmless manifestation of our tribal instincts one could find in our modern societies. Nothing wrong with it as long as people keep perspective.

Besides that, Real Madrid are the spawn of Satan and it's the duty of all the kind-earthed to wish utter destruction upon them.

Sheilbh

In rivalries I've lucked out in being an Everton fan :)
Let's bomb Russia!

Gups

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 15, 2016, 08:30:55 AM

Really? Its always seemed a bit unrequited to me.  Everton fans hate Liverpool but most Liverpool fans quite like Everton is a bit of a patronising way.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

lustindarkness

Interesting conversation. I rooted to Bolt last night, but I would not shed a tear for him, while national pride has had a bigger effect on me this week. Actually, it surprised me how I reacted to Monica Puig's gold.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Valmy

:lol:

Damn I am going to miss him after this Olympics.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Gups on August 15, 2016, 08:34:57 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 15, 2016, 08:30:55 AM

Really? Its always seemed a bit unrequited to me.  Everton fans hate Liverpool but most Liverpool fans quite like Everton is a bit of a patronising way.

Everton sucks. Boring.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: lustindarkness on August 15, 2016, 08:42:00 AM
Interesting conversation. I rooted to Bolt last night, but I would not shed a tear for him, while national pride has had a bigger effect on me this week. Actually, it surprised me how I reacted to Monica Puig's gold.

Come be a state! America need more golds :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."