Zika, drugs, and medals: The Rio Olympics thread

Started by celedhring, July 02, 2016, 04:12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 16, 2016, 08:13:53 PM
I have no patience for pro-Russian trolls anymore--not in the Ukraine and not on Languish.   :mad: :mad: :mad:

Come on now, I thought it was a class AAA anti-Russian/corruption troll.  :(

Jacob

I have no patience for pro-Russian trolls anymore--not in the Ukraine and not on Languish.   :mad: :mad: :mad:

But... but... it wasn't pro Russian. He was saying the judges were bribed.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Habbaku

I have no patience for pro-Russian trolls anymore--not in the Ukraine and not on Languish.

:hmm:  Now who's pro-Russian?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

US women's beach volleyball out in the semis to Brazil.  The end of the American Century.  :(

celedhring

Is it me or are the Brazilian spectators being a bunch of jerks? Whenever there's a Brazilian competing with chances of winning metal, the crowds often jeer the rivals pretty loudly. Heck, I saw them cheer when an American gymnast made a mistake the other day that gave one of their countrymen a medal.

I don't remember the crowds in past Olympics being so brazenly un-sporting. Supporting the home team? Sure, but respecting the rivals.

Liep

Quote from: celedhring on August 17, 2016, 04:06:26 AM
Is it me or are the Brazilian spectators being a bunch of jerks? Whenever there's a Brazilian competing with chances of winning metal, the crowds often jeer the rivals pretty loudly. Heck, I saw them cheer when an American gymnast made a mistake the other day that gave one of their countrymen a medal.

I don't remember the crowds in past Olympics being so brazenly un-sporting. Supporting the home team? Sure, but respecting the rivals.

It is not you, they are being dicks. IOC even had to apologize to the French pole jumper after the Brazilians booed him on his final try yesterday and then again when he received the silver medal because he said after the competition that booing was something you did at football not at athletics.

Usually Olympic crowds are phenomenal at cheering on everyone.

But I must admit I somewhat enjoy it when they boo the former convicted dope cheats. :blush:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Larch

They were mentioning that last night in the TVE feed, but they were talking about Athletics. Some Brazilian had taken gold and a French silver, and they were booing the French when he was receiving his medal. Even the Brazilian athlete looked distressed by the spectators' reaction.

Maladict

Were they expecting to sweep the board? The world cup should have taught them hosting is no insurance against dismal failure.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

I didn't know Oakland Raiders and Filthydelphia fans made the trip to Brazil.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

celedhring

Our last two medals have been won by a Cuban runner that defected in 2013, and an Oxford-born rower with the very Spanish name of "Marcus Walz".  :hmm:

Ah well, the army of the Duke of Alba were mostly Italians and Germans, too. We are used to employing foreigners to bring us glory.

The Brain

Quote from: celedhring on August 17, 2016, 10:53:06 AM
Our last two medals have been won by a Cuban runner that defected in 2013,

Jesus. Can someone get him some prunes?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.