This is why we need to stop being such douchebags about gun violence research

Started by Berkut, June 15, 2016, 10:02:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 21, 2016, 01:20:25 PM
Honest question from an amateur:  what sorts of uses are there for an AR-15, other than collectability?  Is it useful for sporting or hunting?  Other things?

Aside what been said by B and BB. One just needs to look at the assault rifle development and why it was created to get an answer.

No one can use the excuse for hunting (unless humans). Utter bullshit. The run of the mill assault rifle is not more accurate than the average bolt gun. They are more expensive to boot and less accurate. Most states have caliber restrictions on big game. One shot one down animal. High capacity is irrelevant. You don't fill the thing full of holes. Rather counterproductive. Not to mention you'd be laughed out of any serious hunting camp as a fool.

Varmints you say, again bullshit. To accurize an AR costs even more dough. The cost of an accurized AR, you could buy an accurized bolt gun with a nice scope for 500 yard shooting. Hence serious varmint hunters go bolt action or single shot.

So for hunting, that excuse is utter bullshit.

Home defense they say....bullshit again. A shotgun is far more suitable.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

:lol: Hunting

It's simple, really:  they're cool.  That's all there is to it.

Well, that and to feel better about your penis and protecting yourself from the darkies, the government or even worse: a government of the darkies, by the darkies, for the darkies.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 21, 2016, 07:42:20 PM
:lol: Hunting

It's simple, really:  they're cool.  That's all there is to it.

Well, that and to feel better about your penis and protecting yourself from the darkies, the government or even worse: a government of the darkies, by the darkies, for the darkies.

I have an SR556  zeroed it 3-4 years ago and it hasn't moved since. Maybe 25 total rounds through it, brand new gun. A G-3 (not an assault rifle, but a battle rifle) last time it was out IIRC was 2008.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on June 21, 2016, 07:50:29 PM
I have an SR556  zeroed it 3-4 years ago and it hasn't moved since. Maybe 25 total rounds through it, brand new gun. A G-3 (not an assault rifle, but a battle rifle) last time it was out IIRC was 2008.

Pfft, that's nothing;  I have multiple service medals for the SR338 in BF4, and all the unlocks.

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 21, 2016, 07:51:21 PM
Is accurized a thing?  Or do you mean accessorized?

Accurized. Lap the bolt and barrel, square the receiver, better trigger, etc.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 21, 2016, 07:55:19 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on June 21, 2016, 07:50:29 PM

Pfft, that's nothing;  I have multiple service medals for the SR338 in BF4, and all the unlocks.

Rather saucy again.

Shows how much I use the above two weapons. Notice I said weapons, because that's what they are. Compared my two main hunting rifles a Remington M700 8x57mm and Custom Winchester M70 8x57mm with over 500 rounds between them in just load development.

I should break out the Sako 375 and work up loads with it this year, but have other things to do. It's got a break on it so shooting off the bench all day is no problem. That round makes a 5.56 look comically cute in comparison.

CountDeMoney

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on June 21, 2016, 02:47:08 PM
Getting a silencer is a real pain in the ass.  It's much easier to just go old school and use a pillow.

You can make your own suppressor.  It'll likely be only good for a few shots, but odds are if you really need a suppressor, then you probably only need a few shots.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on June 21, 2016, 08:22:06 PM
Quote from: DGuller on June 21, 2016, 02:47:08 PM
Getting a silencer is a real pain in the ass.  It's much easier to just go old school and use a pillow.

You can make your own suppressor.  It'll likely be only good for a few shots, but odds are if you really need a suppressor, then you probably only need a few shots.

Had a friend try and do that.

One 30-06
One 3 liter bottle stuffed with toilet paper
=
A loud noise and toilet paper all over the range.

11B4V

Razgovory

I think you need something a bit more sturdy than a plastic bottle.  Something that can contain the blast of powder going off.  My understanding is that suppressor works by using something like rubber washers to slow down both the gas and the bullet to a subsonic speed.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on June 21, 2016, 08:40:31 PM
I think you need something a bit more sturdy than a plastic bottle.  Something that can contain the blast of powder going off.  My understanding is that suppressor works by using something like rubber washers to slow down both the gas and the bullet to a subsonic speed.

Oh they can be made to be sure. I'm not disagreeing with you in anyway.  I'm sure you could Google also.