(((The Jewish Cowbell))): Unpacking a Gross New Meme from the Alt-Right

Started by jimmy olsen, June 03, 2016, 12:21:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 03, 2016, 04:02:57 PM
'A speck of dirt is way more qualified to be president'. He's a 'delusional narcissist and an orange faced windbag'. 'Do we really want a commander in chief who is eager to use nuclear weapons?'

'I've always said I'll support whoever's nominee.'

That doesn't seem defensible to me.

It does to me.  You make a pledge, you honor it, regardless of how distasteful it is.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 03, 2016, 04:15:52 PM
It does to me.  You make a pledge, you honor it, regardless of how distasteful it is.
Even if you've said and presumably think Trump's utterly unqualified to be President and eager to use nukes? If I thought that and actually had a position of influence there's not many promises I wouldn't break to try and stop them becoming President. My conscience would matter too much to me.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

'A speck of dirt is way more qualified to be president'. He's a 'delusional narcissist and an orange faced windbag'. 'Do we really want a commander in chief who is eager to use nuclear weapons?'

:yes: It was morally unacceptable for German generals to turn against the Führer.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on June 03, 2016, 11:15:43 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 03, 2016, 01:05:29 AM
Seems like they favor the Republican candidate for President.

Our system only gives them two real choices.  If we had a true multi-party system, they would have their own loony like the Euro countries do.

Yeah, here's the thing, these guys weren't coming out the woodwork over Bush or Romney.  I think this constituency existed in the GOP for a long time, but the party was careful to not make overt overtures to them, relying on on dog whistles.  They feel emboldened by Trump and making themselves known.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Only to a certain point.  It wasn't a suicide pact, so I think "eager to use nukes", is where you break your word.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Jacob on June 03, 2016, 01:03:39 PM
Quote from: Legbiter on June 03, 2016, 12:45:57 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 03, 2016, 09:54:10 AM
I don't understand the "troll" point.  Is there any reason to think these people don't believe what they say?  Is there something about degenerate racists harassing people that somehow becomes cute or acceptable because it is done through an internet connection?

Of course we don't understand it. We're all normie scum to be triggered for lulz. Anon chan culture + 17 year old lettowites = /pol/.

I don't think Minsky was saying he doesn't understand the trolls. He was saying he doesn't understand that the argument they're trolls somehow mitigates their actions.

I thought the point is that they aren't trolls, i.e. people who say things they don't genuinely believe just rile others up, but rather people with genuinely-held antisemitic beliefs; and that the fact that they're online doesn't change the basic "racists provoking people" dynamic.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

The Brain

Quote from: Berkut on June 03, 2016, 01:17:15 PM
Quote from: Martinus on June 03, 2016, 12:57:37 PM
Even if some of these memes are actually inspired by hate (as opposed to just a desire to rile people), is this really a pressing issue we should be caring about? All kinds of nasty right wing white supremacists, antisemites etc. are the margin of the margin in the US right now - they are completely irrelevant. They are not the ones burning down police cars or causing people to lose their jobs because of a not-well-thought-out tweets.

<boggle>

I know Marty's embrace of ultra-right bigotry should not really be a surprise anymore, but somehow it still is...I guess that says more about me than it does about him.

Ooh! Ooh! Before I forget! :w00t:

Mart's favorite statue: Penis de Milo.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on June 03, 2016, 05:49:15 PM
I thought the point is that they aren't trolls, i.e. people who say things they don't genuinely believe just rile others up, but rather people with genuinely-held antisemitic beliefs; and that the fact that they're online doesn't change the basic "racists provoking people" dynamic.

Yeah for sure, it's just that some people think that if they say "it's just trolling" that means it shouldn't be taken seriously.

Capetan Mihali

Yes, kind of the Web 2.0 version of the conversational "I was only joking..."
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on June 03, 2016, 04:04:55 PM
Not just that but also the fact that there are hardly any reports of these people being violent

Sure those guys in the Charleston church just tripped and accidently fell into bullets that were lying about.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

dps

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on June 03, 2016, 05:49:15 PM
Quote from: Jacob on June 03, 2016, 01:03:39 PM
Quote from: Legbiter on June 03, 2016, 12:45:57 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 03, 2016, 09:54:10 AM
I don't understand the "troll" point.  Is there any reason to think these people don't believe what they say?  Is there something about degenerate racists harassing people that somehow becomes cute or acceptable because it is done through an internet connection?

Of course we don't understand it. We're all normie scum to be triggered for lulz. Anon chan culture + 17 year old lettowites = /pol/.

I don't think Minsky was saying he doesn't understand the trolls. He was saying he doesn't understand that the argument they're trolls somehow mitigates their actions.

I would assume it's a mix.  No way I can see how you'd figure if it's a 50/50 split, or more like 90/10, or whether a particular person is a genuine anti-Semite or just a troll.  Not sure what difference it makes, anyway--it's distasteful trash one way or the other.

LaCroix

Quote from: JacobYeah for sure, it's just that some people think that if they say "it's just trolling" that means it shouldn't be taken seriously.
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on June 03, 2016, 10:40:36 PM

where does this mentality end? if peoples' jokes should be taken seriously and those people should be condemned, where do we stop?

Jacob

Quote from: LaCroix on June 04, 2016, 03:05:58 PM
Quote from: JacobYeah for sure, it's just that some people think that if they say "it's just trolling" that means it shouldn't be taken seriously.
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on June 03, 2016, 10:40:36 PM

where does this mentality end? if peoples' jokes should be taken seriously and those people should be condemned, where do we stop?

Maybe we stop making jokes like that?