News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Mass killing in Orlando gay nightclub

Started by Malicious Intent, June 12, 2016, 06:45:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoupa

No, I think I'll talk down to you whities all day everyday when it comes to racism. Make America Great Again!

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Quote from: Zoupa on June 14, 2016, 08:00:26 PM
No, I think I'll talk down to you whities all day everyday when it comes to racism. Make America Great Again!

Pitiful, but what you can expect from a country where one of the major parties was founded by a racist war criminal.  But maybe we should go soft on you, you haven't an ethnic cleansing in like six years.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zoupa

Quote from: Razgovory on June 14, 2016, 08:13:44 PM

Pitiful, but what you can expect from a country where one of the major parties was founded by a racist war criminal.  But maybe we should go soft on you, you haven't an ethnic cleansing in like six years.

I am deeply hurt by those words. Deeply!

Razgovory

Quote from: Zoupa on June 14, 2016, 08:15:28 PM

Yes, yes, to you we must seem like race traitors.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: Barrister on June 14, 2016, 02:00:10 PM
Quote from: Martinus on June 14, 2016, 01:25:03 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 14, 2016, 01:23:06 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on June 14, 2016, 01:00:39 PM
However from a legal perspective I am not sure immigration, which has always been a political question decided by Congress, is the same as firearms ownership which there is an accepted (by the Supreme Court) individual right to own firearms.

As much as I question the wisdom of widespread firearms ownership, I don't believe regulation of it under our current constitution is as straightforward as immigration. But just like I advocate changing the constitution if necessary to prohibit Muslim immigration I'd be fine with changing the constitution to reduce firearms ownership.

There's no right for foreigners to immigrate to the US.  If you wanted to legally you could stop all immigration.  Whether that would be a good idea economically, and given the problems with illegal immigration whether it could practically be done, are questions for another day.

But once you do allow immigration it has to be done in compliance with the Bill of Rights.  And allowing/rejecting immigrants based on their religion would clearly violate the 1st amendment.

Amending the constitution means amending the separation of church and state.  I'm not sure you really want to go down that road...

You are wrong. The 1st amendment bans imposing a state church. It does not mean members of certain religions cannot be banned from entering the US.

Oh come on.  Now I know we're both non-American lawyers, but surely you have some passing familiarity with the past 200+ years of caselaw on the 1st amendment?  It's been held to go a hell of a lot further than not establishing a state church.  The courts have held that it means there must be a complete separation between church and state, which includes not giving preference to members of one religion over another.

Beyond that, the First Amendment isn't just the Establishment of Religion clause, there's also the Free Exercise of Religion Clause in there, among other things.  "We're not going to infringe on your right to freedom of religion, we're just not going to let you into the country if the religion you choose to exercise is one we don't like" isn't going to pass Constitutional muster.

It's funny how so many of the things being said about Muslims nowadays are so similar to things said about the Irish in the first half of the 19th Century, or the Slavs and Italians in the 2nd half of the 19th, or the Hispanics more recently.  "They don't hold to the same values we do",  "They can't/won't assimilate", etc.  It was bigoted, nativist bullshit then, and it's bigoted, nativist bullshit now.  The evidence is pretty overwhelming that most immigrants will assimilate as quickly as we let them.

Valmy

So...how is Ferguson doing these days Missouri? All those blacks all nice and integrated by your magical integration powers? Since it seems it is our enlightenment that has made our Muslims so very happy. Not at all that we limit their immigration to educated middle class professionals. Hey how many of those Syrian immigrants did we let in to enjoy our enlightened toleration?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

dps

Quote from: Valmy on June 14, 2016, 08:27:02 PM

So...how is Ferguson doing these days Missouri? All those blacks all nice and integrated by your magical integration powers?

QuoteThe evidence is pretty overwhelming that most immigrants will assimilate as quickly as we let them.

Valmy

Quote from: dps on June 14, 2016, 08:28:58 PM
QuoteThe evidence is pretty overwhelming that most immigrants will assimilate as quickly as we let them.

Oh for fuck sake. Yeah and France has not had a non-Nazi aided ethnic cleansing in a few centuries. We are talking shit here.

I am the guy who wanted to bring all those Syrians here. I know they would be overweight suburbanite slobs in no time.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 14, 2016, 06:35:28 PM
Berkut is right:  America does not have a "Muslim problem"--and neither would Europe, if it didn't have a problem with Muslims.  But you ignorant racist fucks never fucking learn, whether it's the Jews, Africans, Middle Easterners or Miscellaneous. 
global unemployment rate is nearly 3 times higher in France than in the US.
US Muslims make less than 1% of the pop.  In Belgium, it's over 5%. In France close to 10%  And they're mostly concentrated in areas around Brussels, the capital.

Combine these facts with the low education (even those with university degrees, their qualifications are not always on par with those of Western universities) of the European muslims who are often refugees rather than immigrant (per capita, the US admits less Syrian refugees than Canada, and that's under Obama.  I'd be surprised if it was higher than Europe), and you begin to understand that it's a little more complicated than simple racism.  After all, just for France, we're talking about 4-5% gap in unemployment rate between those of French origins and those of muslim/arabic origins.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

So...how is Ferguson doing these days Missouri? All those blacks all nice and integrated by your magical integration powers? Since it seems it is our enlightenment that has made our Muslims so very happy. Not at all that we limit their immigration to educated middle class professionals. Hey how many of those Syrian immigrants did we let in to enjoy our enlightened toleration?

I dunno, man...let's review, with those textbooks used in Texas schools...

Zoupa

Quote from: Razgovory on June 14, 2016, 08:21:18 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on June 14, 2016, 08:15:28 PM

Yes, yes, to you we must seem like race traitors.

Who's this "we"? You're hard to follow.

Anyways. There is no race in France, we moved past the 18th century.  :frog:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Zoupa on June 14, 2016, 08:34:32 PM
Anyways. There is no race in France, we moved past the 18th century.  :frog:

Yeah, by train.  Courtesy of SNCF.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 14, 2016, 08:34:21 PM

I dunno, man...let's review, with those textbooks used in Texas schools...

Das ist gut